Aggressive/Unfriendly Rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribble

Reaction score
About a year ago I ended up taking over a pair of my sisters rabbits because she wasn't taking care of them. These two were about 7months old when I got them and a bonded pair. I high doubt they were spayed because they were pet store rabbits*. I've been making attempts to "gentle" these rabbits for a while now, ever since my sibling got them but I haven't made too much progress.

While they do come up to the door when you open it now, they still want nothing to do with you touching them or making any advances. I've tried a couple months of just sitting in the pen with them but the only time they came near was if one was chased off at some point. I've been wanting to separate them for a while to see if they'd make any improvement if they were individuals but I haven't had the time/resources for that yet.

One rabbit lived in my room for a week or two because I was under the assumption she was pregnant (it was false) and she wasn't bad then but she managed to run from me every time I went to do something. I can't pick her up to move her anywhere (she uses her back legs for leverage and I end up with some nasty scratches) so I used a cat carrier to transport her. She's pretty timid

The other rabbit was extremely aggressive when we first got her, and still can be. She would box and thump and lunge everytime you even thought about putting your hand in that hutch. She was also extremely vocal with growling and such. I've yet to make as much progress with her.

Like I said before, they're housed outside because they're too big to keep long-term in my room and because my sister had already had a nice cage built.

Any tips on continuing gentling these rabbits? Something I'm doing wrong? They get as much attention as they'll allow at least once a day when I go to feed, twice if it's not too dark by the time I make it out there. I make sure to hand feed them their veggies and treats when they get them to make myself seem more appealing if you will. I've sat in the pen with them while they played in the grass, and the one lived in my room for a short time. Not sure where else to go from here. I don't want to get them spayed, at least not the timid one. Not only is it crazy expensive around here but I'd think she'd be beautiful breeding stock to start my rabbitry. (will upload pics if ya'll want). But if aggression is hereditary I would definitely spay her.

I've had great luck bonding with indoor rabbits, especially the ones I've gotten as babies. But this is a whole new level for me.

*We did not purchase these rabbits from the pet store. Someone else did and when they didn't want them anymore (they were in a hutch at the very back of their yard behind a shed, so not much interaction) we took them on. They've got a nice big hutch with ground access now. I personally would never purchase an animal from the pet store, too many "mills"

Defining terminology is important. Your one doe is not being aggressive...she is being territorial. She is protecting her space. Neutering may or may not tone that down. What she needs to learn is that her space IS your space as well. Sometimes breeding such does once calms them down. Pregnancy hormones can help them chill out and often that chilling out will last. If they are both unneutered, and since you know that one is dominant...you need to monitor that other rabbit closely for damage down by the territorial one. This (in my vast experience rescuing rabbits) is often overlooked. You need to examine her closely for what will fill like mild bumps on her back, small nips on her backside, thinness, fur loss (or chewed shorter) and staying in her own area of the habitat. This isn't always the case, but frequently is. Often if you separate them the dominate one will sulk for a few days whereas the timid one will relax and over a couple of weeks come more into her true personality.

if you are looking for a cuddly put me in your lap animal some rabbits will do that, others are more hard-wired to the survival end of the scale. Keep my feet on the ground, be ready to escape at any moment. You can't change that. You can teach around it. For instance, when you pick them up, be prepared for struggling, and do a scoop (around the belly or grab the haunches) and place immediately into a solid bottom container for THEIR security and piece of mind). OR you can do a football hold (with their head tucked into your side). Some rabbits can be trained to hop onto a blanket and then be picked up using the blanket.

Take your time. Buns aren't changed overnight, particularly the hard-wired ones.

Defining terminology is important. Your one doe is not being aggressive...she is being territorial. She is protecting her space. Neutering may or may not tone that down. What she needs to learn is that her space IS your space as well. Sometimes breeding such does once calms them down. Pregnancy hormones can help them chill out and often that chilling out will last. If they are both unneutered, and since you know that one is dominant...you need to monitor that other rabbit closely for damage down by the territorial one. This (in my vast experience rescuing rabbits) is often overlooked. You need to examine her closely for what will fill like mild bumps on her back, small nips on her backside, thinness, fur loss (or chewed shorter) and staying in her own area of the habitat. This isn't always the case, but frequently is. Often if you separate them the dominate one will sulk for a few days whereas the timid one will relax and over a couple of weeks come more into her true personality.

if you are looking for a cuddly put me in your lap animal some rabbits will do that, others are more hard-wired to the survival end of the scale. Keep my feet on the ground, be ready to escape at any moment. You can't change that. You can teach around it. For instance, when you pick them up, be prepared for struggling, and do a scoop (around the belly or grab the haunches) and place immediately into a solid bottom container for THEIR security and piece of mind). OR you can do a football hold (with their head tucked into your side). Some rabbits can be trained to hop onto a blanket and then be picked up using the blanket.

Take your time. Buns aren't changed overnight, particularly the hard-wired ones.

She doesn't just act "aggressive" in her own cage, she does it just about everywhere you take her. And it sounds odd but the Timid one is actually the dominant of the two rabbits. She's pulled a chunk of hair/skin off the other one before (has not happened again). I do plan to breed the timid one at some point, but if it even might help mellow her out without paying a few hundred $$$ I'll probably do it.

Not really looking for a lap rabbit, but just one you can safely interact with, moreso for my sibling. .

If you know the one has done damage to the other why do you keep them together? You know rabbits can kill each other right? When you breed rabbits only breed what you are looking To have. If you want a nice secure easy to handle rabbit breed for it.

If you know the one has done damage to the other why do you keep them together? You know rabbits can kill each other right? When you breed rabbits only breed what you are looking To have. If you want a nice secure easy to handle rabbit breed for it.
Yes I realize that they can and they will kill each other. I keep them together because they are officially a bonded pair and have not fought since that one scuffle. They can have arguments just like people and be fine after.

With them living outdoors away from people most of the time, it's going to be difficult to make much headway with them. It's time spent with them in a smaller area where they can't run off and hide from you, is what is going to make the difference in them learning they can trust you. Kind of the same concept that is used for bonding rabbits together, can also help them learn to bond with you in a way.

Maybe spending time in their run with them and blocking off access to their hutch(if they won't attack you) so they can't just run and hide from you, though moving them in a carrier to a separate pen would be much better as you would be removing them from their territory(which is something they may feel the need to defend). They should be less territorial in a neutral space that they don't consider theirs. Though it may make them more nervous so you will still need to be cautious of any possibility of aggression. I would completely avoid picking them up if at all possible as it will affect their ability to trust you. Which means you'll have to have someone else do the necessary things that require picking up, like nail trims. These two links have some good tips on bonding with rabbits and working out behavioral issues.
http://flashsplace.webs.com/bondingwithyourbunny.htm
https://www.petcha.com/how-to-establish-boundaries-to-improve-rabbit-behavior/

Might also be good to read up on how rabbits communicate.
http://language.rabbitspeak.com/

With two rabbits that haven't been socialized well with people, it is going to be a lot of consistent effort to help them come around.

Last edited:
With them living outdoors away from people most of the time, it's going to be difficult to make much headway with them. It's time spent with them in a smaller area where they can't run off and hide from you, is what is going to make the difference in them learning they can trust you. Kind of the same concept that is used for bonding rabbits together, can also help them learn to bond with you in a way.

Maybe spending time in their run with them and blocking off access to their hutch(if they won't attack you) so they can't just run and hide from you, though moving them in a carrier to a separate pen would be much better as you would be removing them from their territory(which is something they may feel the need to defend). They should be less territorial in a neutral space that they don't consider theirs. Though it may make them more nervous so you will still need to be cautious of any possibility of aggression. I would completely avoid picking them up if at all possible as it will affect their ability to trust you. Which means you'll have to have someone else do the necessary things that require picking up, like nail trims. These two links have some good tips on bonding with rabbits and working out behavioral issues.
http://flashsplace.webs.com/bondingwithyourbunny.htm
https://www.petcha.com/how-to-establish-boundaries-to-improve-rabbit-behavior/

Might also be good to read up on how rabbits communicate.
http://language.rabbitspeak.com/

With two rabbits that haven't been socialized well with people, it is going to be a lot of consistent effort to help them come around.
Thank you! The timid one is inside right now, she ended up having a litter shortly after my first one haha. Should help with "gentling"

Latest posts

Back