Aggressive does

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SouthernNetherlandDwarf

Reaction score
Ok I just got taught how to sex rabbits and I'm happy to say I got the sex of my two buns right as that thyre both does. I was a serif all the times I've let them out to meet each other is that why my eight month old doe is aggressive toward the two year old doe? Both are unspayed as my family really doesn't see why spaying them when wild rabbits don't get spayed or neutered. Is that why one is aggressive towards the other because it's another female?

Hormones and the fact that does seem to be naturally moody. Also some rabbits naturally will like each other, and others will immediately decide they don't like each other, just has to do with certain personalities.

Spaying doesn't necessarily get rid of the moodiness completely, but it usually does calm it down quite a bit, making bonding that much more possible. Not spaying them and attempting bonding, you have their natural territorialness along with all of these hormones also getting in the way, which can sometimes intensify the possibility of fights breaking out(though fighting can still occur even with spaying). So if they are already showing aggression towards each other, you need to be very careful, as rabbits can cause severe injuries to each other if they are intent on doing so.
http://www.wheekwheekthump.com/2013...rs-guide-rabbit-bonding-everything-need-know/

You can't compare the living conditions of does in the wild, where they don't have to stay in close quarters and in a human household. When rabbits fight in their natural environment, the one who loses can leave. Or die. They are also more territorial in an unclosed space as they don't have the possibility to get another territory than the one that is given to them.
If you have the time you can read "The Private life of the rabbit", who relates the experiment conducted by a madman who bought an island to observe rabbits he put there. Let me tell you there were fights. It was bloody and there were deaths. Lots of them.
Outside from that, spaying will avoid your rabbits dying from cancers in 2 or 3 years. Of course, rabbits in the wild don't have the time to develop cancer as they seldom reach 18 months of life (they don't get shots against myxomatose or VHD either, or a lot of food during the winter).

Ok thanks, yeah I'll keep the two separated as my doe is more of the aggressor but sweet towards me. I'll keep their behavior in mind if I ever decide to get them bond mates.

Latest posts

Back