Anderson Family Zoo

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL Becky just tried to get Indy to move. She nipped him on the bottom, but he's wearing a diaper so he didn't move. She gave him a disgusted look and bit harder. He finally moved over for her. Now she has room to lay between him and the pillow. Silly bunnies :p

Brandy those are so adorable. I really needed those pictures to put a smile on my face.

The pictures in the PJ's and on the U pillow make me melt.

Thank you so much for poisting them.

Hugs

Susan :)

Today I am feeling a bit sad. I had posted Indy's pictures on FB in the rabbits with disabilities room because there was a conversation about clothes. Now there is someone leaving the group because they feel that we are treating the bunns like dolls. That is not my intent and I do not think of Indy like a doll. I want to keep him clean and warm after his bath. He has come such a long way and the urine scald is almost gone. He is really starting to trust. He doesn't fight when I put him in his clothes and he fell asleep in my arms, so I can't imagine he's upset. He seemed to really like the cuddle time. I guess some people jump to conclusions and I can't have everyone like me. Oh well.

Tracy has a bug up her bum today too. For some reason she is taking it personally that I was out sick yesterday. Excuse me for not being able to walk. I'm so frustrated with her sticking her nose into my business. She goes out of her way to point out my absences and tries to make it look like I am abusing the system. Yes I have been out a lot of days this year, but 2 weeks was from Lyme and crap happens with Fibro. Gerrr She just wants my job, but she couldn't do it if she were given it. There's a reason why she's in her 50s and still an admin. Technology isn't her thing, she gets bored and doesn't pay attention. I have tried to be nice and teach her things, then she just stabs me in the back. No more nice, I'm not teaching her anything else. She screws it up anyway.

Oh I wish I were home with my pets. They just love me and are straight forward. I hate politics in the work place. Leave me alone and let me do my job! I guess it's another cheese with my whine day. :p

This morning I was watching Indy and Becky eat. They both have such gusto when eating. It's adorable to see them race to their bowls and they both make the cutest little piggy grunting as they eat. The funny thing is that they never finish their pellets all at once. For all their enthusiasm they save some for later. LOL Too cute. :p

Houdini was a naughty boy. At some point last night after dinner he managed to jump up on the desk, then to the hay pile, then down on the wrong side of the fence. He had himself wedged in and covered with hay. Luckily he didn't fight with me when I got him out because where he was I probably would have dropped him had he squirmed to get away. He's safe and sound back on the right side of the fence. Next time I'm going to have to take a picture and see if anyone has ideas on how to keep him from doing this. I'm just glad I went looking for him when he didn't rush to his breakfast. That would have been horrible to stay like that all day. :ph34r2

Ok, gotta go to a webinar on mergers. We will see if it's useful. :)

The webinar was surprisingly good. It went over the emotional transition people make with mergers. I has been a long haul from April when the hostile take over was going to happen, then May when this take over was announced. We are expecting a close date in mid October. That is a very long time to remain uncertain if you have a job or not. I'm feeling more optimistic though knowing that everything I have felt and gone through is to be expected. I guess it makes it feel less crazy. There are still a lot of questions, but I feel like I can wait it out rather than jumping ship out of fear. :?

I think more people should have taken the class. There were just people yelling in the VP's office. I hate it when people feel the need to yell at work. Luckily he was able to calm the situation. :shock:

I'm focusing on the bright side, water latin class tonight. It's basically zumba in the water, such a fun class! :biggrin2:

Last night at the gym was great :)

I never thought I would ever be the kind of person that enjoyed going to the gym, it's strange. I'm not really loosing weight, but I am becoming stronger so it's going in the right direction. Yesterday I scheduled my first diabetes education session at the hospital. I want to make sure I know what I should know so I'm making good decisions. I also scheduled a bariatric surgery information session. I think going through Joshua's friend is just going to take too long. I want this done before my insurance changes in January. Hopefully I can push it through that fast.

I'm starting to think about all the things I could do if I were thinner. I would so love to travel more and do more nature hiking. Now it is so hard because everything hurts and I get tired so easily. I may be able to encorperate the hiking soon, but travel is just too hard. I HATE asking for a seat belt extender when I fly. It's just so humiliating. I also very much dislike being stuck like a saussage next to a stranger.

When I hit my goal weight I'm going to the Gallapigos. I have wanted to see it all my life. I hope Joshua looses enough to come with me as well, but I will go by myself if I have to. Some times I wonder if he sabbatoges my food choices. He eats so terribly and loves to eat out. He just doesn't understand why I have to eat certain things at certain times. I'm hoping he will go to my diabetes classes with me so he can understand a bit better. He should be eating this way too, but that is impossible. Even when he was taking the diabetes medicine he wasn't eating properly. He evntually lost 100 pounds and didn't have to take it any more. Unfortunately he has gained it all back. I wonder if he's afraid of me making these choices and leaving him behind? I hope he decides to get the procedure as well so we can go on this adventure together. It will have to be his choice either way.

Sorry, lots of rambling and nothing to do with bunnies.

Oh, Becky was a naughty girl this morning. She is clearly feeling better. I had to scoot her out from under the dresser for her medicine. She thumped me and tried to hide behind the hay box. I gave her the antibiotic and she took it well but thumped me again when I put her down. My little girl is getting more feisty and the eyes are drying up so I'm optimistic that she will be able to stop when we go for her check up next week.

I'm also going to have the vet look over Indy just to be sure. My confidence in our old vet has been so shaken by this experience. They were so highly recommended but couldn't clear the infection. This vet is clearing it up with nothing invasive and the first approach. Plus her fees are half the price, so I'm moving all the animals over to her practice. I was not impressed with the old vet at our last turtle check up either. Rather than discussing feeding and housing with me she gave me a hand out to read. Just seems odd. I was already doing everything in the hand out, but makes me wonder what the check up really included other than a check on their toe nails and beaks, which I do at home. It's so challenging to find a good exotic vet.

Thanks, I do like to ramble :)

Breaking up with the vet is hard to do. I just called the old vet and had my records mailed to the new one. I feel so guilty, but I know this is the right thing to do. My mom just instilled too strong of a guilt reflex. :p

It's great when you find the right vet :inlove:

It is going to be so hard to wait until December for the turtle eggs to hatch. I keep peaking in on them every day but they just SIT THERE! I know, there's all kinds of cell division going on inside, but I can't see it. I wish they had a little text screen on the side: "fertile and healthy, arrival as scheduled". Wouldn't that put my mind at ease? :p

Anyone know when I can candle to see if they are growing inside? :?

I don't want to handle them too much in fear of hurting the potential babies. I have them in slightly damp sphagnum moss in a butter bowl floating in an old aquarium. The water temp is a consistent 80* and it's nice and humid with the solid aquarium lid. There are two eggs. She laid a third but she was in her bath when she laid it, it got kicked round and round so it was no good. The eggs she laid in her house look good. They are beautifully shaped and no dents. They are a nice creamy white and still were slimy when I found them. :biggrin2:

The first year she laid eggs she laid 12 all together! But they were wonky shaped and had brown splotches on them. None of them hatched. They ended up turning black and gross. I think they were stored up eggs from the years of being neglected. The rescue lady said Kate had not laid in the year she was at the rescue. I'm guessing just having consistent nutrition and a happy home got her back to laying and she had to clean out the system before producing healthy eggs.

If nothing else Kate and Leo are happy together, which is what matters. They are so outgoing though I would love to get a baby with their personalities for my nephew. He was so very disappointed when none of the eggs hatched. I'm not telling him about these eggs until the babies are here. That would be a super present for his birthday to give him a little turtle all set up. Don't worry, my sister has agreed. Last year I sent him a turtle care book with notes as to the specifics for three-toed turtles. My sister said it became his favorite bedtime book to read. He's excellent taking care of the guppies I gave him too. So, even though he's 6 I think he would be able to do most of the care on his own. He helps a lot with the family dog and cat as well. He really loves animals. My sister will also be responsible to make sure it is getting the care it needs. It was cool that she asked me a few care questions when she read the book to make sure she understood everything they needed. :)

Now I just have to wait.... and wait.... and wait! :grumpy:

Waiting is indeed hard, but I checked in on them last night and the eggs still look excellent. :)

Poor Indy just can not catch a break. Over the weekend I noticed his eye is getting runny too. So off to the vet we went in the pouring rain last night. He's on antibiotics as well. Hopefully since it just started it won't take as long to clear him up. Becky is doing so much better she will be clear by her check up. The only down side is that she's becoming a pain in the rump to dose. She hides under furniture, she thumps, she kicks, she sulks. Like I want to torture her? I just have to make sure it is completely gone because I don't want it to come back! Only a little while longer.

On the bright side, I cleaned up the house on Sunday and Indy hasn't peed on the floor! I hope that he's finally cured of the horrible habbit of laying in his urine. He's spending a lot of time in the litterbox, but since it has a grate he's staying clean and dry. The key seems to be to let Becky nest in the clean sheet for a week where she likes to lay by the hay box outside of their pen. Then when I use the sheet on the floor it already smells like her so he doesn't pee. I think it is because she won't tollerate it. Even with the door open all the time if he tries to get out of their pen she chases him back into the house! She is very protective of her roaming rights and doesn't want him to pee on the floor and mess it up. Even confined to their house space Indy has a heck of a lot more space than he had previously, so he seems pretty happy. He also gets out for snuggle time with us.

Houdini is taking a particular interest in rearranging his fence along the back wall. Oh what a naughty bunn in a cute way. He is getting behind then fence and then will push it out of his way. I took pictures that I will try to upload tonight. It also looks like he's throwing hay over to Cindi, who then makes a hidy hole out of hay. It can

Hi Brandy how are you doing?:wave::wave2

Hoping your bunnies all get better soon.:bunnynurse:

Love reading your blog you write so well. Love the pictures but I need more. I put a couple new oneson my blog last night.

Are you in an apartment or a house? With all those animals.... you need a castle. LOL. I was in a house now i'm in an apartment . I hate it,but you gotta do what you gotta do. Maybe one day i'll have a house for me and the bunnies.

Hugs to all:hug2:

Susan:weee:

Hi Susan! I'm doing well. I'm getting the diabetes under control. I start an education series at the hospital tomorrow. It's 5 sessions, 10 hours, of individual and group education. I'm also meeting my life coach at the gym today. I started a program called slimdown. It isn't a diet per se, but more of a life style change to healthier. It helps me to have someone hold me accountable other then Joshua. I love him dearly, but he's too good at rationalizing things. Your in pain, so you need the french fries to feel better. Um no, your sympathy is appreciated, fries are my nemesis! It is also a bit of a challenge to stay vegan with such a meat-eating husband. We just end up eating a lot of separate meals.

:bunnysuit:

As for pictures, I take them and end up uploading in bulk. I can write from work but I can't mess with the pictures here. I end up only doing them on weekends because I'm so tired when I get home at night. :caffeine

We are in a 3 bedroom house, 2 of which are animal rooms :biggrin2:I couldn't imagine trying to squish into an apartment with our zoo. I'm sure you will be back in a house once you are more on your feet. Going through a divorce is very difficult. :hug2:

Becky and Indy are well on the mend. His tear duct has already opened so his face is dry. He still has a little bit of a runny nose, but it's getting there. Becky seems totally fine now, but I'm finishing her doses until her check up to be sure. A friend on FB recommended "perfect food" supplements. I actually take them myself for all the benefits of intense chlorophyll and all the good greens it contains. I asked the vet (they don't get ANYTHING not approved by the vet) and she said it looked very good and should help their immune systems. I tried mixing with baby food and that just madea mess. This morning I opened the capsule on top of their breakfast. Indy inhaled everything as normal. Becky sulked as normal since it was right after her medicine. Plus they got basically double dinner last night. I was so tired I just crashed when I got home. Joshua fed them a HUGE salad. LOL I guess he has big eyes for the bunny meals too. Good thing extra greens won't hurt anything. :p

Luv-n-bunns is putting up a new website so I wrote up little bios for the kids to be posted with pictures:

Rebecca Lynn and Indiana Bunns: The tail of two extra special lops

I fell in love with rabbits the day I met Becky. She had been abused- kept in small, dirty conditions and had neurological damage from being hit in the head. As she settled in I found myself amazed at the resiliency of spirit. She learned how to hop and periscope, she gives kisses freely, and loves to play with the cat. I was afraid that she was lonely and went looking for a husbunny. After a long wait Indiana Bunns finally came home. It was love at first sight! Indy had also been abused- kept in small, dirty conditions and an infection was neglected. He lost hearing in one ear and his eye on that side. Luv-n-bunns so lovingly gave him a chance and excellent medical care. Indy is so enthusiastic for food that he drools when its meal time; he likes to sleep in the litter box with his bottom in the air, but has learned to hop in and out; he motors around the room with his nose to the ground sniffing for anything of interest. There is such joy evident in the awkward binkies they display on their evening romps. They are always close to each other and frequently press together for an afternoon nap. Nothing melts my heart more than cuddling them both and hearing them tooth purr as they get petted. Indy still has some emotional scars but he is healing. Both of my little lops are “special” but together they are an extra special pair that I am so grateful to have in my life.

Cinderella and Houdini: The bold and the beautiful

Cinderella spent three years in a rescue after she wasn’t sufficiently “cute and cuddly”, as so many bunns aren’t, after the hormones kick in and before getting spayed. I found her to be a little shy but there was no real aggression. Houdini was born at Luv-n-bunns where he spent most of his first year. When the two met it was love at first sight! Houdini’s boldness complimented Cindi’s shyness. They now have so many adventures together, Houdini leading the way and Cindi close behind. They love to test my intelligence by escaping from their NIC house on a regular basis and roaming the house getting into mischief. Every time I have figured out a solution, I end up finding bunnies where they shouldn’t be. Houdini is notorious at chewing wires so he has to be supervised when out and about. After escaping again, I will tell Houdini he’s a naughty boy and he happily binkies back to his house with Cindi scooting right behind him. As it turns out, Cindi is quite the love bug. She liberally kisses and purrs during cuddle time. Houdini likes to sit next to a person and be stroked, but doesn’t like to sit on laps. He is extremely tolerant of getting groomed, which is a relief since he has long hair. When he is done getting attention he hops back to his house and puts himself away. Cindi and Houdini have been a lovely addition to our animal family.

Oh, I forgot the most exciting news..... Indy is still DRY!!!!!!!!!!!! No peeing on the floor in 4 days!

:biggrin2::party0002::weee::yahoo::pinkbouce::clapping::thankyou:

It is with a heavy heart I report that Indiana Bunns passed away during emergency surgery Tuesday night. He was fine that morning, perhaps a little less enthusiastic about breakfast, but he ate. I was packing raspberries in my lunch and took the time to go feed him one because he loved snacks. I wish I would have given his big, soft ears one last kiss. At least he had a special snack that morning. After work Becky had a vet re-check for her eyes. She's all healed up and looks great, but I wanted to have the vet check just in case. Both bunns go so they end up smelling the same and we don't have any fights. When I got them out of the carrier I noticed Indy's blank eye was a little bulgy.

The vet took him back for emergency surgery because obviously the abscess was back. After they did the prep work, Valium, Metacam, shave the site, and had him out I went back to watch the procedure (I know, I'm weird). They did everything right. They were trying to keep the gas as low as possible, but it looked like he was feeling a little so they turned it up slightly, the pulse ox was good. The abscess was horrible once they got in there. Everything was out and they were putting in a drain when he had a seizure and died. It was so quick, the procedure was only about 10 minutes.

I am grateful that I was with him in the end, he didn't die with strangers. I brought Becky back to see him so she would know what happened. She leaned into him, then nudged his side. When he didn't respond she went up and nudged his nose, but I think she smelled the blood on his face (they tried cleaning him up, but it was still there) and she knew. She turned around and put her feet up on my chest to be picked up. I just cried and cried. Luckily Joshua was with me so he could drive.

We went home and laid in bed eating. Joshua had regular ice cream, I had vegan ice cream, and Becky had banana. The stress caused a fibro flare so I was home yesterday. I coaxed Becky to eat some during the day, but she was clearly sad. I ended up cleaning the litter boxes and rearranged her space so it was different. That seemed to perk her up a bit. She's eating better this morning and I think she will be fine. Andre laid with her yesterday and groomed her face, that helped too. I don't think I will be getting her another husbunny. I think she will be happier with Andre.

I have been going over this again and again in my head, but I can't see where anything went wrong or a bad decision was made. It was just his time. His urn will say "Indiana Buns, loving husbunny and brave adventurer". At least he knew great love at the end and learned to trust. The evening we spent snuggled up together when he gave me a kiss and fell asleep in my arms is even more precious now. I know he will be waiting at the rainbow bridge, whole and never again in pain. Binky free my baby Indy.

:bunnyangel2:

Latest posts

Back