Ahhh

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

:))

Reaction score
i bought a male and female rabbit that I was told were both females they were housed together for awhile...well she’s about 13 weeks old and I know that that is young for pregnancy but she has,been aggressive,eaten an unusual amount,heavier abdomen and starts to cry when the male comes near her could she be pregnant ?

Last edited:
It's possible. First things first, you NEED to separate them ASAP. He will stress her out, continue to try to mate, may kill the babies if they're born while he's around and WILL get her pregnant again immediately after she gives birth.

If you don't want a litter, you can speak with your vet about getting an "emergency spay" (really just a regular spay with the knowledge that it's going to terminate the pregnancy when the uterus is removed). Honestly, I strongly urge you to consider this option based on her extremely young age. The odds of kits getting stuck, stillbirths or other complications, etc. are much higher in such a young doe, not to mention how brutal pregnancy and nursing can be when she's at an age where she's still growing very quickly herself.

If you wish to see things through and let her have the litter if she is, indeed, pregnant, then I recommend making a new post in the Rabbitry and Show Room section of the forums with a more descriptive title (such as "accidental pregnancy, need advice"). That's where most of the professional breeders on RO hang out and they can give you excellent advice about how to get ready for kits and things you need to watch out for, etc.

It's possible. First things first, you NEED to separate them ASAP. He will stress her out, continue to try to mate, may kill the babies if they're born while he's around and WILL get her pregnant again immediately after she gives birth.

If you don't want a litter, you can speak with your vet about getting an "emergency spay" (really just a regular spay with the knowledge that it's going to terminate the pregnancy when the uterus is removed). Honestly, I strongly urge you to consider this option based on her extremely young age. The odds of kits getting stuck, stillbirths or other complications, etc. are much higher in such a young doe, not to mention how brutal pregnancy and nursing can be when she's at an age where she's still growing very quickly herself.

If you wish to see things through and let her have the litter if she is, indeed, pregnant, then I recommend making a new post in the Rabbitry and Show Room section of the forums with a more descriptive title (such as "accidental pregnancy, need advice"). That's where most of the professional breeders on RO hang out and they can give you excellent advice about how to get ready for kits and things you need to watch out for, etc.

Thank you so much the only thing that makes me feel better about this whole thing is how large she is..bone wise she’s got large hips and is heavier on the bottom. i am separating them today :)) thanks again

What breed she is, is the male larger or smaller breed than she? It will be easier for her if he's smaller because of the kits won't be too big, well she's still growing so not her full size anyway. Hopefully she'll be alright :)

By the sound of it, I'm guessing you plan to let her have the litter? If so, it's especially important given her age that she have an ideal diet while pregnant. She can have unlimited pellets and alfalfa hay, which has more calcium and protein than grass hay. If she is currently eating grass hay, though, you'll want to gradually introduce the alfalfa over the course of a few days.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I strongly recommend making a new thread in the rabbitry and showroom section - experienced breeders will have the best advice on diet and other things for a young pregnant doe.

Keep us updated, and of course we'll want pictures of the kits.

What breed she is, is the male larger or smaller breed than she? It will be easier for her if he's smaller because of the kits won't be too big, well she's still growing so not her full size anyway. Hopefully she'll be alright :)

Her full breed is unknown though I do know she’s mixed with Dutch..he is a Dutch with very teeny tiny parents

By the sound of it, I'm guessing you plan to let her have the litter? If so, it's especially important given her age that she have an ideal diet while pregnant. She can have unlimited pellets and alfalfa hay, which has more calcium and protein than grass hay. If she is currently eating grass hay, though, you'll want to gradually introduce the alfalfa over the course of a few days.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I strongly recommend making a new thread in the rabbitry and showroom section - experienced breeders will have the best advice on diet and other things for a young pregnant doe.

Keep us updated, and of course we'll want pictures of the kits.

Thank you so much..I have been mixing alfalfa blocks with her Timothy hay I’ll make sure to switch her to full Alfalfa soon..I made the post and I asked my breeder her specific age she is 17 weeks aparantly I was told she was around 5 weeks when I got her I guess not...anyway according to when she started to become moody I’m guessing she’s on day 23-24 will her conceiving at 14 weeks be any different? Is it atleast a little safer :(?

Well, I'm glad the breeder didn't sell her at 5 weeks! They can be weaned as young as 5-6 weeks if it's a big litter but shouldn't go to new homes until 7-8 weeks (below 8 weeks is actually illegal in many areas).

While the chance of complications is certainly higher, given her age, my concern was more for how hard it will be on her body. She will most likely be fine, though again, you may be in for some heartbreak in regards to the kits as the success rate for first litters isn't great with rabbits (especially with young moms) - stillborn kits or kits dying/being rejected is a distinct possibility. For mom, just feed her very well and try to keep her stress levels down. Rabbits have conceived as early as 12 weeks and had a successful litter. It's far from ideal, but it's doable.

Since you're not sure exactly where she is in the pregnancy, you should get some sort of nest box ready sooner rather than later. Most first time moms do NOT use the nest box, so when it's almost time for her to kindle, you need to check on her a few times a day at least to see if any kits have been born yet. If she doesn't give birth in the nest box, line it with a good amount of hay and then gently transfer both her nest (with her fur and such) and the kits into the nest box and then show her where they are.

Thank you so much..I have been mixing alfalfa blocks with her Timothy hay I’ll make sure to switch her to full Alfalfa soon..I made the post and I asked my breeder her specific age she is 17 weeks aparantly I was told she was around 5 weeks when I got her I guess not...anyway according to when she started to become moody I’m guessing she’s on day 23-24 will her conceiving at 14 weeks be any different? Is it atleast a little safer :(?
Just don't panic she'll be fine, 17 weeks it's more than four months old, and as I understand the male is some smaller breed that's good too. There's no need to worry she'll do everything just watch her and she will know. If today is day 24 get the nest box ready for her she can kindle on day 28 as well, officially they kindle on day 31 but be prepared. line the nest box with shredded paper and soft long hay on top and make a hole with your hand I am pretty sure she will understand and will start pulling fur. Even first time moms making beautiful nests they know how to, if she's not pulling fur just leave her alone she will when time comes, also you can help her a little bit take a little fur from her belly so kits can reach her nipples. Some rabbits starting nesting early even 10 days before some just the same day just keep an eye on her you will see when she's ready. It's all not that painful and not that long as woman's pregnancy can take 20 mins or less, especially if father not larger than she is she'll be fine.

There's nothing to worry about if there's any complication after just ask here and you'll get advice but as i said giving birth is natural for rabbits and she will know how and she doesn't need and doesn't want you to supervise her so better watch her from a distance and make a quiet sheltered corner for her, where she can do it alone, and the other rabbit if you can move him somewhere she can't see him would be better just less stress for her.

For food I don't know just give her usual hay and vegs and unlimited pellets and plenty of water she will drink a lot, give her an extra bottle or a bowl too maybe she wants to use bowl better. After kindling you can give her some oats to make sure she has enough milk. She will only feed kits once a day for 5 mins that will be enough, but some rabbits do a few times it depends.

Keep us updated and post some pics we love them :)

If she's day 24 you can probably feel her kits moving in her belly just put your hand there and you will feel the movements, it's very exciting :)

Tell her she's a good girl and she'll have beautiful kits, let her feel you love her, take her on your lap more often and make her feel nice and loved.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Well, I'm glad the breeder didn't sell her at 5 weeks! They can be weaned as young as 5-6 weeks if it's a big litter but shouldn't go to new homes until 7-8 weeks (below 8 weeks is actually illegal in many areas).

While the chance of complications is certainly higher, given her age, my concern was more for how hard it will be on her body. She will most likely be fine, though again, you may be in for some heartbreak in regards to the kits as the success rate for first litters isn't great with rabbits (especially with young moms) - stillborn kits or kits dying/being rejected is a distinct possibility. For mom, just feed her very well and try to keep her stress levels down. Rabbits have conceived as early as 12 weeks and had a successful litter. It's far from ideal, but it's doable.

Since you're not sure exactly where she is in the pregnancy, you should get some sort of nest box ready sooner rather than later. Most first time moms do NOT use the nest box, so when it's almost time for her to kindle, you need to check on her a few times a day at least to see if any kits have been born yet. If she doesn't give birth in the nest box, line it with a good amount of hay and then gently transfer both her nest (with her fur and such) and the kits into the nest box and then show her where they are.

For the last two days she’s had a nestbox provided she hasn’t used the bathroom in it to my suprise...my rabbit has a strange personality and has never really clicked with me like my other rabbit that I got at the same time (the male)...so if I count her litter and check if they are getting fed will she eat them or stop feeding...I know I can put vanilla on her nose but I’m worried not being able to smell anything will make her more nervous..?

Just don't panic she'll be fine, 17 weeks it's more than four months old, and as I understand the male is some smaller breed that's good too. There's no need to worry she'll do everything just watch her and she will know. If today is day 24 get the nest box ready for her she can kindle on day 28 as well, officially they kindle on day 31 but be prepared. line the nest box with shredded paper and soft long hay on top and make a hole with your hand I am pretty sure she will understand and will start pulling fur. Even first time moms making beautiful nests they know how to, if she's not pulling fur just leave her alone she will when time comes, also you can help her a little bit take a little fur from her belly so kits can reach her nipples. Some rabbits starting nesting early even 10 days before some just the same day just keep an eye on her you will see when she's ready. It's all not that painful and not that long as woman's pregnancy can take 20 mins or less, especially if father not larger than she is she'll be fine.

There's nothing to worry about if there's any complication after just ask here and you'll get advice but as i said giving birth is natural for rabbits and she will know how and she doesn't need and doesn't want you to supervise her so better watch her from a distance and make a quiet sheltered corner for her, where she can do it alone, and the other rabbit if you can move him somewhere she can't see him would be better just less stress for her.

For food I don't know just give her usual hay and vegs and unlimited pellets and plenty of water she will drink a lot, give her an extra bottle or a bowl too maybe she wants to use bowl better. After kindling you can give her some oats to make sure she has enough milk. She will only feed kits once a day for 5 mins that will be enough, but some rabbits do a few times it depends.

Keep us updated and post some pics we love them :)

If she's day 24 you can probably feel her kits moving in her belly just put your hand there and you will feel the movements, it's very exciting :)

Tell her she's a good girl and she'll have beautiful kits, let her feel you love her, take her on your lap more often and make her feel nice and loved.

Good luck!

I feel much better I’ll follow all this advice thank you so much...:p

If she is fine with you, then you should have no issues touching them. If she gets a little upset that you are messing with them just give her, her favorite treat. You can touch the babies as much as you want she will not eat them or stop feeding because of it. So, don't worry about the vanilla, that is only used when fostering one baby to another mom.

You better don't give her nest box too early just on day 28 or if you see she's collecting hay in her mouth or pulling fur or looking nervous, but if she's not using it for toilet that's good.

Honestly, there's no need to count her litter immediately, what's the point? Trust her and give her some space, she'll do everything she knows how. The only why you want to check her box is to see if kits are all alive and fed, you can do it next day even if they look wrinkled it's okay they can survive and she will feed them eventually, less you interfere is better. She has natural instincts and will feed them, just try to talk nicely to her so she can feel your support, maybe she will come to you after and will want you to pet her, tell her she's doing great, she's a good girl, her kits are beautiful, smile to her, she will feel it.

She shouldn't abandon her kits just because you touched them, she knows your smell etc, maybe you want to take her box and check somewhere when she can't see depending on the rabbit, maybe she can get nervous, but if you are worried about your smell use vinyl gloves or you don't even need to take her kits out the nest, use some pencil to make a hole in fur to see them if they are all moving or if there are some dead you will want to remove them.

Really, I mean what I say, trust her and she'll be fine. I think you're more nervous than she is :)

Post some pics of her nest and her we love pics and can comment more :)

Rabbits don't abandon because their kits have been touched by a human, even in the wild. Don't put vanilla on her nose. Also, I forgot to mention that they only feed them 1-2 times a day and only nurse for a few minutes - if everything is going right, it'll look like she's ignoring them. All you should need to do is make sure they're in the nest box. Once they're in there, you can just check on them maybe once a day to make sure they're being fed (give her some time before you actually start to worry if it looks like they aren't).

You DO need to check the litter not long after birth, because if there are any dead kits then they need to be removed as soon as possible or they could chill the live remaining kits, which is not a good thing to happen. Do not use a pencil to check them or you risk injuring a kit with it. And no, if they are wrinkled it doesn't mean they will survive or that she will feed them eventually. It means they are becoming dehydrated and that if the mom doesn't feed them soon, then immediate intervention on your part may be necessary or they could die. Young first time moms can sometimes be good moms, or they can be totally clueless and if the babies are to survive you need to be there to help that happen.

The link I've provided gives info on what to expect and what needs to be done for the mom and an accidental litter.
https://flashsplace.webs.com/accidentallitters.htm

You DO need to check the litter not long after birth, because if there are any dead kits then they need to be removed as soon as possible or they could chill the live remaining kits, which is not a good thing to happen. Do not use a pencil to check them or you risk injuring a kit with it. And no, if they are wrinkled it doesn't mean they will survive or that she will feed them eventually. It means they are becoming dehydrated and that if the mom doesn't feed them soon, then immediate intervention on your part may be necessary or they could die. Young first time moms can sometimes be good moms, or they can be totally clueless and if the babies are to survive you need to be there to help that happen.

The link I've provided gives info on what to expect and what needs to be done for the mom and an accidental litter.
https://flashsplace.webs.com/accidentallitters.htm
I guess you're right you've got a lot more experience than I :) I didn't mean any sharp pencil and touching kits with it, but just to make a little window in the fur with a blunt end very carefully just to see if there is movement inside and you can see if there anything wrong. I was very lucky so far no dead babies but I understand that it could happen and also some mothers are nice and some can get stressed and act weird but I'd say there's no point to start panicking before the problem arises we'll wait to day 28, then to day 31 sometimes longer and will see :)) will tell us what situation and we'll discuss then. I think it is important to stay calm in any difficult situation as panic never helps that's what my grandpa told me and he was right many times!

Reactions: :))
If she is fine with you, then you should have no issues touching them. If she gets a little upset that you are messing with them just give her, her favorite treat. You can touch the babies as much as you want she will not eat them or stop feeding because of it. So, don't worry about the vanilla, that is only used when fostering one baby to another mom.

Whew! Thank you

Rabbits don't abandon because their kits have been touched by a human, even in the wild. Don't put vanilla on her nose. Also, I forgot to mention that they only feed them 1-2 times a day and only nurse for a few minutes - if everything is going right, it'll look like she's ignoring them. All you should need to do is make sure they're in the nest box. Once they're in there, you can just check on them maybe once a day to make sure they're being fed (give her some time before you actually start to worry if it looks like they aren't).

Okay thank you so much

Latest posts

Back