Aggressive digging bun :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Effloresco

Reaction score
I got a new rabbit a week ago, and I know that's obviously not a long time to get to know her and she's still new to everything, but for 99% of the time, she's the sweetest creature.
She settled in super quick and was binkying around the kitchen and climbing onto my lap for head pets (which she adores).
Yesterday and today however she's bitten me and left really deep bleeding gashes. The second day she arrived, she started digging at a particular corner of skirting, so to encourage her to dig something less destructive I gave her a pile of shredded paper in that area. I attempted to put her away at night when she was digging this which is when she bit. She didn't give me any warning, unlike my previous buns and current bun who gives me a warning nip and growl to back off if I do something they really don't like. I went to try to put her back again and she bit me a second time, this time even deeper! Now everytime I go close to her digging spot she lunges and bites. I've had multiple rabbits, but this one is the fastest flipping bun I've dealt with, it almost seem to comes out of nowhere. :(
Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I want to get her out of biting as soon as possible :(

What is her age and is she spayed?

Immediately after she bites, use your hand to firmly push her head down to the floor and hold it for several seconds. That is how a momma bunny disciplines her young. That may help.

Also, it isn't advised to pick up a rabbit to put them back in the cage. Better to coax them in or fool them into thinking they are deciding to go back. This explains more.
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-with-your-bunny.html
Just scroll down a bit on that page.

The thing is I wasn't actually picking her up, I tried to usher her into the cage which is when she bit. Maybe I should hsve been more careful but she was happy to be pet and touched every other time :( She's only 5 months and got spayed 2 weeks ago, so maybe it's hormonal and she's just being stroppy?
Thank you so much for the link and the advice, I will try to see if that works, her lunging is a bit scary though ahaha!

If it's not just hormones, I wonder if there isn't something about that spot that has her agitated. Maybe a scent(or even animal scent), that is disturbing her. I would try cleaning the area with vinegar and maybe even a sanitizing cleaner(thoroughly rinse), then I would also try either blocking the area with something so she can't access it, or maybe try putting a dig box there to divert her attention(see what works).

Or it could just be hormonal behavior and she is just having a strong instinct to burrow and that is making her agitated. If so then the spay will likely help.

Thanks JBun! I am planning on cleaning the area, I've now put some cardboard down to block it off a little and so far the change in scenery seems to have helped. She might just really like digging, as she's trashed her bed and litter by digging everything and anything out of them. It was just such a shame that she got so aggressive out of nowhere as she has been settling in so well otherwise. She was a rescue bunny too, so I'm not sure if she's got any past trauma, I know she can't be picked up or held because she finds it very traumatic, and she's also very very thin and has hardly any meat on her :/

My nineteen month old, spayed female is a digger and chewer. She's also a rescue and came out of a filthy rabbit hoarding situation when she was five months old. I've had many rabbits and have never seen anything quite like it. She's not aggressive and has never bitten me, but she has grunted when I shooed her away from digging in my carpet (almost always in a corner). I would love to have her free roam all day, but it seems she can only handle it for a couple hours before becoming destructive by trying to dig and chew at the carpet. We already have it planned that our next home will be tile and wood floor only, no carpet other than throw rugs here and there we don't mind her chewing. I coax her into her playpen when she becomes destructive where she has all kinds of books and toys to chew...yet she still insists on chewing the floor mats and I have to put wood under that!

It is thankfully on tile that she is digging, the main problem was that she dislodged the skirting and started running in the cupboards and the walls! It took quite some bribing to get her out when she first did that, and she's been trying to get back ever since. I somehow scored massively with my other rabbit, he only tends to dig at my lap and not my belongings ahaha

Latest posts

Back