Amber's not feeling well

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnydude

Reaction score
Like so many times before, Amber has stopped eating. I'm not too panicked because this follows her usual pattern. She does this whenever something in her routine changes. Since summer break just started, she is getting fed a little later (during the school year, she got fed at 6:00 am), and her excercise schedule has changed. Right now we're giving her some pellet paste and water - that's always done the trick before. The only problem is that since it's Sunday, our regular vet is closed. Worse comes to worse we could take her to the emergency vet to get some sub-q fluids, that's exactly what our normal vet always does.

Please send her some good thoughts:)

I have a little good news: She's taking water and pellet paste willingly (sort of).

That's good news!

Does she feel bloated at all or is she sitting/laying in an unusual position? She might have gas. If you're not sure, a little simethicone won't hurt.

We just got back from the emergency vet a few hours ago. She force fed her some oxbow critical care, and Amber actually took some of it willingly! And just a few minutes ago she took a craisin from us:bunnydance:. Thanks for the good thoughts everyone! I'm sure they played a big part in her improvement:D.

She believes that she may have a mild hairball, and prescribed pineapple juice.She also said that her molars feel like they are cutting into her gums and reccomends that we have our usual vet put her under anesthesia and grind them down.Maybewe have foundpart of what causes these perennial bouts of not eating.

Thanks for asking:). She's completely back to normal; she's eating like a horse again. She even did a few bunny 500's this morning. We're taking Amber and Devon to the vet for nail clippings on Friday, and the vet is going to look at her teeth (she also wants to check Devon's, just in case she passed the trait onto him). At that point she'll decide if Amber (or Devon) needs the procedure and then we'll schedule it.

I feel for you! I go through these "Not eating" phases a LOT. I've been through it more then 5 times with Pepsi due to stress. She doesn't handle stress AT ALL so I really have to watch her enviroment or she goes into her 'not eating' phase!

Glad she's doing better!

What a coincidence that I logged on when you are talking about Amber and her not eating. Sounds like our Julep who is a year and a half and just the past few days has not been eating his usual. He eats Timothy Hay, lettuce and carrots. He has no interest in the lettuce right now, has had a little hay an nibbled on the carrot. His stools look okay. I think it's the change in weather, it was hot and then got humid and looks like we are going to have a storm. He also got his nails cut on Saturday and maybe the stress was too much. Anyways, he is a bit nervous and spending most the time under our bed and will give the occasional thump. We called the vet and will see what happens tomorrow morning . We are familiar with Bunnies and giving up eating and are hoping he perks up his appetite soon. We also have the Pedialite to give if necessary. This is our third Bunny in 17 years, we just love him and there's nothing like a bunny for a pet!!

Terry

Ooo. If you want, you could also start another thread if you need more information.

I've learnt to deal with the not eating on my own pretty much.. it still scares the heck out of me, but hopefully we won't have any accurances anytime soon! As long as she's eating that's ok, and if her stools are normal she should be fine. She'll probably go back to normal when the weather starts changing or in a few days if the stress from the nail clipping is what started it. Just stay on alert if it's been more than 24hrs without any droppings.

Thanks for your reply, he ate some carrot yesterday and a little hay, has no interest in his romaine which normally he likes. He had a few stools which are normal looking. Will see how he is later and maybe take him to the vet just to be on the safe side if his eating doesn't pick up. I agree it is probably the stress and weather change, otherwise he doesn't appear listless. They are so fragile.

We just returned from Amber's vet visit. The vet agrees that her molars are a little sharp, and that they need to be filed. The good news is, Amber won't need to be put under anasthesia. Apparently our vet recently purchased a special set of rabbit tooth files. She didn't have time to check Devon, so she'll look at him on Thursday when she files Amber's teeth. If he needs the procedure, she'll do it on the spot.

We may have also found the root of Amber's periodic bouts of not eating. I mentioned that Amber seems to eat particulary vigorously the night before one of her episodes, and that her episodes are usually a few days after a schedule change. The vet believes that this means the coupling of too much gas with extra stress puts her over the edge. I'm also going to keep a detailed journal of what she eats, how she acts, and any stress or injuries that may have occured in the hopes that next time this happens (hopefully it won't:)) we can really determine what causes her problems.

Once again, thank you all for your good thoughts:bunnydance:

Glad to hear about Amber and that you found a solution. Keeping a journal sounds like a good idea, hard to tell what sets bunny's off. Julep is now starting to eat, he went to the vet and they didn't find anything wrong. He is now munching away on his coriander and just ate a mini carrot, he is starting to eat his hay again. Let's all hope for good health for all our bunnies. :bunnydance:

Latest posts

Back