An Unexpected Guest

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Musta-Eyolf-Pedes

Reaction score
Until the last few days, I never really thought of rabbits as good pets. I've had friends who had rabbits for pets and they never really had an appeal to me; looked like more hassle than they were worth. Then a few days ago, this guy found his way into my life (literally):

muzDLLX.jpg

I'm not sure exactly how it showed up. I was in my bedroom with the younger of my two dogs eating dinner, and my older dog was in the hallway. The rabbit somehow made it past 2 people in the front room, up to 4 cats (all of which are active and aggressive hunters that regularly catch wild rabbits) and both dogs to hide under my bed; not even running, just kind of loping along at a calm pace.

The most obvious theory is that one of the cats brought it in and it got away, though its calm demeanor at the time and its current lack of fear toward the cats lead me to believe otherwise (as well as the fact that once I caught it I examined it for injuries and found nothing obvious).
cZwYCFC.jpg

It took me about 24 hours (and Brutus' help) to finally catch it and once I did I gave him food and water. Catching it wasn't all that difficult, once I was able to get to it. It didn't run and hasn't tried to bite me (at least, not aggressively. I've had a couple skin tags nipped off for not paying attention!) while handling. It does lick a bit excessively, which I thought was strange for a rabbit.

8JFiieM.jpg

(I didn't know at the time not to feed it carrots or iceberg lettuce and to give it hay. I was unprepared!)

Over the last couple of days I've made his little basket increasingly nice.It's only a temporary home until I can get something set up in my room and he easily climbs in and out whenever he wants unless I cover it with a blanket.

TPlDCLC.jpg

ahBXQBO.jpg
(I've also gotten it a small mineral block for rabbits)

It likes to be held and even purrs already
4MaIEnC.jpg

And it loves to sit under the window where it can see outside!
yptv6un.jpg

Whether it wandered into my home through the mesh screen or was brought in by one of the cats, it's here now and it's clearly not wild. I obviously don't want to let it back into the wild (in fact I was already in the process of live-trapping two large, clearly domestic rabbits I'd seen in the wild) and I would feel bad if I took it out of "freedom" only to give to my friends who raise rabbits to put in a cage for its whole life.

So here I am now. If anyone has any suggestions or advice for a first-time, impromptu rabbit owner, I'd be happy to hear you out (especially if they're tips on how to quickly litter box train, since that's one of the contingents of not giving it away). My aforementioned friend, Kim, said that it's a Harlequin rabbit which is also what this site's identification key brought me to, so I'm fairly confident that's the correct identification in which case I'll need a much larger basket. As for now though, it's demanding to be petted, so I shall end my tirade here and explore the site further.

Try to find the owners someone is probably missing it, put flyers up and maybe post it someone eg. Facebook, gumtree...

Aww, so adorable! It might be an escapee, so trying to find the owners is a good idea. It might be a released bun though so there may be no one to claim it. Most buns will litter train themselves pretty much, get a litter box with litter and put it where the bun likes to go. Make sure it is rabbit safe though, such as aspen shavings, no pine or clumping litter as they are dangerous for rabbits. There is a ton of info here and lots of people who will happily answer any specific questions you may have. Welcome to the forum!

Awwwww its so cute, and obviously still a baby. Glad that you found him/her and none of your pets injured him. Amazing that he was with that many other animals and none of them seemed to care. LOL

Follow the advice above and read about baby rabbit diet. By its size, it might not even be old enough for fresh greens as of yet, so pellets and hay only. Wishing you luck.

I posted a flyer at the local post office earlier today but I doubt that I'll get a response. The other domestic rabbits I've seen around lead to to believe that they were just released by someone.

Why can't we give it pine litter? That's what I was going to buy since clay litter (what my cats use) pose an obvious danger.

I have the same question about pine litter. I just bought a large pack of pine shaving and rabbits are listed on it.
Not sure where you live, but do you have an online resource where people post about selling/buying or just anything else? Craigslist? I think posting online is better at this days.
Can it be a baby of those domesticated rabbits that you saw?
Good luck!

Pine gives off harmful chemicals (that give it it's scent). Most companies will still try to sell it for rabbits, but they can get sick from it. Rabbits are pretty delicate creatures so it takes a little bit to get used to thinking about what may or may not harm them.

I haven't been able to determine its gender yet but I'll probably refer to it as a "he" until that's been determined just because I don't like saying "it" all the time.

He seems to be getting pretty comfortable here despite only being here for a few days.

CJe1IXk.jpg

Awww, I LOVE this story! How incredible for it to even happen, a baby bun just showing up in your home. I'm so happy he's settled in and is doing well. He's a cute little guy. Well done to you for taking him in :)

Litter training a young bunny can be a bit difficult. Some will naturally take to it, and some it can take some time. If he doesn't naturally take to it, you may need to start off limiting him to a smaller space until litter habits are established, then gradually increasing his area.

The pine litter issue is controversial. Some believe it's oils can be harmful, some don't believe it's an issue. If you want to play it safe use kiln dried pine, wood pellets, aspen, or paper product litter. For indoor rabbits, shavings can be a bit messy and aren't that absorbent. I've found wood pellets to work the best for absorption, doesn't get tracked out of the litter box as easily as shavings and other loose litters, and is very affordable, especially if you get the larger bags of pellets used for horse bedding.

http://www.sandiegorabbits.org/litter-box-training/litterbox-setup-success-0
http://www.therabbithouse.com/behaviour/problem-litter-training.asp

Indeed. He really took to me after getting used to the new environment. If he can hear me talking he'll look around and try to find me and if something scares him he runs straight to me.

Latest posts

Back