An opportunity presented itself...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ceilpaws

Reaction score
It's been a while since my last post. Unfortunately, this year has been hard on me thus far. But, it's also brought me my amazing boy, Emmet, and a new home - I am grateful for all of the good that has come out of a difficult time. Some may remember that I was MIA for a while due to illness. I am doing better, but this is a chronic, life-long illness and there will be many ups and downs. That being said, I have been well and am working again (although not in the veterinary field). Things are looking up and, well, an opportunity has presented itself.

I was approached by an acquaintance yesterday. I know her from the years I spent working as a vet assistant. So, she knows about my love of animals. Well, it seems that a coworker of hers was talking about how he was going to take his son's pet rabbit to the shelter this weekend because the 5 year old isn't taking proper care of her. I could go on and on about that statement alone, but I am choosing not to go there tonight. At any rate, my friend heard this and immediately began looking to find a home for the bunny so that she could avoid being taken to the shelter. Unfortunately, she has a dog with a very high prey drive and she doesn't feel it is appropriate to take the risk. But, she did think of me. And, now I'm considering adopting the little girl.

I don't know much about her, but this is what I have learned. She is 2 years old, a dwarf mix, and all black. I saw a small, grainy picture and she appears to have short ears - similar to a netherland dwarf. I have no idea how small or large she really is. I was told that she has a sweet disposition, but that she isn't used to time outside of her cage. While her owner isn't going to win any owner-of-the-year awards, she was not neglected (outside of her nails being really long - they were too afraid to clip them). She has been getting a decent pellet, unlimited hay, greens, and the occasional carrot. Thankfully, this is a situation where lack of responsibility and a bit of ignorance are at play versus outright cruelty and abuse. I'm thankful for that. However, she still needs a home where she can truly live the life of a house rabbit.

When I first got Emmet, he was the only pet in the home. I couldn't have other animals due to the rules of my rental. However, being sick brought me home to my family and I now live with 2 dogs and a cat as well. The dogs are fine with Emmet, but are always supervised. And, the cat loves the rabbit. He loves her as well. But, then again, they're both super laid-back animals. I have the space for a second cage (in a separate room, to start, so as to avoid any potential risk of illness to either Emmet or the other bunny). I also have the financial ability to care for two rabbits - including emergency treatment and routine veterinary care. And, I do have the time. If I am sick, my family will willingly step in to help. I'm not planning on that, of course, but it's good to have back-up plans in the event something did come up. It's just a matter of deciding now as to what to do. I'm leaning toward adopting her, but I haven't made a formal decision. I guess I am curious as to what others would do in this situation.

I didn't go out looking for another bunny. It has always been a thought in the back of my mind, but I didn't think it was possible for a long time. What would you do if an opportunity presented itself to you? If nothing else, this brought me back to this site. I love it here and regret not having been around as much. Hopefully, that will change regardless of what I decide to do. She is awful cute...and I do have the resources...aaahhh!

Tough one :D Obviously you're quite capable of providing the rabbit with all it's care and needs, so it's really a matter of whether you feel it's the right time or that she would be a good match in the home with your other animals.

Obviously people can't just take in any and every animal whenever one is at risk of going to a shelter, however with everything lining up, it would be hard for me to say no. I would say go for it.

We've done some rescues, whether it be from ignorance or neglect. For us we do not seek it out because we are not a rescue but if it presents to us and we have the means to give an animal a forever home living a better life than it has then we do it. I too have an illness for the rest of my life and taking care of pets can be a toll on the body. While giving them a quality life you may be impeding yours. That is probably what you need to consider most. Your post was very well thought out so I think ultimately you know if you want to give this animal a forever home. It is now just time to put your decision into action.

It sounds like you are prepared to have another rabbit, even if you aren't sure if you are ready for one. I would suggest you at least take her in and see how it goes. If it works out, then that is great. If it doesn't work, you can try to find her a good home and she won't be any worse off being in your care.

I really appreciate all of the feedback I received. I apologize for not getting back to this thread until now, but it has been a very long week.

I made the decision to take in the bunny in need. However, things didn't pan out. And, I'll be honest, I am disappointed for more than one reason. First off, I made the decision to adopt the rabbit because I do have the ability to provide a loving home. I am financially stable, have the space and time, and am emotionally available. And, I am thankful as the medical condition I have does hinder my ability to take care of my pets - during a flare I am ill, but I have familial support and, truth be told, my animals help me to feel well. But, I digress...after all, I did mention that things did not work out.

I spoke with the gentleman and it was decided that he would bring the bunny to my home on Wednesday evening. It was apparent that he was in a rush to move her out. It was me taking her or her being taken to the shelter. So, I told him that he could bring her over and that I'd ensure that I had a proper set up awaiting her arrival. We spoke Tuesday night and I checked in with him Wednesday around noon. Everything was a go. However, when I called him, as planned, when I got off from work, he did not answer. I left a message and then another. Still, no answer. He had my address so I waited at home all evening, my cell phone in hand. To make a long story short, he did not contact me that evening, but did send me a text message the following morning. He apologized and asked whether I'd be home that evening. I was leery of continuing on, but said that I would call him when I got home. When I called, no answer. I was frustrated and disappointed. And, I was concerned about the bunny. Later that evening, my friend contacted me to tell me that he had called her and said that he was planning on selling her instead of taking her to the shelter. The conversation left a bitter taste in my mouth. Shortly thereafter, I received another text and said that I could have her for $50.00. While I am certainly not opposed to paying an adoption fee, the situation, no call-no shows, and pushing and pulling felt wrong. I couldn't go through with it. I feel awful, but I couldn't continue playing games when a living creature was at stake. Thankfully, my friend told me this evening that the bunny had been adopted. But, I'm still feeling down.

This situation did change things, however. I now have a complete set up for a new bun. And, my heart is open to having another house rabbit. I love my Emmet so much and he brings me more joy than I could ever have imagined. It's time for me to bring another bunny into my life. Of course, I will attempt to bond the new rabbit to Emmet if it seems plausible, but I am prepared for that not to happen as well. I have already done some sleuthing and have found a couple of rabbits available for adoption in my area. Emails have been sent and we shall see what happens next. I am not in a rush to find my new bunny, but I would like to give a rabbit in need a loving home. I have some ideas as far as what I would like in a bunny, but adoption is the most important piece of the puzzle. I know that rescuing a bun is what is right for me. And, I feel that the rest will fall into place - what is meant to be will be meant to be.

Thank you to all of you who have read my post and commented. Things didn't work out the way I had hoped they would. But, everything happens for a reason. I know there's another bun out there who needs me. I just have to find him or her...

Latest posts

Back