Alfalfa based diet for young rabbit - when to switch?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuddyRabbit7

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
My rabbit is almost 4 months old and he’s currently eating unlimited alfalfa hay and oxbow’s young rabbit pellets.

I’ve read mixed reviews on when to start switching over to timothy hay. At what age do you think it’s appropriate to start easing your rabbit into timothy hay based diet?

I have 6-month old girls and started switching over from alfalfa to timothy/orchard hay at about 4 months. One bun will eat any hay, the other has been more stubborn and would prefer just to have alfalfa. I have noticed a significant improvement in urine smell/color since switching.

Hi, 4-6 months usually, also there was actually no need using alfalfa hay as you feed Oxbow young rabbit and they are based on alfalfa so if you'd feed regular timothy or meadow hay and alfalfa based pellets that would be enough. I would try to move to timothy or other hay gradually and then alfalfa pellets also gradually. Well they say that you can feed young rabbit up to one year old just watch your rabbit, if you see they are getting fat after 4 months and their poos are too dark and if there are some cecals left not eaten maybe their diet is too rich and it is time to move to adult pellets non-alfalfa.

Latest posts

Back