Amy's cats, rabbits, etc!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kat....when I have time I can make the beds, but right now I am a bit busy and just haven't had the time/energy to sit down and sew anything up :p.

Myia....luckily it doesn't get as hot as Phoenix up here (or else I'd never leave the house) :biggrin:. We did think of the snow & rain, but I'm hoping it won't be a huge issue. I mean, it did snow quite a bit last year (not too much rain)...so hopefully its not bad this year. I have been looking on CL in my area and there is nothing all that great popping up. What type of scooter do you have?

Myself and 3 other awesome bunny loving people went to Petco today to sex baby bunnies for a local dog/cat rescue. They had them listed on Petfinder as males, but they didn't know the sex because apparently they are too young to have a gender yet? They are 7 weeks old, lol!!! Both bunnies turned out to be females!

The situation was bad, but good. Turns out the lady who's bunnies they were does trap, spay/neuter, release of cats for the rescue. Of all people...this lady should know how bad pet over population is...and yet she is BREEDING MIXED BREED RABBITS :X. These were 2 Lionhead/Rex (although they are honestly probably full Lionhead) mix babies that she PURPOSLEY produced and now she is using the rescue to rehome them!!!! So here the rescue is, spaying & neutering these 2 bunnies once old enough and a lady on their own "team" is purposely breeding them!!! COME ONNNNN :X:X:X:X!!!! So, hopefully we can talk with the director more to get this lady to stop because she's not helping our cause here.

Ugh...so luckily the rescue wants to have a "rescue" on the side that rescues bunnies....so us local rabbit people (there is 6 of us) are now going to be helping majorly to get them organized and well educated to help out the local homeless rabbits in our community. We can all sign up to be fosters if we'd like, too! This is something that a lot of us have been waiting for (a network, so to say)...so this is very good news. They even want us to be on television (broadcast all over AZ) when they do an adoptathon thing!! They are going to schedule a volunteer meeting next month so all the vonulteers can get educated on bunnies :biggrin:.

This rescue does background checks on potential adopters, as well as home visits...so we know that the bunnies will be going to good homes. Us bunny people even get to do the home checks because we will know what we are looking for! I suggested that they tell all potential owners to have the cage all set up and ready to go for when the home check is scheduled, so this way we KNOW the bunny is living inside of the house and that the new owner hasn't acted on impulse (which is kind of hard do to through this rescue).

Overall....I am VERY excited that this has come together. The local humane society has been of no help towards the bunnies, so we are very thankful for this rescue.

Oh...and they want me to write up a care sheet on rats because they want to start getting active in taking in small pets, too!!!

Amy I would love to be apart of the rescue :(
But I live so far away! Maybe I can be your phoenix person!?

And the scooter I has is some Scwinn (sp?) but we don't knwo the model..it is just some off brand scooter I guess :p

We do have some bunny friends down in PHX, so its possible for you to join up with them too if there is ever a bunny emergency or anything! I'm just glad UAF (the rescue) will now have a bunny program....we can now save more bunnies!!!

-------------

Well...I have a little miss piggie here :). She's a Peruvian/Abyssinian cross and is 3 years old. Her owner is a friend's little sister and she does 4H & rabbit hopping. She's moving down to Phoenix where it reaches over 100+ degrees and the pig would have to live outside. The pig does live outside up here, but its not as hot as it is down in the valley (I still don't agree with keeping pigs/rabbits outside unless its last resort anyway). Ehh...he is afraid the piggie will die due to the heat because of her long thick coat, so I told her I'd pig sit until her parents get a house purchsed and they get a shed in the backyard that has a/c....or if during the time before that she decides she just can't keep the pig (she will be too busy, etc), then I will continue to foster her until I can find a home for her.

I'm just a sucker for helping people when it comes to animals. I know from past experience that I am not a pig person, but I figure I can be for a little while while I am fostering/pig sitting. It was a few years ago that I had pigs and I was a totally different person back then anyway.

So.....she's SUPER friendly and will come right up to you when you open her cage door and give you kisses on your hands. I have never met such a friendly pig in my life...it makes it easier to like her because shes so friendly, LOL.

I have her set up in a Super Pet Giant (47"x24") as that is the best that I can do, which I don't think is breaking too much of the "GP cage rule"...she's a single pig and a SP Giant is just as big as a 2x3 NIC cage.

I did talk to her owner about switching her food because hers is crap from walmart with the colorful bits in it...and she said I could change it if I wanted to. Luckily the piggie is used to some veggies.

She had the pig in a cage like this one (wire bottom), but hers was about 24" long x 15" wide....
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3057123&lmdn=Small+Pet

with just a food dish, water bottle, and igloo (and a frozen water bottle)....so her new cage is all decked out with comfy towels, resting pads, her igloo flipped over & stuffed with fleece to make a cuddle cup, crinkle tunnel, toys, and a litter box stuffed with hay (something she rarely got before).

Pictures to come in a little while!

Awww the poor guinea pig, her poor feet. Thank God for you taking her in.
And way to go with the bunny rescue. That made me mad about the lady breeding and using the rescue. I can't believe it.

Keep up all the good work. You are doing an amazing job. :)

Yay for piggie foster! :biggrin:

I'm sure she is loving all the space in her new cage.
I can't wait for pictures. If she has a really long coat you could trim it shorter.

Thanks, guys!

Erika...she did have a long coat, but Bug (thats what we call her, LOL) cut it shorter. I suppose I will have to keep trimming it up every so often, right? I have been reading up on the cavy cages forum, but that forum is like all over the place....very hard to read for some reason??

I need to pick up some new pellets for her, but I am not sure what type to get & I don't want to order offline (like from Kleenmama's). I have Zupreem, Mazuri, Kaytee (would rather not), Oxbow all locally that I can get. Oxbow here is insanely expensive though....$14 for 5lbs!

I also need to get her a larger litter pan (& cut a "door way" out in it), as the one that I gave her (stole it from my rats) is pretty tiny (she's HUGE).

I'll go get her out now and take some pictures :).

Well, here she is (in her play pen) :)....

4681207196_9d3869521b.jpg

4680592921_b87448b3e6.jpg

4681228480_f6651b55d1.jpg

4681231504_161555721c.jpg

4681234606_c94d92bbbb.jpg

4681237192_25058f2283.jpg

4680606867_f8fd595d99.jpg

4680609697_2c62ec3e27.jpg

4680585695_214ebfc5bc.jpg

She's got an ear tag, which I am going to look into getting removed if I end up fostering her longer term. If removing it involves pain, then I won't have it done...but if its painless, then I might as well have it removed because it makes me nervous...what if she gets it caught on something?

4681210244_a8ce1bd79f.jpg

Loooooong fur (was longer, but she got a hair cut a few days ago)....

4681213452_ec40cc804a.jpg

She seemed a bit freaked out in the play pen I had set up for her, so I think I will let her settle in for a few days before I start messing with her :p.

"She" because I don't remember what her name is. I think its Suzie, buuut I don't know and if it is....I don't like that name :laughsmiley:.

What a sweety. :) So cute. Love how she's all white but the head. :p I was just gawking at pigs today in PetSmart... I want one for some odd reason. I was never much into pigs... Until I came to this forum... >

Aww cute little piggy! I've never really had the chance to play with one before... Good luck in finding her a home!

She is beautiful! :hearts

I would keep up on her hair trimmings just so she stays cooler and cleaner. I hate guinea pig ear tags and think it's great you are gonna look into having it removed. I'm not sure what's involved with that though. People swear by Kleenmama's on the piggie forums. I use Oxbow. I have heard good things about Zupreem too.

Thanks, guys! She is very cute and sweet :p.

Erika...I'm going to go to Petsmart and Petco tomorrow and check out the pellets. $14 for 5lbs of Oxbow is insane, so I am hoping I can get Zupreem for cheaper. I think Petco may have Zupreem too, but they are generally more expensive then PetSmart. I know I can get pig pellets in bulk from the feed store, but I think they are Kaytee Supreem (plain pellet, but not any good) and who knows how long that crap has been sitting in the bin. I need to feed something thats a decent price, as I'd hope Bug would keep the pig on it if she wants her back. Kleenmama's is going to cost around $20 for 10lbs...again I don't know that Bug's parents would pay that & have to order it offline - and I have learned that ordering pet food offline doesn't work for me, I need to be able to get it locally.

I'm going to ask around and see if I can locate a guinea pig breeder around here who knows about removing ear tags...there must be some sort of special tool out there for it.

Ugh....and I have been reading on the cavy cages forum and sheeeesh...those people :shock:. I don't dare post my SP Giant cage or post that I'm caring for a single female....I'm scared of what they will say, LOL. A SP Giant is 47"x24" where as a 2x3 NIC is 42"x28"...which compares greatly and I think mine is actually 1" bigger (if I did my math correctly). BUT ITS A PET STORE CAGE *gasp*!

undergunfire wrote:
Thanks, guys! She is very cute and sweet :p.

Erika...I'm going to go to Petsmart and Petco tomorrow and check out the pellets. $14 for 5lbs of Oxbow is insane, so I am hoping I can get Zupreem for cheaper. I think Petco may have Zupreem too, but they are generally more expensive then PetSmart. I know I can get pig pellets in bulk from the feed store, but I think they are Kaytee Supreem (plain pellet, but not any good) and who knows how long that crap has been sitting in the bin. I need to feed something thats a decent price, as I'd hope Bug would keep the pig on it if she wants her back. Kleenmama's is going to cost around $20 for 10lbs...again I don't know that Bug's parents would pay that & have to order it offline - and I have learned that ordering pet food offline doesn't work for me, I need to be able to get it locally.

I'm going to ask around and see if I can locate a guinea pig breeder around here who knows about removing ear tags...there must be some sort of special tool out there for it.

Ugh....and I have been reading on the cavy cages forum and sheeeesh...those people :shock:. I don't dare post my SP Giant cage or post that I'm caring for a single female....I'm scared of what they will say, LOL. A SP Giant is 47"x24" where as a 2x3 NIC is 42"x28"...which compares greatly and I think mine is actually 1" bigger (if I did my math correctly). BUT ITS A PET STORE CAGE *gasp*!
Omg I sympathize! Maybe not with pigs, but... With rats. My last rat was a single female, living most of her life in a fairly large, but not really suitable guinea pig style cage. It was either rescue her like that, or she'd have died from neglect. So I kept her. And posted ONCE on the most popular rat forum. I was ridiculed right off the site. :\ I wasn't even allowed to post without being yelled at for one thing or another. Now I'm terrified to go back to any rat forum. Even though my girls are being done right, I'm paranoid they'll find something wrong with them.. Like what I feed them, or that I use blahblah for litter, or that use blahblah that they could choke on or gawd knows what... So my girls are left to just being on RO. I won't join a rat forum ever again, I don't think... :\ I don't blame you for not wanting to post on cavy cages... I agree, we spoil our pets.. But.. Some people are SO uptight, it's not even worth trying to converse with them..

In my experience the guinea pig forums can be very... intense. I was frequent on a popular one but now I only go on occasionally and usually only read. The cage she is in now is wonderful and a great size for a long piggie. The cage she was in before, now that is a bad cage. I think Zupreem is your best bet for sure since it's easily available and decently priced, if I'm remembering correctly. That way if she goes back to her previous caregivers or to new ones they wont have any trouble.

You are such a wonderful person for taking in such a special cavy!

I had a cavy a while back that passed away of old age and had a ear tag the person who I adopted him from said that it is harder to get the tags off then it is too put them on there is more a risk to ripping there ear while removing it.My cavylived for 4 years with his tag on with no incident and with all the hair your cavy has she probally would never get it cought on anything. Good Luck with her and give her the love she deserves!

Aww cute piggie! :)
I have three boars and a sow at the moment :p
Good luck with her, hopefully her owner won't want her back and you can find her a new better home.

Ari....was it Goosemoose? If so, then that forum can be pretty rough - I only go on there to read threads now.

Erika....what pig forum is it that you like to go on?

Babbling_brook....thank you! And thanks for letting me know about the ear tag thing. I don't want to have it removed if it will hurt her.

Grace & Brenda...thanks! I'm glad she seems to be doing okay with me. Its not that my little friend/her former owner was a bad person (not saying you've called her that!)....she's just 14 years old, so her parents have the say. She's really responsible for being only 14, though. I'm not sure the pig would even be okay going back to her if it did have to live outside again, as she's currently inside in the air conditioning - I think bringing her in wasn't a temperature issue, but putting her back out will be.

Latest posts

Back