Amy's cats, rabbits, etc!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you settle on a name for him? Is he going to stay Damon? Because I just thought of a good name for him last night (after I'd logged off, of course :p):

Ronin

By definition, Ronin is a Japanese word for a wandering Samurai....or a masterless Warrior. Not a master warrior mind you, but one that has no master. He may be a renegade of sorts, one who has lost the protection of his clan or society because of some indiscretion or another. His Family may not exist anymore...and that is why he has lost his honor and decided to wander. He is a man unto himself, with no master, and himself to answer to, for his actions. A renegade is a good description for him.

I thought the description pretty well described Sherriff/Damon.

Hoping the neuter goes well!

Rue

Amy I am in love with your animals! They are so cute and so well cared for!

Good Luck with the Neuter!

Damon was coming out of surgery at 10:30 this morning, got the call at 11:00am saying he did really well and was able to come get him at 1pm....but I wasn't able to get there until 4pm (knew the vets would take good care of him!).

So...he's all neutered and already came home and started eating veggies right away! Right now he is snoozing on his comfy towels that I piled into the cage :p.

Just because the whole "money thing" was an issue, here is proof of neuter (payed with my PayPal debit card) ;).....

4506718386_0dfbd0b6f3.jpg

Well glad your boy is eating jessi is sleeping. In her litter box she must not want to get up to pee later LOL.

I hope everything turns out ok.

Kat

How neat - one of my boys is 14 weeks and he's over 7 1/2 pounds already...so that helps me picture how big he is. Somehow - I thought he was bigger than that...

Glad to hear everything went well! I hope he has a speedy recovery.

I wish neuters around here where that cheap!

Peg....I thought he was smaller then 8lbs. We were standing in the vet office and we were all taking bets on how big he was....Ryan and a receptionist guessed 8lbs and I said "NO WAY! He's more like 6-7lbs!"....Uhm....boy was I wrong. Darn, I hate when Ryan is right :laughsmiley:.

Chelle....Thank you :D! I think he's going to be just fine. I like how much more mellow he seems already haha, but he could also still be in some pain. I need to give him some metacam this afternoon, just in case he's feeling a bit uncomfy. My vet told me to check his surgery area to make sure it looks good, but I don't think thats possible because I have no idea how to wrestle over a 8lbs rabbit who is willing to bite in his defence. My vet leaves the neuter areas on males as open insisions (doesn't sew them or glue them closed).....they do this on rats, pigs, rabbits, and male cats. I was freaked out when they did that to my rats because they were bleeding and I saw the open area and thought they chewed their stitches out....so I drove the 35 minutes back to the vet (who had to be late to a house call appt. to see me), just so he could tell me "thats normal since we don't use stitches or glue" hahahahaha! Everything went well though. I thought the rats would get an infection from food crumbs and pee getting in there, but they were fine so I imagine the bun will be fine too!

------------

So I think this weekend (probably today) I'm going to have to go get a cheap sheet of plywood and stick some stick on tiles (already have those here) on it, so that I can make Molly's cage a 4x2 NIC instead of 3x2. Her litter box is HUGE (she pottys a lot and needs one with high sides) and she barely has any space in her cage (even though she gets her run time). I noticed it before, but just thought she would be okay with a smaller cage for a while because I was hoping she'd bond to one of the boys....but since I am lazy and haven't been actively bonding, I need to get her cage bigger since this whole bonding this isn't going to be easy at all (she made Marlin scream last time).

It just stinks because now thats going to take up even more space in the bunny room since I have my loveseat and rats in there....but I might have to just take the loveseat out because its taking up play time space. I need to find a small comfy chair that I can put in there to sit in when I read and am on my laptop. I also need to look into selling the Critter Nation and getting my rats a smaller cage (or less bulky, I should say)....all my rats do now a days is eat, sleep, and potty....so the CN is just overkill. I'd like a SP Exotic cage (again)....

pPETS-3766121t400.jpg

Here was the one I had all set up in 2007.....

l_4479b80340b16763e7266e964719751e.jpg

----------------

On a side note, I was walking into the kitchen to grab more coffee just a bit ago and I noticed Molly was trying to hide herself from the world :laughsmiley:.....

4507931533_e7503e6d93.jpg

4507931561_5fa89c1dd6.jpg

Oh my gosh, Amy!! Dex is SO cute!!

I'm just curious, is a 10 gal tank all they need or eventually will they need a larger tank?
I have a 10 gal, and looking at Dex is making me want to get a mouse! haha, of course I'd have to do lots of convincing my mom and research, so it probably wouldn't be for several, several months. Of course, I'd have to save up enough money for all the supplies, too.
Are all mice generally friendly? I would want to get a pretty friendly guy.

Dex is really super cute, though!!

Emily

Paul....I think everything happens for a reason (whatever that may be at this point) :p.

Emily....a 10gal. tank is just right for a male mouse, some people even keep them in 5.5gal, but I think that is way too small. I am thinking about upgrading Dex to a 20gal long this fall (when I have the money), just so he can have more space for popsicle stick play things :). I really love Dex and he has been super friendly from day 1...I guess that is kind of rare for a pet store mouse but he was a little baby, so he wasn't "set in his ways" yet, I guess. There aren't many options from getting mice from reputable breeders...so its either a pet store, rescue/shelter (if they even have any), rehome from someone (also rare), or a "feeder breeder".

BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
Oh my gosh, Amy!! Dex is SO cute!!

I'm just curious, is a 10 gal tank all they need or eventually will they need a larger tank?
I have a 10 gal, and looking at Dex is making me want to get a mouse! haha, of course I'd have to do lots of convincing my mom and research, so it probably wouldn't be for several, several months. Of course, I'd have to save up enough money for all the supplies, too.
Are all mice generally friendly? I would want to get a pretty friendly guy.

Dex is really super cute, though!!

Emily

Emily I am the exact same!
I saw Dexter and it made me really interested in getting a mouse, I did some research and I'm hoping to get one soon, just have to get the pet store to order me one :biggrin2:

Amy, it's all your fault! :p

I am so glad Sheriff came through surgery good. I can't believe how cheap the neuter was. Here it is like $110 just to walk in the door for anything. My vet checkups run $200-$400 a visit and that doesn't include any procedures!

I love the picture of Molly hiding!

paul2641 wrote:
Ahh Sheriff looks really happy, I just wish he was still with Myia and things worked out with Sheriff and her.
Paul - some people can't handle aggressive bunnies real well - and that same bunny will often turn out to be not as aggressive when placed in a new situation. So sometimes a move is the best thing for the rabbit.

I'm just glad that Damon has his neuter and made it through fine and now Amy doesn't have to be embarrassed by "boy bits".

May I ask what was the spur to change his name from Sheriff, I actually find that to me a quite handsome and fitting name for him? Or do you always change the names of your rescues?

I have to say, Sheriff rolls of the tongue a little nicer than Damon, and I think I do prefer it, but Damon does seem to be growing on me a little.....:p

I just could never imagine naming a pet after something evil....lol

Latest posts

Back