After a male is fixed, when is the safe time zone, to NOT get a female pregnant?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blondiesmommie

Reaction score
I got a male on the 19th, he was also fixed that same day. So it will be 3 weeks this Thursday (we are days away!) when can I put him with my female, and not worry about him getting her pregnant?! They seem to already love each other thru the cage bars, I want to start the bonding experience! :heartbeat:

I suggest 5 more weeks. It's true that a neutered male will hold sperm for a month, which can and has made a doe pregnant. But I think the extra 4 weeks will help the hormonal urge complete dissipate and the bonding between your male and female can be safer and hopefully more successful.

Glad to hear they are side by side and can see and smell each other. This is definitely the best way to start a bonding pair, IMHO. Just don't rush. Let the hormones truly fade. Wishing you all the luck. Hope this helped a bit.

K

I hope they aren't REALLY loving each other through the bars. A female rabbit CAN get pregnant that way. I think at 6 weeks it would be safe, but I'm not sure. Better to be safe than sorry.

Besides, if the female isn't spayed, bonding may be difficult if she is hormonal & thus territorial.

I've heard they can get pregnant through cage bars, but my question is this: How, when he can't actually mount her, would he impregnate her?

8 weeks is the safest length of time to wait after neutering. I do know a Doe that got pregnant 7 weeks after a neutered buck was put with her.

wendymac wrote:
I've heard they can get pregnant through cage bars, but my question is this: How, when he can't actually mount her, would he impregnate her?

She has to be willing, but if she's up against the bars & his penis can reach through then it can be done.

Latest posts

Back