Alfalfa Hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBandus

Reaction score
Good Evening,

We are collecting our 8 week of buck on Saturday but we are really struggling to get hold of Alfalfa hay, what should we do?
Thank you

Don't give them Alfalfa Hay, it makes the transition to Timothy Hay super difficult. If you give them Alfalfa-based pellets and Timothy hay (and of course water) they will do amazing!

Good luck with the baby bunny! Male rabbits tend to get aggressive and destructive at 12-16 weeks so I highly suggest getting him neutered at 12 weeks to keep that from happening.

Thank you, I was really worrying.

I have him booked for a good overall with the vets so will cover all of that with them. Thanks again, I think I will have a million and one more questions 🙈. Our previously bunnies have been rescue bunnies so much older.

Attachments

• C8877CA4-BB96-43DC-AA71-83F3E93223F2.jpeg
    C8877CA4-BB96-43DC-AA71-83F3E93223F2.jpeg
    46.6 KB · Views: 5
Good Evening,

We are collecting our 8 week of buck on Saturday but we are really struggling to get hold of Alfalfa hay, what should we do?
Thank you
You could try to order the hay off on Amazon or chewy. We couldn’t find any Alfala pellets for Arlo in the stores anywhere and had to ask the breeder for extra. We ordered to pellets off chewy and it came earlier than it was supposed to. But my baby bunny doesn’t eat alfalfa hay just halfala pellets (1/4) and unlimited Timothy grass hay and unlimited water. But I would stick to the diet he’s already eating since rabbits have very sensitive stomachs.

For the first week at least,, sometimes two, it's recommended to stick to the same exact diet the baby bun is used to, unless it's causing serious digestive illness.

Baby rabbits have a delicate digestive system, and the stress of a new home can affect digestive function. So adding a change of food to that isn't a good idea. Usually the place you get the bunny from will give at least two weeks of pellets so you can transition your rabbit to the pellet you plan on feeding. If not, find out the exact same type and brand of pellets they feed, and get those to start with. After the bunny has had a week to settle in, if you are going to change pellet food types, a slow transition can usually be started after that first week. It should take two weeks to completely transition from one pellet type to the other, provided no mushy poop or digestive issues develop.

Like mentioned, alfalfa hay isn't necessary when alfalfa based pellets are fed. Feeding alfalfa hay in addition can actually be too rich of a diet, causing slower digestive function, excessive production of cecotropes that get left uneaten, and will usually make for a very picky rabbit that doesn't want to switch to a grass hay when they reach adulthood.

Alfalfa based pellets limited enough so that bun is eating a pile of good quality grass hay the size of their body per day, is what I prefer to do for baby rabbits. Then monitor droppings and weight/body condition to see if this diet is working well for your rabbit. There should be no uneaten cecals, no mushy poop, and normal round golden fecal poop. Body condition should be rounded and not bony along the back and hindquarters.

baby rabbit diet

That’s amazing, thank you.
The lady we are getting the bunny from is sending him home with a transitional kit, so I am presuming it’s food etc.

Latest posts

Back