Aloha, and Happy to be here today!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damtsik

Reaction score
open
I've been in love with rabbits since my daughter brought home a mini lionhead lop 10 years ago. I now have 6 rescues. Four of them are black American Rex, mini Rex? probably all brothers and sisters. I fostered them and then adopted them. I had one black American Rex, probably from the same meat breeder as the most recent 4. The meat breeder here on Maui culls sometimes to our local Humane Society, or at least his children and friends take them to Humane Society. He actually overwhelms our HS with his culls. Which is why I have 5 Black American Rex/mini Rex. Then there is one sweet baby, Pebbles, who I fostered when she was rescued from some sort of abuse and confinement. She had urine burns on her lower body, feet, face, etc. It was touch and go for awhile but here she is, happy and healthy. She gets along with all other 5 rabbits (Puja, Buster, Cinnamin, Chloe, and Clover), no problem. But none of them get along with anyone else, except for her. I was really hoping to establish a warren and have everyone free roam within a secured, large fenced area with several hutches. But the arguing is on-going.:( I've been hoping time and exposure would help. Its been workable, everyone separated by fences, but now I have 3 of them who are jumping fences and fighting. So I now have 3 with wounds. They are separated and inside of hutches til they recover. So, stopping by for advice, support, friendship. Aloha:):)View media item 9598View media item 9599View media item 9597

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to the forum! Cute rabbits you have!

Groups can be most difficult so it's not surprising that you're having a hard time of it. Rabbits can be quite picky about who they will agree to get along with.

What's the age of the newest girl (the 'baby')? If she really is still quite young, that could be one reason why the others tolerate her. If this is the case, it may only last until her hormones kick in. Otherwise she may just be a particularly likable gal.

Are your others male, female?

So since I posted this we have had some changes in our family. Our Humane Society needed bunnies for adoption, so I took in 2 of my fighters and they gave me a Momma and 9 kits to foster. I really should not adopt most of my fosters, I'm better situated to foster and just have 4 at most. I just got the Momma home and I'm starting to read up on what I need to do for her and the kits.

So I have:
Pebbles: the white Chinchilla French Lop (spayed female) who is bonded with: -- 1 yr. 9 mos
Buster: black Rex (neutered male) bonded with Pebbles -- 10 months old
Chloe: black Rex (spayed female) in a run next to Puja: -- 10 months old
Puja: black Rex (neutered male) in a run next to Chloe -- 2yrs. 2 mos. old

Pebbles and Buster can run next to Chloe
There can be fence fighting between Buster and Chloe still, only occasionally between Puja and Chloe. I have spent time trying to bond Chloe and Puja, and we may get there yet. Puja and Pebbles were bonded, it took me months to bond them. But, at some point Puja was jumping fences and fighting the other four young Rexes that I was fostering and I put him in a hutch and pen away from everyone for awhile. Pebbles bonded with Buster and seems to prefer him, so I've just left the two of them together. Puja is pretty chill in his pen next to Chloe for now.

Clover and Cinnamon -- Black Rex's, 10 months old, these two and Buster were jumping fences and fighting. All 3 were getting wounded to the point where I took Clover and Cinnamon back to the Humane Society a few days ago when they asked me to foster a Mom who had just given birth to 9 kits. The HS did not have any rabbits for adoption, so for the safety and health of the the 4- 10 month old Rexs, I surrendered two to the HS. One has already been adopted. Things have quieted down a lot here.

Now, I have a Mom Flemish Giant and 9 kits (born 1/6/2019) to tend to as a Foster bunny mom. My first litter.
:) pics in a few days.

Latest posts

Back