Albino info?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swarning1222

Reaction score
I have a litter of babies that just opened their eyes (it was a total freak accident litter and yes I have an appointment to have my boy neutered!). I have two albinos. Is there anything special I need to know? I've been reading online that they have very bad eyesite, but then some people say this isn't true. And I read about the scanning and sun sensitivity and all. Is there anything specific people should know about them? I just want to make sure I know what to tell people wanting to adopt them and so I can make sure they go to the right person.

The REW (red eyed white) variety is a known variety in many breeds, including rex and mini-rex. Because you got two REW just means that there is a REW in the recent background of the parents. I don't think there are any special precautions that need to be taken just because they're REW.

Technically REWs are genetically albino. While in many species and albino animal may be weaker it is not so with domestic rabbits. Thanks to selective breeding of albino rabbits REWs are just as hardy as your average rabbit, however they tend to be more prone to sore hocks.

Thanks. They're three weeks old now and the two albino ones actually seem to be doing the best, they have such a great personality and are by far the biggest!!

Technically REWs are genetically albino. While in many species and albino animal may be weaker it is not so with domestic rabbits. Thanks to selective breeding of albino rabbits REWs are just as hardy as your average rabbit, however they tend to be more prone to sore hocks.

I hadn't heard that before, about REWs and sore hocks. I thought it was more due to genetics or weight. We've had both Cals and Himilayans and didn't notice this as really being an issue, or the Polish I had.

Last edited:
I hadn't heard that before, about REWs and sore hocks. I thought it was more due to genetics or weight. We've had both Cals and Himilayans and didn't notice this as really being an issue, or the Polish I had.

I noticed it mostly with mini rex rabbits, as for californias and himilayans aren't their legs black on the pads of their feet?

We did notice it with a Californian. Shoot even my tans had an issues once in a while (remember Chevy mom). Any rabbit can get sore hocks. Larger rabbits like Belgian hares and cals can be genetically predisposed to it. But you can genetically select against it (that's what kathy did with the buck we borrowed for FFA).

Mini rex are known for it too but good breeders have tried to select against it so I don't think it's as much of an issues anymore. They are just known for it because of the lack of furring on their feet and pressure points

Last edited:
REW rabbits are NOT prone to more sore hocks than others. That's genetics pure and simple

the only different I have ever seen in REW rabbits is some of them do this scan thing. in some in vary noticeable, others just slightly, most don't do it at all.

Latest posts

Back