Alyssa's Bunny Blog!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We just got home from the bunny dates, and oh boy did it go well!

The new bunny's name is Evie! I may end up changing the name, but for now, that's her name! She is in love with Bugs! She groomed him all over and he loved it! The lady said that's the second best date she's ever seen! He thumped once at first, but he did seem to like her. She is a 1 year old mini rex and is mostly black, with some orange and white on her paws, belly, and ears. She's so small she makes little Bugs look massive! I don't have many good pictures, but I will post the ones I do have. She is also very social and has already been playing with the toys.

I would like to do the fast method of bonding, but I can't seem to find any clear information on it. My questions are:
1. Could using my bathroom work? Or should I use an area as big as my bedroom (as that's where they will be kept when bonded)
2. I feel that by using the fast method, I'm rushing the process. Is this true?
3. Should I give them a couple weeks to get used to being around each other and then do the fast method?

Also, she was only spayed a couple of weeks ago. I'm scared that if I get them bonded soon, her hormones won't fully be gone and she will try to fight him. Is this a real concern I should be aware of?

She was fed Kaytee pellets. I don't have those as I feed Oxbow. Should I give her no pellets now and then in a few days start giving her some Oxbow?

Here's the pictures, sorry they aren't great.Snapchat-537718967.jpegSnapchat-2111118900.jpegSnapchat-644475621.jpegSnapchat-928373878.jpeg

She came out of her box to eat some romaine, so I got these pictures!20190615_200240.jpeg20190615_200244.jpeg20190615_200258.jpeg

I just thought I'd update you on some things I've noticed about Evie.

She has a completely different look to what I'm used to. She's really slender and has "normal" bunny ears (not trying to offend all the lops :) ) and she's so soft! I could pet her for hours, and she'd probably let me. She is very friendly and will let me pet her already. She's probably the only bunny that can make little 3.5 pound Bugs look big. She isn't fully litter box trained, but within the last 24 hours, she appears to have grasped the concept and is using it for the most part. It's Bugs who seems to forgot how to use a litter box! Evie also is obsessed with hay! She is constantly munching on it. She looooves toys also! She has been throwing all the toys around the cage and nibbling on them all. Finally, all of those toys will get played with! (Reference to a previous blog post where I shared that Bugs isn't a big toy player after he's had the toy for a day, leaving me with a tote full of unused toys). She was just running around my room and doing binkys! She flopped in her litter box after eating a nice piece of hay first when she was tired.

Bugs and Evie will have a vet appointment within the next few weeks, whenever I think I have enough money saved for it as I want their ears looked at and an x-ray to see what's up with Bugs's calcium issues he had earlier this year. I suspect Evie may have an eye problem as it's a little pink on the white part of her eye. I always figured you weren't supposed to see the white part so I want to check to see if that's normal in rex's. I also want my vet to take a look at Bugs's wound on his side as I'm worried it's not healing properly. It probably would have needed a stitch or two as you can see where the skin is parted on the other sides of the scabbed area. I feel bad that I didn't see it earlier but when I did, I didn't want to waste money on a vet visit as he was acting fine so I've been keeping an eye on it.

How exciting! And this does sound more promising, more like a love at first sight, which should be much easier. It's really the only kind of bonds I care to do anymore as I don't like dealing with the stress of the other ones.

So her color is black otter. Rex fur is the softest bunny fur there is. It's like velvet, so yes, you pretty much just want to sit there and pet them all day.

So with doing the fast method of bonding, if they truly are love at first sight, it kind of just happens naturally as they want to be together so much that it makes it fairly easy. I would do a test run first and put them together in the bathroom or other small area for several hours if possible, and just observe how they react to one another. If they instantly are getting along then I would set up an area that you will be able to keep them in 24/7, where you will be able to monitor them and keep a close eye on things. Your bedroom could work if you can make an area neutral. Though I will say that with my love at first sight bond, I ended up just putting them in the does permanent area right away without neutralizing anything, as they got on so well and desperately wanted to be together. But if she does still seem too hormonal and wants to hump him too much, then hold off the bonding and give her a few weeks for the hormones to fade.

You can't really rush things too much if they really like each other and you are seeing signs they really want to be together. In fact delaying things too long can actually cause problems because the tension can build and cause issues. It's a balance of determining what will work best for their personalities, and sometimes it's difficult to tell when you don't have a lot of experience with rabbit behavior or bonding. You just have to forge ahead sometimes and hope it's the right choice. If you go with the fast method and it doesn't seem to be working out, you can always backtrack and take it slower if you need to.

With the pellets, since she likes hay, free feed that and just gradually start increasing her pellet amount each day til you get to the normal amount you want to feed her. Unless you are able to get them bonded, then you may need to accelerate her pellet amount some, as you will then need to feed them together.

Bugs wound will heal as long as it doesn't get infected. If it did need stitches you would see a significant depression or indent where the wound is. But regardless it's too late now to do anything more but monitor the healing. And it won't hurt anything besides him having a little bit larger scar than he would have. So I would just continue to keep an eye out for signs of infection(redness, swelling, lump, oozing, yellowish/white discharge).

I just had a session that lasted 1.5 hours and it went better then any of Bugs's and Lola's ever did. There is humping from them both (mainly Bugs humping her though) and she hates it. Will he eventually give up on humping her? I always stop the humping right away because the bun being humped would look mad or grunt at the other. Bugs only humped Lola once, but then again, Lola didn't also want to be the top bun. They shared the litter box I put in except for when Bugs humped her and she ran away and jumped into the litter box to get away from him. He tried to get into the litter box with her a few seconds later and she nipped his head. A little scuff happened after that, but I broke it up and gave them lettuce. I don't blame her, I would be angry too!

There was grooming from them both! They also both groomed themselves many times and Bugs even flopped (on the air vent of course)! There wasn't any snuggling, but I imagine that'll happen soon. Bugs has been flopping around her cage when she's on the other side of the bars. Evie was eating the last piece of lettuce I gave them and Bugs tried to take it out of her mouth! She stood up on her hind legs so he couldn't steal it and finished it.

I struggled to end the session on a good note however. Bugs had tried to hump her and she didn't like it so she ran to sit in the litter box. Then, she started running around the bathroom and thumping, clearly scared. I don't think she was scared of Bugs because she ran to sit behind him. I still wanted to force them to sit next to each other before I ended the session but she wouldn't sit still. I just put them in their carriers and ended it there. There was no territorial behaviors happening (I was expecting there to be as Bugs is having a bit of a poop war).

I am going to continue to have long sessions that last as long as I can make them. Tomorrow, I can do a 6 hour long session before I go to work and can probably have a 5 hour one when I get back. Fingers crossed.

Here's the pictures of the cuties (and one I got of Evie while she was out for playtime)20190617_123746.jpeg20190617_123426.jpeg20190617_122906.jpeg20190617_121226.jpeg20190617_120159.jpeg20190617_115452.jpeg20190617_114939.jpeg20190617_114626.jpeg20190617_114102.jpeg20190617_100218.jpeg

I may have a bonded pair tomorrow.

I'm so happy to share this with you guys! Bugs and Evie are doing amazing! We are in the middle of a session and they're doing absolutely amazing. They both have flopped multiple times (Bugs on the air vent) and Evie wherever. Evie is definitely the dominant one and Bugs is the submissive one. Bugs will ask to be groomed and when he isn't groomed, he will get closer and closer to her until she gives in, or he decides that he wants to kiss her instead. It's pretty adorable. If the session tonight goes well, I will finish up the process tomorrow. Bugs has only humped once during this session but that's one too many. Evie and I are doing a good job at getting him to stop, by her nipping at him or me pushing him away. If I'm not working tomorrow, I will get them bonded (granted that Sir humps a lot calms his little butt down). I got them to sit next to each other and snuggle, but neither bun objected. I just pushed them together and they both fell asleep with their eyes closed! I have to go to work in a few hours, so I'm going to get ready in the bathroom so they can stay together. I hope it won't harm them too much by being seperated for a few hours.

The last picture was taken after Evie stood up after I pushed them together. She ate her ceco and layed down next to him without me needing to push them together. She looks a bit spooked because after she layed down, my sister came into the hallway and was talking loudly. She scooted away and Bugs moved next to her and she didn't mind!20190618_123218.jpeg20190618_123149.jpeg20190618_114643.jpeg20190618_110910.jpeg20190618_110430.jpeg20190618_105409.jpeg20190618_104700.jpeg20190618_103427.jpeg20190618_123650.jpeg

I'm so happy that they're doing so well together! I was really hoping and praying that your bonding would go smoothly this time around -- since I can only imagine how hard it was to bring back Lola after you must have gotten so attached to her
I'm suprised the process is going so well with these two. It's only the second session we've had and they're almost ready to be moved in together! It was difficult to bring Lola back but it was in both of their interest, and mine too.

We are having yet another session and Bugs has been chinning Evie. He's never been the type of rabbit to chin, especially to chin something repeatedley. It's adorable, and I managed to get a picture of him mid chin! I haven't decided if I want to keep them together all night. I'm nervous that something will happen, but I don't want to hurt their bond by keeping them apart. I guess this is the best time to bond them because I'm working thursday, friday, and saturday. I will have all of tomorrow and most of Thursday to cement the bond (or decide they need more time). I feel like I'm going too fast, but they seem to be ready. I'll update you guys on what I decide to do later.20190618_210701.jpeg20190618_211502.jpeg20190618_205016(0).jpeg20190618_210219.jpeg

Yay!!!

Well she's certainly relaxed :p I would say you've got a good match there. I'm so glad for you. I'm sure you're feeling a bit relieved.

I would go for it. You've got the time now, and they seem more than ready. She's obviously completely at ease around him, and he seems pretty happy with the arrangement. My love at first sight bond was the fastest one I've ever done. So it can happen, and it can go well. You can always end it if anything concerning happens, but I find it pretty doubtful seeing how well they are getting on.

ETA: Besides, I think Bugs is showing his approval by marking her as 'his'.

There was some grunting and nipping after I put them into a carrier together, so I'm nervous that something will happen if they are in an enclosed space. The box will be taken out for the night and I'll add it in tomorrow, where I can fully supervise. I'll be setting alarms for every half an hour, just so I can be sure everything's going fine. I know that if I take the cages apart, I can't get them back together. I will have the other pen set up in case they need seperated during the night.

Tonight isn't the night.

I put them (in a very neutralized space, everything was cleaned and a fresh and brand new litter box was given) in and immediately, I could tell Bugs was getting a little defensive/territorial. He was nipping at her, a lot more than he has previously. She nipped him on his face and he didn't like that so he nipped her butt. They both didn't seem happy and I didn't feel comfortable having them in the same pen overnight. I gave them some kale and then I put Evie into her cage and Bugs will be sleeping with me in the pen. I would leave him in the pen and sleep in my bed but there is bunny toys, beds, blankets, hay, etc, all over the bed and I don't feel like cleaning it up.

I gave it a shot, but they aren't ready for that step yet :(

Latest posts

Back