Almost Impossible to potty-train!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katmais_mommy

Reaction score
My two unaltered males both have litterboxes in their hutches. Katmai is 95% savvy with his potty. Dutch, well, I knew he'd be tough. Instead of going in one corner, he always used to go on one entire side of his hutch. Now that he has a litterbox, he uses it. BUT the weird part is that he'll only POOP in it! He won't pee in it. Nope, he'll pee in the other corner though! It's quite frustration. But I am glad that he poops in his potty because his Papa (my dad lol)hates the buns. Until I get Dutch fixed, is there any other trick I can try to get him to PEE in his potty?

Can you give him more litter boxes and put it where he usually pees?

When you wipe up his urine, do it with some paper towel, then throw the soaked paper towel in the litter box so he knows that's where pee goes. Might help.

Two things seem to help (though, given he's still intact, there's no guarantee they'll work):

1) Wipe up the spots where he pees outside his box with Kleenex, then put the soiled Kleenex into the box. Having his scent in there will help him to recognize that's where he should pee.

2) Clean the spots where he pees outside his box with vinegar to remove his scent. This way, the pee smell should only be in his box.

Hope that helps!

Rue

Since Dutch is in a hutch there's no way to make the space "smaller", is there?

When I brought Penny home, she was peeing everywhere. I know her and I know she's litter box trained so when I finally adopted her and she was peeing everywhere I knew it was a behavioral thing. The wiping up pee thing wasn't working very well, though it did help reduce the frequency of it, it wasn't 100%. What finally did it was reducing her pen space by 50%. I was reluctant to halve such a big bunny's living space but you know what, she literally learned to use the box overnight. I am slowly increasing her square footage again. Sometimes bunnies freak out over new territory when they're giving lots of room and they just have to mark it up.

kirbyultra wrote:
Since Dutch is in a hutch there's no way to make the space "smaller", is there?

When I brought Penny home, she was peeing everywhere. I know her and I know she's litter box trained so when I finally adopted her and she was peeing everywhere I knew it was a behavioral thing. The wiping up pee thing wasn't working very well, though it did help reduce the frequency of it, it wasn't 100%. What finally did it was reducing her pen space by 50%. I was reluctant to halve such a big bunny's living space but you know what, she literally learned to use the box overnight. I am slowly increasing her square footage again. Sometimes bunnies freak out over new territory when they're giving lots of room and they just have to mark it up.

I tried putting things in every corner except his potty corner. I put his water in one corner, his potty in another, his veggie dish in another, and his food dish in the last corner. I figured, then he can't pee anywhere else. But when I went to check on him, he tossed his food dish and then peed in the empty corner. He knew his food dish wasn't supposed to be in his pee corner.

Maybe I'll try pouring his pee from the drop pan into the potty and see if he'll recognize his new pee corner.

Latest posts

Back