Amy's cats, rabbits, etc!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So today I have been really thinking about another dog, but I don't think we should get one until this fall - after we buy a new car, pay down/off my groom school (borrowed some money from my MIL), Marlin & Ruby bond (which hopefully will be within 2 months :p), and also see if I am ratless around this fall (my boys are 18 months now and their parents died at 18 & 20 months due to medical reasons).

I just can't decide if I want to start fostering for a local rescue in a few months - foster small dogs/small breed puppies only (non-high prey drive breeds/mixes), and find out next dog that way when I can't let go of a special foster......or if we want to purchase a show quality Pomeranian as a pet only from the lady at my shop who shows them (she isn't a breeder, but is active in showing Poms and wants to have a litter this fall - parents/pups are/will be tested & everything).

I am very pro-rescue and I know there are sooo many awesome dogs in this town looking for a home (and will be when we are ready) - I do have the part of me that feels like it would be wrong to purchase a Pom puppy ($700 or so & I'd be able to make payments). I guess part of me would feel like a "bad person" if people ask me where I got my Pom and I say "a breeder"....especially someone else who is very pro-rescue. I suppose I'd feel like a trator to homeless dogs...if that makes sense?

BUT....I really think I want a Pom (and so does my husband) and we really want a puppy, as we have never had one before. Its just a lot to think about mainly because I want our dog, Sammy (Doxie/Chi) to have a buddy for the rest of their lives and I am worried maybe a Pom isn't his "thing"....most dogs he goes for to be friends with are chubby dogs on short stubby legs (like him) and he never seems that interested in the lady at the shop's Poms when she brings them in. So, I also feel like its selfish to get a dog WE want instead of a dog SAM wants.

I'd adopt a Pom (if I can find one in a shelter/rescue in AZ, which there aren't many as I have been looking), but call it wrong if you think.....but I'm picky about Poms - I want it to look show quality and not oversized. I have met many Poms that were oversized and had terrible personalities, but since meeting the Pom lady's poms...I know that if I am going to get one, then its going to be like hers (they are to the Pom standard in looks, 3-5lbs, sweet/cuddly/calm/non-yappy personality).

Also, to add...I'd never purchase a dog from someone who didn't show - I personally feel that if you are a dog breeder, then you should be involved in showing because that, to me, shows me you are interested in bettering the breed of dog and not just to make cute show/pet quality dogs. I have seen a lot of dog breeders out there breeding two registered dogs that may be show quality, but they do not show themselves....that is a turn off to me. I am only considering purchasing a Pom from the lady at my shop because she is very active in showing her Poms (she has 4, but only shows her 1 male - her other male is retired & her females do not like to show)....and she rarely has a litter (she had a litter last winter but the pups died & her last breeding before that was 7 years ago).

What are your opinions? Are you fine with purchasing pets (not just dogs) from reputable breeders or are you rescue/adopt-only?

You know my feelings. I am all for going to a good breeder whatever the animal may be. Just because you go to a breeder means you close the door on a rescue dog down the line. Just stay open the right one will find you.

Thanks, Alicia :hug2:. I have come in contact with MANY dogs for adoption lately (I groom humane society dogs after all and see a ton with the local rescues every weekend)...and sure enough some of them have really made me fall "in love" with them, but none of them have been the "special one" yet (besides that Lahsa I groomed last month :().

I think I really just need to hold off on doing any fostering until the Pom litter is born & has survived (because Poms are just so delicate, you never know). I think I may be partially bummed if we adopted another dog and then I saw the Poms are really wanted one (not that we wouldn't love our other dog)....ya know?

I was actually looking for a dog... But under the circumstances of the way our home situation is sitting at the moment, I decided against it. I prefer Craig's List over shelter for several reasons... One is, you can still find intact males. NOT saying I want to breed. But... If you do find a perfect stud in a shelter, and since it's not intact... Well.. There goes that... = Also, because these animals are often coming from a worse condition. If you get a shelter dog, at least that one has a roof over it's head and food in it's bowl. Sometimes the CL rescues you find... Are disgusting. And I prefer personally to take the underfed/neglected and get to them before a shelter has to. Yet another plus to CL, is the lack of adoption fee insanity. Yes, some people ask for rehoming fees on CL. But $50 compared to $200? I'm not disagreeing with the reason the fees are that high. Just that I personally won't pay it unless I really feel the dog in the shelter is _that_ special.
My next step after that is shelters... But I did touch one a single breeder. I don't mind buying from that particular breeder (Burnese Mountain Dogs) just because my mother used to hang out with that family when she was a kid. So they know what they're doing to be in business for... 50+ years. But, breeders really aren't for me, despite that. If I can, I prefer CL. Local, cheap, and some of the sweetest faces you can find. :) It's where all my buns and my two rats are from. And it feels good to help someone out by giving the animal a good home. ^^ Puppies can be a challenge to find, but if you're patient and stalk the site enough, you'll get the right one. :) As Alicia said, the right one will come to you.

I really really think you should wait and rescue. There is nothing wrong with buying from reputable breeders, but I really think you will be a lot happier when you find that perfect Pom in a shelter.

You are getting really excited and drawn in by the cuteness and great personalities of this womans dogs. Just wait, plus you shouldn't go rushing into something when you have things to pay off.
Be patient!! You will be rewarded if you wait.

Wait for the shelter or wait for the breeder either way just wait :)

:wink

I got my dog from a show breeder, so that right there probably tells you where I stand.

I'm all for rescue, but I see nothing wrong with getting pets from responsible breeders. We really wanted a specific dog - we knew what breed we wanted, and like you, we wanted a puppy. Papillons are pretty rare in shelters around here as it is, we found a few older papillon mixes, but we just where never able to find "the one" in the shelter.

With Kit - he was perfect. I first saw him when the breeder sent me pictures of him - and I felt drawn to him then. I tried to tell myself no, to keep looking in shelters, but I couldn't stop thinking about him. My fiance took me to go meet him and that was it - we where in love.

I think that the right animals do have a way of finding you sometimes. They work their way into your heart so there's just no way you could let them go.

Maybe you could wait until the breeder has her pups, and if they survive you can see if you have a connection to any of them? If not, then you can start looking in the shelters?

I'm not rushing into getting a Pom at all (or another dog, for that matter) :p. I know I have some things to pay off, which is why we are waiting - everything should be payed off (besides credit cards, those will be slow going as that aren't as important), so thats why in the fall is when we are planning to get another dog :).

I just don't want a shelter/rescue Pom - they aren't like show quality Poms at all (in looks or personality). Plus, I don't think I'd ever get a purebred dog from a shelter because they can come with many health issues because you don't know their history (Poms especially). I'd pick a mix dog from a rescue/shelter before I'd get a purebred - of course, I don't think I could say "no" to a Doxie if I found one I liked (just because I really love them), but I have actually said "no" to many rescue Doxies over the last 2 years that I have been wanting another dog ;).

I also will not get a Pom from a local advertisement site for the same reason as a rescue/shelter...who knows their breeding history, they could have many health issues popping up as they age. I know any dog can, but its more common in purebred dogs - I feel safer getting a dog from a person who knows her dogs & their lines.

I had the chance to get a little Pom girl last month...a lady came into the shop who needing to rehome her (or her family's?) Pom. She was a gorgeous chocolate & tan, I think 1.5 years old, already spayed & all shots for a $300 adoption fee (I'd pay that from a rescue anyway). Well, Ryan didn't want her even though I really did (he wants a Pom puppy). I thought about it a lot more anyway and decided maybe it was for the best since I didn't know her breeding history & we weren't ready for another dog.

So, if I don't get a Pom from the lady at my shop then I doubt I will get a Pom at all. I wouldn't go to another breeder because it wouldn't feel right to me (spending that kind of money & the fact I don't know them) - I am just considering a Pom from MaryAnne because I have fallen in love with her Poms and I know her & her Poms personally....so I know how she feels about her (4) Poms, her dogs live inside as pets & not outside in kennels, she doesn't have 10+ breeding dogs, and she shows (a lot of breeders do not show their dogs which I think is a huge fault!).

I've been considering getting into showing/handling with MaryAnne's help (we even have a local kennel club here), so thats another reason why I'd like a Pom. A Pom is also walking advertisement for me....they draw a lot of attention from dog people which will allow me to "connect" & hopefully get more grooming clients.

Dragonrain wrote:
Maybe you could wait until the breeder has her pups, and if they survive you can see if you have a connection to any of them? If not, then you can start looking in the shelters?
THIS. Thats exactly what Ryan and I are going to do :) - sometimes you just get suckered into the "cute puppyness", but there will be a feeling there telling you that its not right, if its not right. We can see the pups as they grow and will have 12 weeks to think about it (if they survive)!

Also....I have been looking on Petfinder and am only finding older Poms, younger oversized Poms, adult Poms that aren't good with cats &/or other dogs, etc. At this time, there isn't one I'd like to have....either way, like I mentioned in the post above, just don't think I'd get a purebred dog from a rescue/shelter & I'm looking into showing/handling.

Sorry, I'm a little obsessed with Petfinder, so here....
AZ91.16460492-1-x.jpg

And here....
AZ114.16380203-2-x.jpg

:big wink:

Thanks, but those are Pom mixes and they won't be able to be showed if I wanted to get into it :p. Plus, we aren't ready for another dog right now.

-------------

Well...Miss Ruby went to the vet today and is now on meds for a URI :(. The visit fees were supposed to be used on her spay, so now I will need to wait a few more weeks until she is hopefully all better and until I have the money saved up again. Luckily I graduate/start working grooming full time on Tuesday :).

A few of us bunny people in the area got work of a rabbit at the humane society that will be PTS tomorrow if no one can take her - apparently she has urine scald and she isn't as important as dogs/cats :(. I offered to take her in at least temporarily (told them all that I coulnd't afford to treat her though...so they will need to pay for it), until one of the other bun people in town can figure something out for her....I figure if she's will be for a week it saves her from death & buys the others time to figure out where she is going next.

i dont think there is anything wrong by getting a dog from a breeder. i have two shar-peis that we flew them out here .. they also need loving homes !! and goodluck with ruby

undergunfire wrote:
Thanks, but those are Pom mixes and they won't be able to be showed if I wanted to get into it :p. Plus, we aren't ready for another dog right now.

-------------

Well...Miss Ruby went to the vet today and is now on meds for a URI :(. The visit fees were supposed to be used on her spay, so now I will need to wait a few more weeks until she is hopefully all better and until I have the money saved up again. Luckily I graduate/start working grooming full time on Tuesday :).

A few of us bunny people in the area got work of a rabbit at the humane society that will be PTS tomorrow if no one can take her - apparently she has urine scald and she isn't as important as dogs/cats :(. I offered to take her in at least temporarily (told them all that I coulnd't afford to treat her though...so they will need to pay for it), until one of the other bun people in town can figure something out for her....I figure if she's will be for a week it saves her from death & buys the others time to figure out where she is going next.
Ah, my bad. I must have missed that you wanted to show. There's a forum that could help you if you ever need info on showing and whatnot. Everyone there is super helpful. :)

I can't believe you just poisoned my blog with that goolie picture :shock:...thats one of the worst goolie shots I have ever seen.

But yet...I am laughing hysterically :laughsmiley:.

Yesterday I posted in here about a Humane Society bun that was to be PTS today due to urine scald if none of us local bunny people could pull her out...well, none of us could but the bunny got lucky because a shelter staff member pulled her out. Aparently the HS wants not thing to do with rabbits, ferrets, rats, piggies, and other rodents...they only want to "deal with" cats & dogs. This has always been obvious, but it seems that since the HS has taken over the local pound...they have become even more heartless and are now euthanising anything with minor health issues & will probably euthansising rabbits & other rodents more frequently. I'm nervous and so are local bunny people (there aren't many of us....maybe 6) :(.

Ugh...and I can already tell this weekend is going to be insanely boring. It's only been about 3 hours since I have been home from the shop and I was bored an hour into being home :p. Ryan is passed out in the bedroom (I can hear him "sleepy breathing") and I am about to head out to Big Lots to pick up a little carpet for Miss Ruby. Hrm...long boring 3 days a head of me (Monday off due to Memorial Day). I start working at the shop starting on Tuesday and I am insanely nervous!

Our SPCA doesn't really 'deal with' small animals, either. There seems to be a no-name place around here, though, that does. A specific small animal rescue. But I don't think they get to any of the ones the SPCA would normally put to sleep... And no one really knows about them except for petfinder. -_- So no one really adopts from them, either, I don't think... Thankfully, I know every ferret in the next 3 counties is safe. Because the ferret rescue I know is very prolific about pulling out ferrets to keep them safe and happy.
Ah- found the name... They're about half an hour away from me.
My Hope's In You Small Animal Rescue

We may actually be calling them after we move. >.> Since they rescue mice, which we're looking for. :D

And if it's boring, make it not-so-boring. :p When I get bored, I let out my buns, or do something with them- a photoshoot, or make something for my rats to play with (since my buns don't really... play). ;) Or go pick flowers as a treat for the buns or something. I make my boring moments about my animals. :D Works for me.

Well, the rat rescue lady should be here fairly soon to pick up the 2 rattie boys that I rescued from the local humane society. I'm a bit upset, as I really like these boys....but I can't keep rats anymore - after my 4 boys pass on, I will be taking a VERY long break!

Latest posts

Back