Aggressive Behaviour

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alfihaer

Reaction score
Recently found out that Kupo my young rabbit is female and has been steadily showing aggressive displays with cleaning litter boxes to even trying to put her away after having a few hours outside of her pen. With growls and full claws ive had my hand bleed from a good solid kick from her a few times. The only time she hasnt shown aggressive tendency is when she is up on couches or being held close to my neck and chest. she allows being flipped over to be brushed but any time she has free roam of a place has some sort of aggressive reactions
We are having her spayed on the 16th in hopes to mellow it out but any sort of tip to help stop the aggression occurring.

Spaying should really help, so hopefully you can hold out okay until then.
You can try cleaning out her litter box etc while she is distracted elsewhere (as she is going to be territorial about it!).
And rather than having to put her away at the end of playtime, you could try to time it so she gets yummy veggies or something when she goes back into her pen, so that it almost feels like her own idea to go back home.
On a side note, you shouldn’t flip bunnies onto their backs, they are prey animals and it is very stressful for them. They don’t go into a “trance”, they physically cannot move due to tonic immobility, which is a stress response of just playing dead, as the only time they would be flipped in the wild would be when they are about to be eaten.

I sure hope that spaying will help ,It is not a exercise problem as she gets 3 hours at least out and running if not at most 6 every day other then the odd one day or two where she naps and stretches in her pen which is 4 by 4 by 2 with plenty of toys and things to climb
She gets treats readily after she is done running around current favorites that grabs her attention is bag rustling of croutons. And her play pen in living room (larger area to run in and way safer) about 20 ft away in a different room as my room holds antique furniture and she discovered it was wood . She doesnt care if i remove the litter box and clean it with her in it but as soon as it is in the hutch she turns extremely aggressive.
That is how most people tend not to do but my family train any pet to be okay on their backs for a short while , even with rabbits for most health checks to assure no poopy butt and such. for a extremely short time in order to look at toes for length of nail, underbellies and for kupo to brush knots out of her fur beneath her chin and around her tail. It is stated into handling with many treats and pets and loves. It is for only a very short amount of time to remove knots as fur beneath her chin and sides of face and under her layer of fur around her tail and will absolutely not let me brush while she is on all fours.

The aggression is only when she is running on the floor when its time to put her away even when she approaches or on her pen. And im positive it is not that she is afraid or nervous as during the times she is out she crawls all over me , binkies , nibbles on food and stretches out fully napping away. Even during carrying i receive nose boops which occurs all the time outside of her pen.

Kupo only LETS two people flip her on her back , which is me or my mother. She readily especially with a itchy spot during brushing and pets gives licks and kisses when i brush those spots out. It has taken since the day i got her back in October to receive the trust back in late november for her to allow me to flip her onto her back to brush and look at her feet. I watch for any cue of her to move and move her back to a normal position on my lap with plenty of ear rubs and chin rubs.

Latest posts

Back