And the fur went flying...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Maybe I just need some consolation, or some sort of reassurance that I'm not a terrible rabbit owner...

We currently have three buns: Ellie (lives downstairs), Barry (he gets the living room) and Pippi (who gets the rest of the upstairs). None of them get along, and we have a double gate up between the living room and the rest of the house (we use two pieces from an xpen, and also have a screen from a window, and some cardboard, since the screen isn't wide enough). This setup has served us pretty well over the last 2.5 years... until today.

I know, rabbits are curious creatures, and, well.. Barry snuck through the side of the barrier, which apparently, he finally figured out he can sneak through. But what I feel stupidest about is that I didn't go hunting for Barry sooner. Usually, at bedtime, all I have to do is crinkle the treat bag and Barry comes sprinting to his house. He didn't come, so I thought he might be sleeping, so I looked in his usual hiding places and then his not-so-usual places. When I looked into the hallway, I saw bun fur scattered on the carpet. I saw Pippi sitting under her chair, kind of hunkered down, but otherwise, fairly relaxed. Like, she just let my husband pick her up and carry her.. but Barry sprinted under the couch. It took some time for us to catch him.

I took some time and looked over both buns to check for injuries, and they both seem to be fine. I'll definitely be watching both of them like a hawk over the next few days just to make sure they're OK.

I know, **** happens, and buns go to places they know they're not supposed to, but geez, I just feel like a terrible bun owner...

Rabbits somehow manage to find weaknesses in our attempts at bunny proofing. I think it's happened to most of us. It just makes you better at bunny proofing, as you start to see any possible way they can escape or cause trouble. I bet you never imagined you'd have to learn how to outwit a little rabbit :p

Thanks, JBun. ❤️ my husband and I were chatting about it this morning, and we'll be using a different gate for these two, since we definitely know they can't be around each other. You know, you would think that after spending two years in xpens beside each other that they would kind of have a tolerance for each other, but no. Not even a little bit! 😅

I love buns with all my heart, but geez, they can be such brats.

Latest posts

Back