Against change?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n.parker40419

Reaction score
Sooooo everytime i change my buns litter box she poos outside everywhere else in the house and her enclosure. Today i moved her spot completely around while cleaning it out and she totally completely peed ontop of her favortie cardboard box that shes had the longest In there.

Is this normal behavior to throw a tantrum basically? I clean all the pee spots with a vinegar/water mix

Have you tried to direct her towards her litter box? That’s what I did when mine didn’t wanna go to his litter box. He would refuse and refuse and I just redirected him and sat with him. Also by any chance are you feeding her too many sweets, pellets or veggies? She might be refusing to go because of that aswell. You have like the normal litter box right like you put bedding then the grass? Rabbits like to eat a poop so that might be it aswell! Has she used it before? If she poops outside maybe put in the poops in her litter box aswell just so she can smell the poop and maybe leave some soiled bedding or hay(I’m not sure if they hay will work but it’s just a suggestion) so she can smell that too and be like this smells like my pee and poop and maybe she’ll go inside.

Sooooo everytime i change my buns litter box she poos outside everywhere else in the house and her enclosure. Today i moved her spot completely around while cleaning it out and she totally completely peed ontop of her favortie cardboard box that shes had the longest In there.

Is this normal behavior to throw a tantrum basically? I clean all the pee spots with a vinegar/water mix
I’m not an expert so just know that I’m only writing what I know!

Oh 100% i appreciate advice..nope she only get 1/4cup of pellets a day her unlimited hay and food dish are right basically in her litter box. I put her in at as soon as it was clean and even put a piece of the paper towel with her pee in there once i cleaned it up. She also did manage to get into bathroom for first time an leed in there too on rug. I assume thats marking?

It does sound like she's protesting you messing with her stuff. With the litter box, maybe save a little bit of her poop and transfer it back to the cleaned out litter box. She may just not like that you're removing her established scent from her territory. While cleaning her area, it can sometimes help to keep them distracted with something, like have it be veggie feeding time. Then make sure to put everything back where she likes it.

If she isn't spayed yet, once you have that done, it many times will help alleviate some(and sometimes even all) of this marking behavior.

Yess shes only almost 4 months... i will put it alll back this morning 🤦‍♀️ was trying to give her more space! I usually clean it out while shes out and about the house but my husband gets irritated with her coco puffs 🤣🤣 but the pee marking gets me! I mean doesn't she WANT a clean litter box and yes i usually place droppings i pick up back in there for smell!

Rabbits don't care so much about clean, but about making sure 'their stuff' smells like them. It's a territory thing. Helps them feel secure. Or with really bossy females, I think it's them letting you know your place as bunny slave :p Plus hormonal female... you just can't win!

So should i NOT change as often as i do?! I change like every 3 days! Andddddd...yeaaaa... i was suppose to.get a buck, i wanted to avoid the drama, but vet said fairly certain hes a she and i love her sooooo were dealing

So should i NOT change as often as i do?! I change like every 3 days! Andddddd...yeaaaa... i was suppose to.get a buck, i wanted to avoid the drama, but vet said fairly certain hes a she and i love her sooooo were dealing
That might not be the best. When bun bun gets upset when I don’t clean it on the 3rd day after I clean it. He poops outside the box(like right beside it or in other places) All he does is go pee and poop but he’ll refuse to eat the hay. Rabbits notice when things become soiled. Did you end up getting a cage for her? I was able to litter train my bunny fully in a month by having his litter box in the cage. It was a small one that was suitable for him and he would use it like nothing but keep in mind I had him since he was a small 2 month. When I noticed he was using it I bought him a bigger one to put in the house in his corner he just knew what to do. Even after that he would sometimes refuse to use it but he uses it full time now. Bunnies are really interesting animals and something will always come up trust me lol

I haven’t had a female rabbit before because I did my research and noticed that they were dramatic and just ya know gonna take more work but it doesn’t matter because they are both cute. As a new bun mom it’ll probably be hard to deal with that but you’ll get a hold of it. Plus females are prone to getting ovarian cancer by like 75-85% if I’m right so that just scared me. That’s why you should spay them. You can spay them around 5-6 months I think. I haven’t even gotten my baby neutuered yet but I will! we’re just waiting for his 6 months maybe but we might do it when he’s 5 months two weeks.

Last edited:
That is her current setup for when shes not allowed out lol i already put it back the way it originally was though here!

Attachments

• 16232417467176428171890497486637.jpg
    16232417467176428171890497486637.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 8
Oh 100% i appreciate advice..nope she only get 1/4cup of pellets a day her unlimited hay and food dish are right basically in her litter box. I put her in at as soon as it was clean and even put a piece of the paper towel with her pee in there once i cleaned it up. She also did manage to get into bathroom for first time an leed in there too on rug. I assume thats marking?
Did she pee in the litter box when you put the towel in there with the pee? And I would assume so. My rabbit used to pee on the couch and I had to keep him more in the cage or just remove him but after a while he just didn’t do it. He just knows where he’s supposed to pee.

That is her current setup for when shes not allowed out lol i already put it back the way it originally was though here!
That is a really cute bunny! She even looks grumpy there LMAO. Have you tried looking at where she pees the most? Does she pee in another corner of the pen? If she does you might want to put it wherever she goes to pee.

Im assumin so as well , also like to mention she has a whole separate litter pan OUTSIDE her cage in our living room which is a little ways from her cage so i gave her another option

location, location... If she is using her litter box in a certain location, best to leave it there. It isn't about the box so much as about the location. You have it set back in the corner which is a good place in a rabbit's eyes.

One thing that can help with litter changes is to have a duplicate box that is not in use. Prep the duplicate box with fresh litter, scoop out a little of the used litter and put it on top of the fresh, then swap the boxes. This way it takes literally seconds to put down the new litter box. Then you can take your time to clean out the old without worrying about her being without a box for even a few minutes. The newly cleaned out box will then become the spare duplicate for the next round.

Latest posts

Back