Amount of Rabbit Food

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My Bunny Drake

Reaction score
Hi!
I bought my eleven month old, around 3 pound bunny, mini Rex, a little more than month ago. I was told to give him 1/4 cup of small world pellets per day so I give him them in the morning. He’s been moving his food bowl around, licking it, looking for traces of pellets everywhere. Am I feeding him enough? Or does he just love his pellets? Yes he does have unlimited access to hay.

Hi!
I bought my eleven month old, around 3 pound bunny, mini Rex, a little more than month ago. I was told to give him 1/4 cup of small world pellets per day so I give him them in the morning. He’s been moving his food bowl around, licking it, looking for traces of pellets everywhere. Am I feeding him enough? Or does he just love his pellets? Yes he does have unlimited access to hay.
Maybe you can just remove the bowl from his cage when he's done, I think you give him enough he just likes them too much.

Today his food bowl was wet. I doubt he drools considering that was the only wet place. He either licked it, or he took a sip of water then spilled it on his food bowl. Good idea though.

When I adopted Fred after first few days when he wasn't eating at all I gave him two portions of pellets, one in the morning and one in evening. Sometimes in the morning his bowl was full of urine I don't know how he managed to do it so precisely but I think he just wanted to let me know that he's not happy with his empty bowl. It was only for a few weeks now he eats less, usually one bowl for 24 hours and he never pees into it again, I was smart though and tied his bowl to the bars so it would be a bit too difficult to pee into it or move it around, but when he's really hungry which is rare now he is biting the bowl and shaking it making noise to let me know it's time to feed him.

Is it a good idea to give him 2/8ths of a cup in the morning, and 2/8ths in the evening?

Is it a good idea to give him 2/8ths of a cup in the morning, and 2/8ths in the evening?
Sure why not I'd try that. Sometimes if he eats too fast there are more tricks you can sprinkle pellets over his hay so he will need more time to find them and feel full quicker. For dogs I know there are special bowls for greedy eaters not sure if it'd work for rabbits, I am thinking of trying it with one of my rabbits Smokey she eats too much I worry about her. Slow feeder is the name.
71UPGb0SOPL._SX425_.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Hmmm.... are there measuring cups with 2/8 though? I’ve known those to be just fourths.

Some of ours would gobble their pellets and not eat hay--we gave them a small amount in the morning and again in the evening. Others would only eat a small amount--we could give them a 3 or 4 day supply and it would last that long. They also all got unlimited hay and veggies twice a day. With some of our buns, they would have gotten fat, to the extreme. Just have to adjust for each rabbit and only put in the bowl when feeding.

Considering that he's almost a year old, 1/4 cup seems like a lot. I feed my 4 pound male 1/8 cup a day, and my 7 pound female 1/4 cup a day. This way they can get a bit more veggies and they eat more hay.

My male absolutely loves his pellets. He scarfs them down in probably 5 minutes and then goes to eat hay. Most rabbits love their pellets.

Today his food bowl was wet. I doubt he drools considering that was the only wet place. He either licked it, or he took a sip of water then spilled it on his food bowl. Good idea though.

My two always have a bit of drool in their bowls. I believe it's normal, especially if they like their pellets. It is a pain to get pellet drool mix out of the bowls though ;)

I feed my rabbits 1/3 cup to 1/2 cup of pellets per day and they're just a bit bigger than mini rex. If I have food bowls on the ground, my rabbits (the lovable brats) will seem to always find a way to pee in them, so you might want to consider that option too lol (mine are now all attached to the side of the cage, and raised up a bit)

Hmmm.... are there measuring cups with 2/8 though? I’ve known those to be just fourths.
Half of 1/4 cup is 1/8 cup. (2/8 is the same as 1/4)

1/4 cup is 4 tablespoons. So half of that would be 2 tablespoons.

If you want to keep feeding him 1/4 cup per day (which is fine if he is not fat and is eating lots of hay) but you want to split it between a morning and evening feeding, then offer 2 tablespoons in the morning and 2 tablespoons in the evening. Two tbsp plus two tbsp equals 1/4 cup.

Latest posts

Back