after-spay training issues

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi! Powder got spayed a few weeks ago. I have kept her in a big play pen to recover and to get potty trained. for a couple weeks she was using those turkey roaster things as a litter box, and she was getting the hang of it. then i made a permanent litter box for her out of a bin. it has a lid on it and a large circle cut out of the front so she can get in and out. i put this bin in the same place as i had put the previous temporary litter boxes, but she is not doing too well with this one. she keeps kicking the hay and wood pellets out of her litter box instead of using it to go potty. i have no idea why she is doing this. if anyone has any ideas please let me know! thank you :)

Last edited:
The closed top litter box could feel confining like she's trapped in a tunnel, and that is why she is feeling the need to 'dig' another tunnel out of there. Plus closed top ones will not allow for good airflow and may not be good for her respiratory tract because of hay and litter dust.

You could try a different litter box set up such as an open top one like she was used to before(what I would suggest), try taking the lid off, add an exit hole so it doesn't feel so confining and will improve airflow. Another option is making a screen to cover the litter, though I would still want to improve the airflow in there.

Latest posts

Back