Anderson Family Zoo

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How sad is it that I just learned about the full reply box? :baghead

I wondered how people posted pictures without editing. I have always used the quick reply. SOOOO glad to have spell check again!

Poor Becky had to go back to the vet today. She still has the sticky wet eyes. They aren't crusty but it's not normal either. They checked her teeth again and confirmed they are fine. Her ears have a small amount of wax in the one, but it is clean with no sign of inflammation. Heart, lungs, and tummy sound good. She's got a new kind of eye drop and oral antibiotics for two more weeks. Luckily she is eating, drinking, pooping, and playing just fine. I'm not sure what to think. :imsick:

Bonding with Cindi and Houdini (to me, each other is fine already) is moving along well. Cindi gave me a tooth purr this morning when she had her mandatory cuddle :)

She still makes me chase her around to pick her up the first time, but then she will sit still and I can give her more scratches on the ground. They both will take treats from my fingers now too.

I'm starting to think it is a game. :running bunnyAre you going to work hard enough to pet me this morning? It is cute when I walk in the room they both come running, I'm the person with the FOOD!

The birds and turtles have been a bit quiet with the storms. They tend to hunker down when there are thunderstorms in the area. Perhaps it is the pressure change? They are inside so they can't be afraid of getting wet. The gerbils are happy as ever. As long as I keep them supplied with food and cardboard they are a happy couple. :dude:

Health wise I am doing better. My neck clunked back into place so it's not painful anymore. I'm a bit fussy and tired because I haven't been sleeping well for some reason. On the bright side, the acupuncture is obviously working. I'm tolerating the storms much better than expected. :biggrin2:

Here are pictures of the shipping paper and Becky. Look closely, there is a rabbit in here:

100_0997.jpg

Resting after all the hard work ripping and arranging:

100_1000.jpg

Last night I came home to this:

100_1002.jpg

Andre has a bad habit of jumping onto the fish tank and using it as his personal buns-warmer. Well, the glass top had enough and broke. Luckily no one was hurt. I had to go to PetSmart to replace the glass cover. Joshua failed to see the huge rush, thinking the cat wouldn't like to get wet so he would leave it alone. I pointed out that the light fixture could have fallen into the water too. The response: "really, how many volts is that?" classic. I don't know how many volts, but I'm not willing to find out if it is too many or not! Silly boy. :p

Aquatic frogs are really easy to take care of. If you already have a community fish tank you can just add them in no problem. They are not aggressive at all. If you have a tank with aggressive fish you may want to give the frog its own tank because it can't defend itself. Having plants in the tank is a good idea so they have an area to hang out on. He tends to hang out mid to top level sitting on a leaf. The cool thing is that he can also float all stretched out like he's sky diving. :)

They can live in "beta bowls", but I think that is mean to give them so little space. They can eat regular fish food and tend to be smart in getting their own share. In my tank I use a feeding ring so the guppies can eat from the surface without the filter current sinking the flakes as fast. Kermit will swim over to the ring when he sees a person coming up to the tank, so do the guppies. What ever sinks he is right there to scarf up.

Oh, Kermit is an African Dwarf Frog, or also called African Clawed Frog. You can even get them from educational stores as a kit so you can watch the tadpole change into a frog. You can have more than one in a tank with your fish since they don't fight. He doesn't even bother my tiny cherry shrimp. Once in a while he might eat a shrimp baby if they swim pass the end of his nose, but it has not effected the population.

I got Kermit at PetSmart, so I think they are easy to find. If you have any other questions let me know. :)

I had one of these too and I really enjoyed it :biggrin:I sort of miss having a tank... I don't think I am disciplined enough for one again and Jeff isn't fond of the idea either but I think the frogs and shrimp are just wonderful to have :)Thanks for the pics Brandy :biggrin:

Thanks. It is a super easy tank to take care of since the bio-load is so light. 1 frog, 3 male guppies, and 12 red cherry shrimp. I change a bucket worth of water every two weeks and feed lightly. The live plants also help keep it clean. No scrubbing! :)

Yesterday I was cleaning my office, aka bunn room. Houdini and Cinderella were getting into EVERYTHING! I was so frustrated I was almost in tears. I finally got Cindi out from under the bird cage for the 5th time that day and snapped. I picked her up so we were nose to nose and told her "if you do that one more time it's off to the stew pot for you!".

She was good the rest of the afternoon. I feel bad for telling her that, but I just wanted to get their house all clean. I have fencing up but they keep getting over/around/under to get under the bird table. The problem is that there are cords under there and I don't want them shocked. I have to keep trying to bunny proof it. Rabbits 50 million, Human 0.

You could probably have around a dozen frogs in a tank that size if you have a basic power filter. The biggest thing is not to over feed them because it just messes up the water. Once you have it set up I would love to see pictures. :)

Awww, thanks guys. I had stopped writing because I didn't think anyone was reading. I have a bunch of pictures of Indy too, the new bun. :)

I'm at work now, but will start catching up tonight. :)

ok, now I'm home so I can get all caught up. You didn't miss much in mid to late May. I got Lyme's Disease so I spent 2 weeks in bed and another 2 weeks trying to feel normal again. I am greatful I have short term disability insurance, but the paper work was such a pain in the butt.

June had vacation. I was so nervous leaving the bunns for the first time. Our normal pet sitter came over and I had the spread sheet with all the animals listed, where they are, what they eat, how much, when, where to get the food etc. I packed up meals in baggies to make his life easier.
Apparently Houdini didn't get the memo that he should be good. When we got back Chris (pet sitter) was rather annoyed because he had to keep getting Houdini out from under my desk. :grumpy:
On the bright side, I FINALLY have a set up that is Houdini proof! The current set up he can't get out unless I forget to latch the D rings that keep the door closed. :biggrin::biggrin:

Vacation itself was very nice. We went to Virginia to see a friend, then Georgia for a few days visiting friends, then Louisiana where I was in a wedding, then home. In all we put 3,000 miles on the car. It's a good thing Joshua and I get along, because we were trapped together in a small car for a long way. :)

Work has been crazy busy. I have been trying to catch up for weeks, between being out sick, then vacation, and everyone trying to wrap things up, it adds up. It's a bit stressful with the merger and not knowing what is going to happen with my job. Waiting until September feels like forever, so I have started to look. I loved Atlanta when we were there and would really like to explore possibly moving there. We will see where I can find a good position. I'm thinking of getting back into Regulatory Assurance more rather than the Regulatory Operations. I certainly don't want a young whipper snapper who was raised with computers ending up taking over my job. I guess that is the problem of working in a technology based field. *shrug* God will have to point me in the right direction. :pray:

Critter update next...

The animals in general are doing very well. Nothing new with the birds, turtles, gerbils, or cats. They are all being their cute selves. :biggrin2:

I gave Jaws to a friend because he was just getting too big to handle. I would open the lid at feeding times and he would jump out of the water trying to bite my fingers. No thanks! :shame:

In an attempt to simplify my life and have less stuff to move I am giving a collegue of mine the small fish tank set up. He has a son with brain damage from birth who can use the fish as a vision training tool. I have less stuff and feel good about giving it up. :)

Now the bunnies, what you have been waiting for! Houdini continues to produce tons of fur that I am collecting for my friend to spin. She's pregnant so a bit distracted at the moment, but I understand. He likes to sneak out of the FINALLY bunny proofed house that I constructed in the mornings. I unlach the door, get food dishes to fill, and he runs between my legs to run around the room. He's so happy with himself that I can't get mad. Most mornings I point at the cage and tell him to go home and he does. He binkies back for the sheer joy of being naughty. :bunnydance:

Cinderella is still loosing weight slowly and continuing to enjoy our private time. I know that rabbits don't like getting picked up and you have to take things slow, but I'm so bad at needing to hug all my fur babies every day. So, I would pick them up for a 30 minute cuddle time every night if they liked it or not. As it turns out, they do like it after getting used to it. Cindi used to make me chase her all over the place before I can pick her up. Now, she just sits there and lets me get her for a cuddle session. We watch sitcoms mostly. She loves to have her cheeks and ears petted. She has even started covering me in little bunny kisses as I stroke her back. :halo:

Houdini likes his time too, but normally more if I'm not brushing him. He's so soft it is lovely to lay with him in my lap and just pet and pet.

Becky and mystery bunny up next....

So, who is this Indiana Bunns everyone is talking about?

Indy.jpg

He is Rebecca Lynn's new husbunny ofcourse!

IndyandBecky1.jpg

IndyandBecky2.jpg

Even Andre had to welcome him to the family.

IndyandAndre.jpg

There have been bits and pieces of his story put up on message threads, but I will consolodate here. I found Indy in February of this year on petfinder.com. This was when I had just Becky and I was looking for a husband. Unfortunately he was not available at that time, so I ended up going to HRS and came home with Cindi....

The reason he was not available for so long is because he came from an abuse/extreme neglect situation. He was kept in a wire bottomed cage that was much too small. The people finally turned him in saying they "developed allergies" so they couldn't keep him. What the rescue group found was he was very malnourished and dirty. He didn't know how to hop or periscope. Poor Indy had somekind of raging infection they needed to get under control ASAP. The poor boy went through months of antibiotics and finally surgery to remove a severely infected eye. He also can not hear on his blind side from the infection being so bad before treatment was started. A week ago the cone of shame was removed and he was given a clean bill of health! :big wink:

Indy came home with us and is learning how to do normal bunny things. At first I was really worried because he would lay in his own urine. After cleaning him up I think he realized that Becky laid with him much more when he was clean than when he was wet. Now he spends a lot of time in the litter box, but at least he's dry! Each day I see him get a little more bold in moving around their home. We have his and hers potties and he likes to jump between them, which is so cute.

334.jpg

He likes to sleep with his butt in the air too

335.jpg

313.jpg

The "eye patch" on the blind side is how he got his name.

316.jpg

Checking out the bed with Becky

320.jpg

319.jpg

326.jpg

The love affair between Becky and Indy has not been overly passionate, but it hasn't been volitile either. Since they are both "special" I think they get eachother. They have a common background and both are relieved to have the extra space to enjoy life to the fullest. Indy has very quickly come to love oats on breakfast and lots of greens at night. Food is a common bond for them.

328.jpg

329.jpg

330.jpg

331.jpg

339.jpg

338.jpg

337.jpg

As far as I know, the only kisses were when I put babyfood on Becky's head. Indy licked it off, but then started to try to eat her hair. He doesn't really seem to know how to be a rabbit, but Becky is teaching him. Hopefully he will catch on that SHE is the one to be groomed first and then he MAY get groomed if she feels like it.

I think for now he's still stuck in learned helplessness, but at least he got out of the urine and is starting to come out of the box. For one week I say that is HUGE progress! She's a bit mad at all the attention I give him, so I am trying to give her extra attention by herself as well.

I think it is kind of cute that she will give him grief for this or that, but if Andre comes into their house, Becky always gets in between the cat and Indy. I guess she feels that she can pick on her husbunny, but no one else can bother him. ;)

I hope you enjoy this update. I promise more pictures and more regular updates, but I'm sleepy for now. Sweet bunny dreams to all.

More pictures that I don't think I have posted:

Caught red pawed stealing the oates bag
100_1108.jpg

100_1103.jpg

100_1102.jpg

Becky loves playing on the bed! She binkies if you flop the sheet up and down

100_1101.jpg

100_1099.jpg

100_1007.jpg

100_1005.jpg

000_0005.jpg

I feel like Jimmy Neutron with a brain blast! :p

When I picked up Indy I was told his only "bad habbit" was boxing if you put your hand in front of his face. After feeding and playing with him I had seen this behavior, but it didn't really seem like aggression to me. He wasn't lunging or even attempting to bite. His body language didn't say fear or anger. :?

Tonight it hit me! He has drastically limited vision, so what if he's using his paws as an adaptation for finding the food right in front of his nose? He doesnt' paw at larger items I have handed him like a slice of bannanna. However, with his papya enzyme tablet he does. Tonight he clearly knew what it was when I shook the container. Then I touched the top of his head so he knew where my hands were. He was so excited he was doing little half way up perriscopes. When I slid my hand down to his mouth he sratched at my hand with both of his front feet so I dropped the tablet. I picked it up and tried a second time for the same results. I can't let him sniff along the floor to find it because Becky is right there ready for a second helping if he gives her the chance. So rather than holding it between my index finger and thumb, I laid it on the palm of my hand like I was feeding a horse. This time, no paws. He nuzzled around my hand until he found his yummy snack! :)

I knew Indy wasn't being aggressive, the poor boy is just adapting to his vision loss. He's such a trooper and his personality is becoming more open every day. He may not look like other bunnies, but he has captured my heart completely. :innocent

Latest posts

Back