Am I feeding too much veggies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apollo’s Slave

Reaction score
Sorry for such random questions recently!

Apollo weighs just under 6lb (2.5kg). He gets unlimited hay, 2 cups of veggies, and 1/4 cup of pellets a day. We sometimes feed less than 2 cups of veggies, just to be safe but only like 1 1/2 cup split into two meals.

Is that too much?

Someone told me that I was feeding too much veggies and that I should only be feeding 1/4 cup of veggies 😅

Thanks in advance 💞

No, that isn't much at all! I was told by more knowledgeable people here that just like hay, there's virtually no limit on too much greens, just have to monitor his poops to figure out if it's too much or not. Two cups per 2.5 kg sounds just fine by me! Lümi was weighed just as much while Storm is probably almost double that weight and i don't measure their greens at all-whenever i go mix up a green salad for them both get an equal amount and i look at their poos later to see if i have overfed. If they turn dark dark it's been a bit of an overkill, if they stay on their normal light-ish side (or brown or idunno what Apollo's poops normally look like) then it's been fine. But going by the reccommended ratio, his diet is perfect!

No worries! Just think more in terms of greens than veggies. There are some veggies (and some greens) that should be limited -- not fed daily. But others are fine for daily offerings. As long as you bear in mind what greens are being fed, then 2-4 cups of daily greens is just fine.

1596502044849.png

Thank you!
Of course, all the vegetables that I give him are dark and leafy green. I know that quite a bit about the safe veggies and stuff like that.
Thanks a lot!

@Blue eyes what sort of rabbit is on that picture? Their coat looks lot like Lümi's so i was curious!

We care for more than a dozen special needs' and elder sanctuary members. We provide one romaine leaf in the a.m. with cilantro (when decent cilantro is available), always fresh hay, and approx. 3/4th to 1 c. of greens/veggie mix in their evening salad bowl. All do well with that plan. Our DVM says that's A-OK. Fresh hay and different varieties, all the time. At one time we had 20+ dependants in our care so we've rarely been able to give large amounts of greens. Our 9-10+ lb. house buns do A-OK with their exercise hours and consuming less than 2 c. of greens per day. Hope this helps.

Thanks everyone! I think I will stick to the amount I usually give which is about 1 1/2 cup, as long as Apollo has no problems with it - as it hasn’t for the past 10 months 😅💞

thanks!

I know that quite a bit about the safe veggies and stuff like that.
Thanks a lot!

I figured you did. just wanted to include that for others who may read the post. ;)

@Blue eyes what sort of rabbit is on that picture? Their coat looks lot like Lümi's so i was curious!

Have no idea! He was from a rescue so don't know what mix he may have been.

Have no idea! He was from a rescue so don't know what mix he may have been.
It's okay, i'm glad to know that he was rescued though! Adorable bun! He must've been pretty small if 2-4cups seem to be larger than him though!

Latest posts

Back