Anal Redness?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabbi3

Reaction score
Hey, guys! My Little guy's doing great as you can tell from this photo. He's a healthy weight, spry, and very curious about his environment; I did notice he has some redness around his anus however and I'm wondering if this is something I should be worried about? Looks like it might be a little bit of blood, He's still being fed formula but I've been giving him a little bit of Timothy hay and I'm guessing that may be the issue? Any help would be awesome!

Screen Shot 2013-09-05 at 10.33.26 PM.png

That is one young bunny. If you see a red, protruding anus, he probably has a prolapse and/or a serious case of diarrhea. Prolapse is always a medical emergency and diarrhea in a young bunny (especially one that young) is also always a medical emergency. It looks like that bunny may be wild? I would take him to an emergency vet ASAP in any case. If he is a wild animal and you cannot afford medical care, you may be able to find a wildlife rehabber who can help him.
http://www.wildliferehabber.org/

Just saw your other thread, so I know he's an orphaned wild bun now, sorry. I would still take him to the emergency vet or a rehabber. It is very difficult for young cottontails to survive in the first few weeks of life. They also undergo a transition of the GI system where it goes from digesting milk to digesting plant material, and that requires a huge change in GI pH and bacteria. This transition can go badly, especially in hand-raised kits (they get some of the correct GI bacteria from their mother), and often it goes badly by way of diarrhea. Even experienced wildlife rehabbers often lose babies due to this. I really think you need to get some professional help for this cute little guy.

Latest posts

Back