Amoxicillin Safety?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TweedBunny

Reaction score
Is this true or not? I'm new to 'bunny health' as my rabbits haven't ever been sick or been to a vet (theres not a rabbit vet anywhere close to me). Thanks!

Never let a vet give your rabbit amoxicillin (an antibiotic thatis pink in color and smells like bubble gum). Amoxicillin and other forms of penicillin kill the "good" bacteria in the rabbit's intestines and can cause other organs to malfunction. There are other antibiotics that can safely be given to rabbits such as Albon, Bactrin, and Baytril.. Occasionally a rabbit cannot tolerate an antibiotic (signs are a loss of appetite, diarrhea, and others) and another may have to be tried instead. If your vet says that just this once will be okay or that they have no other antibiotic to dispense --find another vet!

Yes, that's very much true. We actually had a new member here a year ago who's vet gave her rabbit amoxycillan after a surgery, and the bun died a few days later after complications from it. It was heartbreaking.:(

It should be clarified that Penicillin is commonly used in injectable form, but should not be given orally.

Pam

Thanks - I'll record this stuff in my 'bunny book' for later use. It's always good to be educated on the DON'TS before taking bunny to the vet.

Yeah rabbits are deathly allergic to amoxicillian to put it lightly. One thing my bunnies and I have in common. I can have penicilian but not amoxycillian, same with them,granted there are other antibiotics that are easier on a rabbit then penicillian I think. Don't know cause haven't had to use any cept once for a rescue. Used terrimycin for it.

Latest posts

Back