Allergic to Timothy hay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peneloppythebun

Reaction score
Hi everyone I just got my bun and ever since her Timothy hays been in my room I’ve staring to have an itchy dry cough and my chin is itchy and I’m starting to get a rash. Before I got her I wasn’t coughing at all. Do you guys think it could be because if the Timothy hay? I heard about orchard grass but right now I’m suffering so much I can’t take it I’m coughing so much and I’m worried about my health. I’m coughing non stop like crazy. I can’t take it I can’t even sleep And I feel like throwing the whole box of Timothy hay in the trash right now.

You might be allergic to hay or your bunny. Myself it’s allergic to grass/hay don’t know which kind. But I have noticed different cut hay and what time they was cut will have an impact on me.

I’m not as allergic as you, when it’s hay that I react to. I will just have an itchy throat, sound like I’m got a major cold and everything itchy. The same kind of symptoms when summer kicks in and grass pollen fill the air. You seem to get allergic asthma instead.

Sometimes I buy eye drops for my allergy to make it stop itching so much. Best for you would be trying different types of hay, hay blocks or fresh grass also eating allergy tablets regularly to handle the allergy. But it will be useless if it have already kicked in.

You really need to find different hay and try to let the window be open to vent the room. Let someone else shake the hay outside to make it less dusty for you to handle.

You can buy small bags to test the hay and see if you will react.

You might be allergic to hay or your bunny. Myself it’s allergic to grass/hay don’t know which kind. But I have noticed different cut hay and what time they was cut will have an impact on me.

I’m not as allergic as you, when it’s hay that I react to. I will just have an itchy throat, sound like I’m got a major cold and everything itchy. The same kind of symptoms when summer kicks in and grass pollen fill the air. You seem to get allergic asthma instead.

Sometimes I buy eye drops for my allergy to make it stop itching so much. Best for you would be trying different types of hay, hay blocks or fresh grass also eating allergy tablets regularly to handle the allergy. But it will be useless if it have already kicked in.

You really need to find different hay and try to let the window be open to vent the room. Let someone else shake the hay outside to make it less dusty for you to handle.

Yeah I think it might be the hay because when I pet my bunny or go near her I’m okay but when it comes to the hay I think that’s where I start sneezing and coughing and having an itchy throat and itchy chin. When I go out to the kitchen I’m okay it’s just when I go back to my room I will have a dry off, I do take Benadryl and it does help but only for a bit. My throat will still be itchy and make me cough a bit. I will try orchard grass hay. What kind of hay do you use?

Yeah I think it might be the hay because when I pet my bunny or go near her I’m okay but when it comes to the hay I think that’s where I start sneezing and coughing and having an itchy throat and itchy chin. When I go out to the kitchen I’m okay it’s just when I go back to my room I will have a dry off, I do take Benadryl and it does help but only for a bit. My throat will still be itchy and make me cough a bit. I will try orchard grass hay. What kind of hay do you use?
So far I have small pet select hay that is in the box maybe that could be why I’m sneezing. Should I get a storage bin for it?

I don’t want to give up my bun I just got her and I don’t want to put stress on her even more

So far I have small pet select hay that is in the box maybe that could be why I’m sneezing. Should I get a storage bin for it?

I use meadow hay, that ‘s what I can easily buy but I storage all the hay in the garage and do a good shake before I take it into my room. So it’s not that dusty. The hay I have now, I only react if I touch it but that’s only because it’s less dusty.

But you should get a bag of orchard grass and see if you will react.

I use meadow hay, that ‘s what I can easily buy but I storage all the hay in the garage and do a good shake before I take it into my room. So it’s not that dusty. The hay I have now, I only react if I touch it but that’s only because it’s less dusty.

I just bought two 40z bags of Oxbow Orchard grass hay for 27.99 and I hope I don’t react to it.

Go try a different type a hay and move what you currently have to the garage or something. Dont find ways to still keep it in your room.

You’re absolutely right, I’m going to take it out of my room and vacuum my room completely because it’s kind of somewhat all over my room I think if I move it somewhere else I’ll be okay.

I hope the Orchard grass works for you. That seems pretty pricey for so little hay.

Once you find a hay that works, you may want to buy that kind by the half-bale from a feed store. You can store it somewhere other than your room and just keep a couple days' supply in a small lidded plastic bin in your room. (A full bale costs less than $20 and is so heavy I can't lift it by myself. It would last one rabbit over a year -- which is why I suggested a half-bale.)

I hope the Orchard grass works for you. That seems pretty pricey for so little hay.

Once you find a hay that works, you may want to buy that kind by the half-bale from a feed store. You can store it somewhere other than your room and just keep a couple days' supply in a small lidded plastic bin in your room. (A full bale costs less than $20 and is so heavy I can't lift it by myself. It would last one rabbit over a year -- which is why I suggested a half-bale.)

I’m going to look into buying it in half baleliek you suggested instead, because it can get pretty pricey, also I bought Peneloppy some willow balls and willow ring from binky bunny and she doesn’t pay interest to it except for the card board box my aunt gave me she likes going through it

Last edited:

I felt like I wasted money on toys ):

Have heard of people being allergic to Timothy Hay. Orchard grass is as good for buns. So hope it works for you. Rye grass is also low in calcium and protein and high in fibre so another option and cheaper if you can get it.

Please help! My bunny just bite a small part of my controller and I’m scared I pulled it away from her but I think she ingested a small piece!

Have heard of people being allergic to Timothy Hay. Orchard grass is as good for buns. So hope it works for you. Rye grass is also low in calcium and protein and high in fibre so another option and cheaper if you can get it.
I do have critical care in hand!

Don't worry! She'll be fine. Half the buttons have been chewed off of our remotes.:D
Are you sure?! I’m freaking out it’s a teeny tiny piece I got so worried. So far shes into plastic but not her toys): not even her willow ball and ring

Latest posts

Back