Alyssa's Bunny Blog!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A & B

Reaction score
So I've finally decided to start a blog! I just sat and tried to think of a creative name for it, but I came up with nothing good so I guess this name's good enough. I don't even know where to begin! I'm Alyssa, a 14-year-old from Iowa with a 1-year-old Holland Lop named Bugs, but you probably know that already.

I'm also very close to adopting another rabbit. We will be taking Bugs on some dates very soon. Below are pictures of the three we will be meeting along with a brief description of them.

The first is Brinn. She apparently doesn't do well with female rabbits, but the rescue believes she will do well with males. She was on the list for euthanasia at the shelter she was at before and spent a year in that shelter. She's a two-year-old Harlequin Mix.

The next is Cricket. She's a 6-month-old Mini Rex. They believe she is a dumped easter bunny. She will flinch when you touch her ears and because of this, the rescue believes she was picked up by her ears on multiple occasions. She isn't fully litter trained so I will have to work with her on that, but that's not a problem.

Lastly, is Pancake. She's a two-year-old Mini Lop. She had a husbun that recently died and she's showing signs of wanting another friend. She is shy at first but will warm up very quickly. They don't know anything about her past.

Below is a picture of the cage I built. The picture isn't the best quality, I'm sorry about that.
20190504_162546-jpeg.40721

I think that's it for know. Please let me know if you enjoyed this and if I should continue adding to it!

I doubt anyone cares about this blog, but I'm going to continue adding to it anyway.

A (very exciting) update on the new bun: Yesterday, I found out that the next Friday (5/17), we will be meeting the bunnies and bringing one home! We will be driving the 1 and a half hour trip to the meeting location, and I hope Bugs is okay with the 3 hour round trip car ride, especially with the new bun in the carrier with him on the way back. He isn't too stressed during car rides as some bunnies can be, but he still doesn't enjoy them. This will be the longest car ride he's ever been on. I'm worried he's going to get stressed with the whole day of events with the long car ride and the actual meeting of the bunnies though.

My parents and siblings both are in love with the mini rex. I told my parents her story and they both told me she's the one that fits our lifestyle best. She's so young and has been through so much and deserves a home with people that are going to show her love. They all do though. I wish I could take them all! A quad of bunnies does sound pretty fun! I'm really happy I chose to adopt this time. That alone has me excited! I hope Bugs and I choose the right one and that Bugs actually behaves there. Bugs knows he can get whatever he wants out of me (how can you say no to bunny kisses?) and if he doesn't like a girl, he will make sure I know. I mean, he wanted attention so bad that he came up behind me and bit me. When I asked him to not do that he came up and nipped my hand and stuck his head under and lay down. When I stopped petting him to resume typing, he started digging at my blankets and he pushed my phone off my bed. Then, he jumped off the bed and tried to throw a hanger. It failed and fell on him and it was around his head (I want to clarify that he was not stuck or panicking while the hanger was on his head). He got it off by throwing it.

@JBun do you think the Mini Rex has any permanent damage in her ears? If so, how will it affect her? If it's fear, I can definitely help her get around that but I don't want to hurt her.

The rescue is just presuming that's why she is head shy, but there's really no definitive way to say one way or the other. Though it is possible, there are other possibilities as well such as possibly being nipped by other rabbits, or maybe she just has sensitive ears. So no need to jump to any conclusions or think that there is any ear damage. But let's just say that if she had been picked up by the ears and that's why she is head shy, if there were any significant damage then you would likely see that reflected in how she carried and used her ears. So if she has them upright like normal and can also turn and use them normally, then it's likely no damage would have occurred.

As for how to treat her, just like other buns. Gain her trust and gradually she may no longer be nervous about being touched around her ears. Or if she is just sensitive there, she may never like her ears being handled.

Rant of the day:

It already takes me hours to get ready for the day, and with a bunny that loves to do anything I ask him not to do, it's hard to make sure I leave in time. My phone and charger are both broken (and chewed) so if my phone is bumped slightly, it stops charging. I woke up to an almost dead phone battery so I was already mad because I knew it won't be charged much by the time I had to leave. Did I mention I got 4-5 hours of sleep last night? I had too much homework I needed to get done that I procrastinated all weekend. Bugs decided that he likes to pee on my bed again, so I had to wash my sheets yesterday. I used spare sheets last night and I gave Bugs my sheets to play in and get his scent on them to make sure he doesn't pee on them again. When he was playing in it, he peed on it again! I will have to wash them later and pray he doesn't do it again. Then, I had to rinse his water bowl out and I spilled water on the kitchen floor and had to clean that up. I also discovered a spot in the new bunny's cage that isn't as sturdy as I would like it to be so I have to fix that by Friday. I had to set my phone on the floor to let it charge that way and Bugs's little cute butt bumped it when he flopped right onto the cord and it has no battery currently. Bugs is also molting very bad on his head and it looks very interesting, to say the least. I wish he would have started molted after the dates, but it isn't that big of a deal. There are about 5 days until the dates so I'm hopeful that his head fur will look a bit better by then. There's fur everywhere! Here's a picture of his crazy fur:
20190512_194643-jpeg.40814

I love your blog Alyssa! Can't wait to hear about the new bunny dates!
Buns can be difficult sometimes, can't they? But the best part is when you're busy doing homework, or on the computer, or reading a book, and they come up to you, and flop right next to you. It makes up for those rough days.

Our bunnies are impossible to be mad at. When I wake up to him sleeping peacefully at the end of my bed, it really is worth the little moments like this morning when he frustrated me. It's not like he meant to pee in my sheets. He was just having fun. Now that I think about it, I think he may have peed on my sheets because he was mad that I put him in his cage and shut it while I painted my walls and hung things up. He doesn't get that I was doing it for his safety. If that was the reason he did it, that's funny to me. He knows how to get what he wants. At least he wasn't chewing on the cage bars to get out. He will have to be in his cage for 12 hours so the new bunny also gets playtime starting next week after she settles in. He has free roam of my bedroom so it's weird for him to be locked in there.

OMFG, that little harlequin!! WANT! Something about that sweet, tiny little nose. She is just too gorgeous. I'm scared if I show husband, he's going to want to drive to Iowa to get her, lol. Her bone structure looks JUST like Harley Quinn - that sweet little nose (and ocean blue eyes) are the reason we now have four rabbits after I repeatedly said "absolutely not."

Rant of the day:

It already takes me hours to get ready for the day, and with a bunny that loves to do anything I ask him not to do, it's hard to make sure I leave in time. My phone and charger are both broken (and chewed) so if my phone is bumped slightly, it stops charging.
Do you have the kind of charger with a USB cord that plugs into an outlet thingy? I assume they've got Dollar Trees in Iowa... you can get a new cord for $1. Many times, at least with Android phones, it's NOT actually the phone that's the reason the charger has to be "just so"/at a specific angle, etc. or else it stops charging - it's because the two little prongs on the back of the part of the charge cord that you stick into the phone have broken off. It's late and I've been in the wine, so I'm not explaining it that well, lol... but I'm telling you, a lot of charging issues can be remedied for $1.

I can't wait to see who Bugs picks and hear all about the bonding! (Seriously, if it isn't the little harlequin, send her to me. I can do five for that face, hehe.)

I will tell Bugs that he better like her! Her face shape is very unique and those ears are massive! She seems like the one for me, but it's up to Bugs to decide if she's really the one. I'm in love with bunny couples that look completely different so she would be perfect! She's also been there for a year+, making her one of the longest staying rabbits at the rescue. I'm so excited! I also found a way to make the cage more secure so I will be doing that tonight. I'm working tomorrow so today is my last day to get everything completely ready.

I will have to get a new cord before I go insane!

If we don't get her, I will definitely send her to you haha. I'm crossing my fingers that he likes her!

Last night was a rough one for Bugs and I.

He has these nights about every few months or so when he goes crazy with digging and chewing. Every 30 minutes to an hour, I would be woken up to him digging at me or the spot next to me. I would pet his head, which usually gets him to calm down, but it didn't. Upon waking up, I realized he peed on my pillow. Last night before I fell asleep, we had snuggle time (which he enjoys) and we both fell asleep. I'm a very light sleeper and this drove me nuts all night. Whenever he does it, it is usually done in his cage so it doesn't bother me. I tried to push the stool he uses to get on my bed away and see if that kept him off, but he can apparently jump onto my bed without the stool.

Has anyone ever experienced this?

Our rabbits don't have free roam at night, but sometimes we have "one of those nights" with the darn cats... going berserk, crying all night if you lock them out of the room for going berserk...

One time, we did fall asleep with Layne (RIP, little guy) in the room, thinking he'd be a reasonably good bunny while we took a nap. Not so much! I think he may have actually started on my desk (one end of which was up against the bed by my pillow... but anyway, he managed to jump in a way where he landed on my head/face and then jumped onto my husband's head/face all in one move! That's why we have a "no loose bunnies when we're both sleeping" policy.

Latest posts

Back