Aggressive rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've had Angel for 8 months and she got spayed at 5 months old, somehow she got more aggressive. She was not like that before her spay,
She growls a lot when I try to pet her or get into her personal space, and especially when I touch her food.
About 2 weeks ago she bit me for the first time when I was trying to feed her treats.
She is not scared of me though, because she often hop on my bed and sit with me.

What can I do to make her more friendly?

Hmm... usually that sort of behavior is caused by hormones, but 3 months post-spay that's clearly not the case. Did it start right after the spay or was there a delay before it started? Rabbits can hold a grudge, so if something she found to be traumatic happened on spay day, perhaps she blames you for it because you took her to the vet for the procedure.

One thing that may need to be ruled out is a medical issue. If she has pain somewhere, it could cause her to lash out. Has she had a regular vet check-up since the aggression started? Food-specific aggression strikes me as less likely to be caused by something medical but it's still a possibility. Any changes in appetite, activity level, mannerisms/movement/gait? Are there any spots where she's particularly reluctant to be touched? Sometimes the hints they give about pain can be incredibly subtle because they're hard-wired to hide weakness. For example, my Nala is at the vet having her teeth trimmed today because of spurs on her molars. Normally, if she's in the front part of her cage and you approach/open the door, she'll sit there and wait for you to pick her up (or even run up to you for attention), but in the 2-3 days leading up to a sudden decrease in appetite (which prompted a vet visit last Friday), my husband and I both noticed that she started running to the back corner of the condo where she knows it's very difficult for us to reach her. Something was definitely off/bothering her but we couldn't put our finger on what until she suddenly refused to chew her precious pellets.

Beyond that, I'm not really sure what could be causing the behavior. She's transitioned from juvenile to adult now and should be settling into her "adult" personality but for said personality to take a sudden aggressive turn is very unusual, making me think there was something specific that triggered the change. Thinking back to exactly when it started and what sort of things were going on in her world around that time may help.

It sounds like she might be a bit territorial. Rabbits can still be territorial after they're spayed/neutered - that doesn't magically fix all temperament problems. In fact, most of the spayed rabbits I've met have some level of territorial-ness. If I were you I would avoid getting in 'her space' as much as possible. If you remove your hand after she growls and tries to scare you off, she thinks she was successful in 'defending' her territory and might continue the behavior - especially if you were feeding her, and then she was rewarded for her actions both by the hand going away and having food now. It might be better to only interact with her on her terms - when she is outside of her cage, or on your bed, or such. I go so far as to add feeders and water bottles that I can fill from the outside on territorial rabbits, so I can give them treats and food without provoking aggression, so they can start to unlearn the behavior that is 'I attack hand thats feeding me - and so it leaves and I get food'

Latest posts

Back