Ahh, winter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gentle giants

Reaction score
So if you watch the news you probably know that there is a huge ice/snow storm going on over here in Illinois. The predictions were for an inch of ice and 12+ of snow on top of that. Well, so far in my neck of the woods we have gotten close to 2" of ice, and some of this sort of white frozen sand type stuff that isn't really either snow, sleet or ice. Annnd let's not forget the WIND that is starting in now. Broken trees, anyone? I did at least get out and take some pics when I was doing the feeding this morning. I don't think they really do the scene justice, but here they are anyway:

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y182/cuterchick/Ice%20Storm%202011/?albumview=slideshow

We're expecting an ice storm here in Ithaca as well, after our heavy snow tonight.
Remind me why I left CA...

[align=center]Yeah, we're getting it bad here in Michigan too.

My school hardly ever closes for snow- it always waits until the LAST minute, and it was closed at 5:50 PM today. That's really saying something XD

We're supposed to get like a foot of snow, with 40 mph wind, it's crazy!

Cornell closed from 2 am until 10:30 am which means classes are delayed until 11:15.
Cornell has a reputation for never closing, even when everything for miles around is, so there was much rejoicing.
I've also been invited to a school-wide snowball fight on the Arts quad at lunch time.

I have 4 ft drifts at my back door. Kids had to go out the front and walk around to get out and shovel. I have a car in my yard that does not belong to me. It was a very wild night with 60mph wind gusts and a heckuva lot of snow. And now they are saying the temps are dropping to below zero...without windchills.

Well, think of it this way, at least it is officially Spring! Even if the weather hasn't turned around yet :)

Some roofs collapsed from the weight of the snow that we were getting.

http://www.630ched.com/Channels/Reg/NewsLocal/Story.aspx?ID=1352734

Last week (Jan 25), it rained mid morning. :shock: The ground instantly turned to ice. In the 90 minutes of mayhem, there was a record of car accidents, and 143 people went to the emergency hospitalbecause they slipped and fell. My father was one of the people who slipped and hit the back of his head. He remains in hospital. He is getting better now, but not sure when the doctor will release him.

I did that at work several weeks ago. Fell on the ice and smacked the back of my head on the concrete....ended up with a bruised brain.

Ouch! It snowed maybe 2 inches while we were in the hockey game tonight. No one was on campus salting or plowing so we all basically ice skated our way home to avoid falling. Today we had snow, hail, freezing rain, sleet and rain (that weather pattern we affectionately refer to as "Ithacating" - all in the span of about 2 hours - then more snow later.

We just got about eight more inches of snow today. According to weather.com, there is a possibility of "few snow showers" and "flurries" tomorrow and Monday too, which scares me because this eight inches today was only supposed to be a "few showers" also. This is the worst winter I can remember as far as precipitation anyway.

Will this winter ever end???? :tantrum::banghead:pullhair: Not that I am frustrated or anything.......

Oh no!

We ended up getting a few inches last night. I don't think our street got plowed before I went to bed. It's steep, narrow, and mostly one-way. I repayed my karma debt from when a stranger helped me push my car out of my driveway when two of my friends and I piled outside to help push a mini-van that was stuck sideways on our street. There was a whole family just sort of standing around looking at it like, "well now what?" and they were all wearing shoes with basically no traction.
Having a car is nice here when I want to say get groceries or drive to PE, but I'm also lucky in that if the weather is bad I can just say nope, I'm walking/ taking the bus instead of worrying about whether or not I'll successfully make it in my car.

Yeah, we don't have the walking option here, we are five miles from town. I am supposed to be milking my friend's goats right now while she is out of town, so I am really hoping my van can get out. Pray for me not to get stuck everybody, please?

Latest posts

Back