Anal Scent Glands

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kricket

Reaction score
I finally had the pleasure of cleaning Shorty's scent glands.:X I do believe I might be scarred for life. Cannot get the smell out of my nose. Nor can I get the look on his face out of my mind...

Anyhoo...can anyone explain why he needed his glands cleaned and his sister's scent glandslook clean? (and much smaller as well). Is it a male thing?

Thanks!

Hugs! Krick

Kricket wrote:
I finally had the pleasure of cleaning Shorty's scent glands.:X I do believe I might be scarred for life...
LOL! Kricket, I can't help you there, sorry, but I have to say I love your post and we missed you!

:hug:

(Sorry, now maybe somebunny can chime in with some REAL information!)

SAS :) and PIPP :bunnydance:

I clean both of my bunnies sent glands. Trixie...my doe, always has dirty glandsand seems to have an oder. Trouble ...my male seems to have cleaner glands with no oder. I have only had these 2 bunnies and this has been my experience. :) Beckie

blech, I had to clean Cookie's the other day and MAN that is STINKY! For a second, I thought I had a pet skunk!

Cookie only started smelling after he was scenting like every 5 mins due to the new rabbit in the house.

:vomit:

I've never had to clean them, but I've definately smelled them. Loki sometimes lets the stink fly when he's doing his love dance around Mocha. I can't believe the girl bunnies like that!

:thanks:Y'all for your comments. For those of you that do this sort of cleaning, how often does it need to be done? I will check the bunny butts each day, but I am just wondering how often I will get the pleasure of tending to this special task :dunno:

some need more cleaning than others. just depends on the bun. some are always clean, others get a build up on a regular basis and some are in between. if ones who are prone to a bad build up got dirty enough it is possible they could get an infection.

Dogs also have anal glands but theirs are more hidden, some people never even know their dogs have them while other have the vet empty they every so often. just depends on the animal..

My crew i have a mixture.. and one who had to have her area repaired. those of you who have looked at a rabbit scent gland area know how it is a slit in the skin with the gland inside. she was missing the full slit, instead it was open at both ends and closed over in the center, and gland excretions would build up and cause the area to become red and inflamed. She under went surgery when she reached adult hood to repair the area by lazering it open, and it has worked well ever since. but while it was healing I had to apply ointment every few hours so it wouldn't heal back together.. fun fun fun...

next...

It's wierd, but my daughter thinks that them being spayed/neutered has something to do with it, too.

It seems like the buns that need scent glands cleaned are spayed/neutered. The ones that aren't have never needed them cleaned. Go figure.

It's probably just a coincedence, but........:?

We check scent glands when we clip nails.....maybe every 6-8 weeks or so. Or when the stink demands!!:thud

~Jim

My bunny is a girl and she used to smell quitebadly and have yellow fur around that area. We gave her a bath whichmade her smell nice for a little bit but didn't get rid of the yellow.

Since getting her spayed, she no longer smells and is white as can be.

Kricket wrote:

Yes, I hate that sent too. It smells like like rotten nacho cheeze. Ithink it's a male thing. Bun-Bun will often do that when I try to catchhim when it's time to go into the cage. When Cocoa first came here, heput out his sent alot. I think it's defentally a male thing cause Ibred Bun-Bun twice and the females never put it out while mating and ifthey didn't like it.

I finally had the pleasure of cleaning Shorty'sscent glands.:X I do believe I might be scarred forlife. Cannot get the smell out of my nose. Nor canI get the look on his face out of my mind...

Anyhoo...can anyone explain why he needed his glands cleaned and hissister's scent glandslook clean? (and much smaller aswell). Is it a male thing?

Thanks!

Hugs! Krick

2bunmom wrote:
Iclean both of my bunnies sent glands. Trixie...my doe, alwayshas dirty glandsand seems to have an oder. Trouble...my male seems to have cleaner glands with no oder. I haveonly had these 2 bunnies and this has been my experience.:) Beckie

So what do females scent glands look like? and what colour is the stuff that comes out?

Yes. Inquiring minds want to know. Where arethey and how can you tell they need to be cleaned? I have cleaned outmy dogs, and one of my cats anal glands in the past. Is this similar? Ihad to clean my bucks chin glands one, but they just involved pullingoff the matted fur and wiping his chin with a warm wet cloth.

This site will help you find them. It does have graphic pictures- you have been warned!

http://members.aol.com/roniebunny/ng.html

I haven't had to clean any scent glands yet. It's somethingyou do when you notice that the bun is smelling unusually musky.

You can wipe it with a cloth/cotton ball/qtip that has warm water and mineral oil on it.

Latest posts

Back