Amy's cats, rabbits, etc!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So tomorrow/this weekend I am pretty sure I'm going to redo bunny cages & the rat cage. I have wanted to see for while now what I could do with the bunny room to allow more cage space and also free up space at the same time.

It just stinks because I spend $140 on the two Super Pet Giant cages. I do love them, but I think its just not working out for both of my bunnies anymore. Brody is bored & continuously digs at a corner even though he has a ton of toys....I think the cage is too "cagey" to him. Marlin has become pretty cage aggressive and won't even let me touch him without honking and threatening to bite. I think the issue is that the cages aren't on the floor, so I have to pick them up to take them out/put them in and they don't like it. So....its just not working for us.

I also want to free up space....and having a big huge 100lbs rat cage isn't helping that. I did a trade with a girl who lives 2 hours or so from me....I traded my compact Martin's 695 for a double Critter Nation. My 4 rats are only housed in the top part of the CN (they don't need/won't use the whole thing)...so the other space isn't being used. Basically the cage is super bulky and takes up a whole corner of the room....its just overkill.

SOOOOOO..... I'm brilliant and decided to do this ;)....

I'm going to make a 4 long X 2 wide X 3 tall cube (NIC) cage. I'll split it in half so that each section is 21" tall. 1"x2" lumber will be used as supports across the tops of each section and down the far sides. I'll use plywood & vinyl tiles as the flooring.

I'm going to sell my double Critter Nation cage and just use Brody's Super Pet Giant for the rat's cage. The SP Giant can hold 7 rats, so my 4 boys won't mind the cage at all. I will probably keep Marlin's cage as a foster bunny cage (you never know!).

Now, I am going to start working more seriously on bonding Morgan & Molly...so hopefully they will bond so that Molly's 2x3 NIC cage can go away and she can free range with Morgs.

I plan to do the cages this weekend. I'm really hoping it works out because that would be a lot of work/money to turn around and feel like its taking up more space then I thought it would. I had all NIC cages in the first place, but thought the SP Giants would free up more space, which they did, but like I said...my rabbits just aren't comfortable with them anymore.

Here is a little drawing I drew up.....

4350849248_9b5cee8598_o.jpg

Hehe I like your drawings.
I may be interested in your CN--but we would have to figure out if we could meet halfway.
NIC are the best IMO..are you going to use chorloplast as the flooring? I am buying some, I heard it works great.
I am using fleece right now, but the pee soaks through it.
I hope Marlin's issues clear up with the NIC cage.

Myia09 wrote:
Hehe I like your drawings.
I may be interested in your CN--but we would have to figure out if we could meet halfway.
NIC are the best IMO..are you going to use chorloplast as the flooring? I am buying some, I heard it works great.
I am using fleece right now, but the pee soaks through it.
I hope Marlin's issues clear up with the NIC cage.
I'm quite the drawer, LOL!

I can't meet half way, unfortunately. Our car is a crap '94 Ford Explorer and doesn't handle the mountains too well. I'm hopefully buying a new/used car by the end of the summer, though....but I would like to sell the CN before then. It's going to have to sit in my living room until it sells, haha.

Yeah, I do like NIC cages. They are the only cages I have ever used for bunnies until I bought the SP Giants. I do hope Marlin's issues go away, too. He never had them before in the NIC cages.
Coroplast is being used under Molly's cage right now. I figure it is going to cost me the same to get pegboard & vinyl tiles as it would to go get some coroplast, though.

Here is the start of the new cube cage....

4354862061_2e3ab89a9e.jpg

We are going to the Home Depot tomorrow to get the 1"x2" boards, plywood, and vinyl stick on tiles....then Marlin and Brody can move on in :D! I have decided to put Brody on the bottom and Marlin will go on the top. I'll find some way to make a ramp, so that Marlin can come out/in on his own when its his playtime.

I'm off to the Home Depot in just a bit to get the rest of the supplies to finish the cube cage!! I then have a loooooong day ahead of me getting the animals switched around.

Cube cages are finished :biggrin2:....

4357919166_5d71fd2af1.jpg

4357172949_f106bf227f.jpg

They seem to be loving the new pad! Now I just need to get the rats all moved into Marlin's old SP Giant cage and then that will go on top of the new cube cage. Ryan and I are going out for Mexican food tonight (yay for a coupon for 2 entrees, salad, and 2 fountain drinks for $20...haha...I looove coupons!!).....then I will be switching the ratties over.

So I found a registered mouse breeder in San Diego country California!! Ryan and I are planning on going over for Bunny Fest this year (end of Sept/early Oct), and we are going to make it worth the trip and bring home a single male mouse. I have been wanting one, but Ryan said I need to wait until my ratties pass on. Well, they are 15 months old March 11th and their parents only lived to be around 18 months old - as sad as it is, I don't have much hope for them living until this fall. If they do, which I'd be so very happy!!, then we will still bring home our mouse because we are already going to CA anyway and don't want to make a special trip back the mousey.

The best part?!? Myia and James might just go with us :biggrin2:! There is a couple months before then and I will need to buy a new car & save some money for the trip...but for now it is definitely a "go'!

Oh Yipee, Mouses are actaully really cute, I'm thinking of getting one when my hamster passes, Since Roboski hamsters are so hard to sex I don't want to risk getting a male and female pair! We'll wait and see lol! My hamster is too lazy to even use his wheel now lol!

Yeah, I really like mice! I thought about a gerbil, but they I can't sew them cute little beds. I never thought about a hamster because I'm afraid to get bit by them!

undergunfire wrote:
Yeah, I really like mice! I thought about a gerbil, but they I can't sew them cute little beds. I never thought about a hamster because I'm afraid to get bit by them!
You're afraid of getting bitten by a hamster and you have RATS :shock:?

Generally the syrian hamsters aren't much of a bitter they'd be a nice place to start, And the teddybear Syrians are so cute, they can be fluffy like an Angora, Just find yourself a family who bred there hamsters they generally have hamsters with the best temperament as they handle them often!

Amy how do you like that viynal? Can you please tell me more about the pegboard thing? How much was it?

And there is no might! I am FOR SURE going lol! James on the other hand is a maybe. If you don't get your car, I am sure I can convince James to take his mom's van (She wouldn't mind at all). I am sure we could do it.
I can't wait to get your mouse!

Dwarf hamsters can be mean, but Syrians are THE BEST small mammals ever. Rarely bight, are super tame, and unlike dwarfs, they always remain tame.

Paul *** very rarely will you ever meet a rat that bites :). I have only been bit ONCE by a rat in the past almost 3.5 years of owning them - and that was simply because I trusted a known biter (formally abused).

Myia *** awesome!! I'm 80% sure I will have a newer car by this fall, especially if the grooming shop I am schooling with hires me (which I think she is!).
I explain about the cages & their prices on the picture that you commented on FaceBook ;).

I have had 3 Syrian hamsters in my life and I had been bit countless times. Hamsters just now have this evil look to me, LOL. Sometimes I see ones that look cute, but that is as far as it goes. I'd just never own one again because I'd be scared to handle it. Maybe responsibly bred hamsters from a registered breeder (if there is such a thing) are friendlier? I'd never get one from the pet store.

Back on the mouse talk......the breeder said she'd have Chocolate Merle mice ready for me this fall :weee:!!!

I suppose since the rats in petmania never get out for socialization that is the reason they look ready to eat fingers the minute you look at them lol!

paul2641 wrote:
I suppose since the rats in petmania never get out for socialization that is the reason they look ready to eat fingers the minute you look at them lol!

I've taken in unsocialized rats and have still never been bitten :p. I think ALL rats just look "ready to bite" to those who haven't had to pleasure to be close to such lovely little things.

So Amy I am so sorry for not doing the picture thing. I have been so busy with work, and all the crap that goes with it. The weather here has been better, and my back might just work with me, and I will try again tonite. Lilli has got the routine of the rabbit room down. In fact when she finishes her hay she even puts her hay rack away for us. LMAO. She is a doll, and we just love her to death. She has learned how to give bunny kisses, and just can't give them enough. Thank you so much for bringing this precious angel into our lives. Yea Lilli.:highfive:

I love rats!

I wanted two before I got my guinea pigs, but my parents said no, I was surprised my Dad said no because he doesn't usually mind pet rodents like guinea pigs and hamsters, but I think when he thinks about pet rats he thinks dirt and disease. So looks like I'll be waiting till after college before I experience rats (3+ years) :(.

BunnyLovers wrote:
So Amy I am so sorry for not doing the picture thing. I have been so busy with work, and all the crap that goes with it. The weather here has been better, and my back might just work with me, and I will try again tonite. Lilli has got the routine of the rabbit room down. In fact when she finishes her hay she even puts her hay rack away for us. LMAO. She is a doll, and we just love her to death. She has learned how to give bunny kisses, and just can't give them enough. Thank you so much for bringing this precious angel into our lives. Yea Lilli.:highfive:

Its okay, Nancy...I'm being quite patient, LOL!! I still miss Lilli a lot, but that will fade with time. I will certainly never forget her...she was just the best!!

I'm so glad she has fit right into your home. Who knows what would have happened to her had you not agreed to adopt her.

:hug:

Latest posts

Back