Aggressive rabbit :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katmais_mommy

Reaction score
My girl, Kodiak, has become a terror. She has horrible food aggression. I dread feeding her every day because she always lunges at me.

Sometimes, when I try to pet her, she turns around really quickly and tries to bite me.

She's not fixed and I don't have the finances to get the operation done right now.

Does anyone have any explanation or advice about this?

I also need to solve this problem before I go on vacation for 10 days because I'm having someone feed the rabbits while I'm away but I dont want Kody to attack.

The most likely explanation is hormones. I saw it all the time when I was volunteering at a local rabbit rescue. People would surrender female rabbits that hit puberty and had become nasty, when all they needed was a spay, which usually took care of the problem. In rare cases the problem remained. Also, even after spaying the behavior does not instantly go away, it takes time for the hormones to leave the system and for the female to calm down.

So, whether it be hormone related or behavioral, there is no quick fix even if you got her spayed today.

I have a grumpy Netherland Dwarf that growls constantly and sometimes lunges. Neutering him didn't help and I've had to accept the fact he is a grumpy little man. I find it helps if I remind myself he is bunny, not a tiger, so even if I get bit it is a very temporary pain and far from my heart, lol. They can intimidate the heck outta ya, even my grumpy boy at a whopping 2 lbs. Try not to let it though.

My doe Jelly did this for a long time. Her whole 7 years actually. HOw old is Kody? Jelly especially did it for her first year or so and then got *somewhat* better. Be consistant with the time and amount of time you spend with her. Do the same thing taking ehr out and get her to TRUST you.
My family didn't want to get my rabbit fixed, so we didn't. Everyone told me to just tell her a firm NO when she'd try her antics on me. Biting through my fingernail as the last straw and I knocker her on the head. ( Not too hard, but let her know that was not acceptable. ) She never really bit again. Also though, she got attatched and learned to trust me. When your friend watches Kody, warm them, and maybe they can try gloves. That's waht my neighbor learned to do. Also, I learned to keep my hand on her forhead everytime I put my hand in her cage. Overtime, she learned not to hurt me. She's occationally growl, but as she grew to love and trust me, and know what to expect each day, she got better. And I grew to trust her as well.

Here is a great tip that helped me!! When you get bit or hurt by the rabbit simply make a squek! (Srry bout my spelling) rabbits squek when they are hurt or injured so by squeking when she bites she'll know that it hurts and hopefully won't do it again. This worked with my old rabbit that I had a few years ago. It only took about a week for him to learn that it hurts and he stopped. None of my rabbits bit me since! (; hope this is helpful!

-Ashley
p.s. I would get her spayed! That's probly the reason she's biting! Mine wast neutered but I had it since a baby. :) good luck with ur bun!

Latest posts

Back