Allergic reaction to eye ointment??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flash Gordon

Reaction score
Flash has been to the vet twice now for a growth on his eye ..glaucoma and ulcers have been rules out so we are administering NEOPOLYDEX eye ointment twice a day for a week..suppose to talk to the vet tomorrow to let him know if this has helped his eye...well this morning i noticed that the rim around his eye is turning pink...and tonight when putting the eye gel in i pulled up on his eyelid and his whole inner skin under his eyelid thats suppose to be white is now dark almost solid pink ...i already go the gel in then noticed this ..but i imediately got a lukewarm washcloth and wiped it out and held it over his eyes ..he seemed so relieved by this and kept trying to push his face into the washcloth for comfort ....which made me cry like a big baby..i was putting something in his eye that hurts.....im doin more damage with this medicine.....has anybody seen or heard of a reaction to an antibiotic eye gel before..??.

hes so miserable right now...i have been researching this and it really looks like its a corneal lipidosis/ other names are Corneal dystrophy,lipid keratopathy which is a fat(cholesterol) and minerals(calcium) buildup under the cornea ...

corneal lipidosis
its been seen in american Dutch Belted rabbits or rabbits that have been fed on a milk and cheese diet....ive also been reading that Netherland dwarfs had a prob like this but they breed it out ...anybody know ANYTHING about this ??.ill post his original pic in this thread too..
flashowie005.jpg

I don't know anything about the corneal lipidosis, however I do agree that the eye ointment is probably the wrong drug and that you shouldn't use it.
I would have to read more about the condition that you discovered.

When my Beau had a corneal ulcerI do know that the vet really did not want to administer an eye ointment with steroids and Neopolydex hasthe steroid dexamethasone.

Flash is really lucky that you are so obervant

he is REALLY a cute bunny :)

I'll post when I know something

is there anyway that he cuda screwed up on testing for an ulcer?. i mean i watched him put these drops in his eyes and nothing clung to part of his eye and changed colors..it just pooled up in the corner of his eye the same color that the drops came outta the bottle....could an ulcer test actually go wrong??..Flashie is miserable..and tomorrow is christmas eve..my vet better do something tomorrow or im gonna hunt him down at his house while hes singing Christmas Carols and it wont be a nice visit...

thanks for being here and responding so quickly :) ..im really mad about this and i shouldnt be i know its not the vets fault but geez its tough seeing him looking so miserable..hes squinting in both eyes now and seems exhausted...silly bunnies why we gotta love em so much...?

I know what you mean and this stuff always happens on a weekend when it is hard to get help :(

I read the article in medi-rabbit about lipidosis but in Flash's case it isn't diet related ;I didn't see anything yet about the genetics of certain breeds.

i know thats the part i dont understand either..but other people who have looked at the pic and know eyes say it looks like a protein buildup ...and my vet def said it was just under the cornea ..im prob gonna have to take him to a vet opthamologist ..but time is crucial with this stuff isnt it?.i dont want him to lose any eyesight because of the holiday..have u ever been to a vet eye dr.? any idea on price range on just the visit itself??
i talked to Barbi Brown who is very knowleadgable about bunnies and she said shes seen this in netherland dwarfs and only 1 other thrianta...no known causes or treatments..they prob culled the ones who had it...,that doesnt help my Flash ..but she did want to know his ancestery so i gave her all the info and shes gonna see if this cud be a hereditary thing...do breeders keep files on why they cull a certain bunny??

i know im asking alot of questions but this is part of the research and sometimes people have more knowleadge or answers to questions that i have then they realize.

I don't see why it couldn't be an adverse reaction, anything or anyone could have an adverse reaction to anything. I've had a horse have a bad reaction to a laundry detergent that I had washed her blanket in.

Have you tried the terramycin or can't you find it locally either?

http://www.mohrs.org/hrswebpg24.html

I think that you probably read this article also.
If it actually is lipidosis there may be limited treatment ( not sure)

I did see an animal opthalmologist when I lived in Chicago. She diagnosed my bun Sheba with glaucoma. Sheba was blind but adapted very well to the disability
Hopefully this won't happen to Flash :pray:
but if it does occur ..rabbits adapt better than their owners
I am going to bed now so I hope that you get some rest and also some resolution to this tomorrow.

:hug:

thank u sleep well..ill let u know what the vet says tomorrow..thanks again for being here...:)

Heather i think im gonna wait to talk to the vet before i put anything else in his eyes for now..they are very irritated.

I think that is wise. The fact that it's irritating his eye might also clue the vet as to what is going on. I'm sorry it's not improving. I hope things settle down really soon. Poor Flashie and poor mum! :(

vet sent me an email back and told me to stop the eye ointment...and get Flashie in to see him on tuesday...well i just called and left a message and the nurse said as soon as he gets off the other line he will call me right back..so im gonna ask about an opthamologist and see if i can start him on the tobramycin or terramycin until then...i cant not do ANYTHING..his eye isnt as bloodshot today so the cortisone mustve really irritated his eye ...i talked to him about the lipidosis in our email and he said it doesnt look like that to him it looks like an edema.....well edema can be helped with a over the counter solution called Sodium Chloride Hypertonicity Ophthalmic Solution which is at Walgreens and its named Muro 128 ..gonna ask him about that too..im only writing down all this stuff on this thread cuz if another bunny has a prob like this i want them to have something to work off of .cuz i dont and ive been researching this for quite a few nights that have turned into mornings and NOTHING...

ok im gonna use sodium chloride hypertonicity opthalmo...solution which is over the counter stuff for corneal edema..i have an appt with an opthamololist vet next week ...were trying the drops until then ..wish us luck..and i am gonna start him on some panacur just in case its EC ...i have done 2 rounds of ivermectin in the past but never panacur..

E-cuniculi can cause various eye problems in rabbit like uveitis and cataracts but not necessarily an opthalmic problem that will present in exactly the same way in every rabbit.

I googled "photos of opthalmic problems in rabbits with e-cuniculi "..lots of articles

but this doesn't mean that Flash has ecuniculi

The EC-related eye issues I've seen have looked different, but I have not seen many. Hope you can get a solution!

Maureen and Claire i just dont know about the EC thing...ive seen every pic of rabbit eye diseases thats every been downloaded in the history of the internet......no seriously..hehe and none of the pics i look at are anything like what i see in his eye....grrr.
hes letting me put this new ointment in his eye ,the other stuff mustve really hurt right away cuz he jumped and flinched the moment it made contact to his eye...but this stuff he just sits there with a sweet little smile and lets me poke his eye ...its thicker then the other ointment too ..so i really gotta give it some time to kinda melt into his eye before i let him run off ..

Latest posts

Back