Alfalfa Sprouts

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pet_Bunny

Reaction score
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA ) to Advise Consumers not to Eat Alfalfa Sprouts

The FDA held an emergency Teleconference with sprout growers 3:00-3:30 PM Eastern on Saturday April 25, 2009.

The FDA believes they have sufficient epidemiological evidence to link alfalfa sprouts to the current outbreak of Salmonella saintpaul in Michigan, Pennsylvania, South Dakota and Utah. They believe this outbreak is linked to the February/March Outbreak of Salmonella saintpaul in Nebraska, Iowa, South Dakota, Kansas, and Colorado. Together these outbreaks have involved more than 180 confirmed illnesses. Yet they have not found Salmonella saintpaul in any sprout or seed.

The FDA is going to advise consumers not to eat alfalfa sprouts. The warning will go out tonight or tomorrow.

I love alfalfa sprouts but the first time I ate them they were contaminated or something.
My mom and sisters got stomach aches and I ended up throwing up. That was a couple of years ago and I haven't touched them since.

Be sure you don't feed your rabbits alfalfa sprouts.
We grow and sell bean sprouts, but that is completely different from alfalfa sprouts.

I read a long time ago that sprouts often cause food poisoning, so I've never fed them to the bunnies. Funny thing is just tonight I was eying the sprouts at the grocery store but didn't buy any because I didn't want to potentially harm the bunnies! It's really easy to grow your own sprouts and you can really cut down on the chances of food poisoning if you grow them yourself. I should find my little sprouting box and buy some seeds so the bunnies can partake too!

Latest posts

Back