Advise please - rebounding male litter mates

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Claire3688

Reaction score
Hi

I have two litter mates, both males who have been together since birth, I adopted them when they were 9 weeks old and they were the love of each other’s lives ... they were completely inseparable!

Fast forward to them being 4.5 months and they have had a huge fight I managed to split them up and then put them in separate cages next to each other 2 hours later - they fought again through the bars ... so I have now got them in 2 rooms. They are booked in to both be neutered on Thursday (5dayz time) and just wanted advise on how to deal with this:

Do I now keep them apart until the neutering?

Can they be together at the vets if it is a stressful place or should I ask for them to be kept separate?

How do I start re bond process and when is best?

Both bunnies are fine physically.

Thank you

Yes, in my opinion you should keep them apart and out of sight until well after ther neuter, don't know if the 6 weeks which are said to be necessary to render them unfertil applies to their beahviour too, but imho that sounds reasonable, but I have no experience with bonding neutered males myself. It is said that it's easier when they are neutered before puberty is in full swing, but for some reason I don't read much about that on english forums? Here, it's not uncommon.

2 males is the more problematic option for a pair, it's quite normal that they start to fight when puberty hits, and those fights are different to those of females who establish a pecking order. It's not good that they did fight, even after neuter they might remember that this is an opponent although they couldn't tell why anymore.
I guess it's ok at the vets when they are in the same room but different cages, it's neutral territory, I definitly wouldn't put them in the same cage - mood can switch faster than someone can open the door, and they can kill each other.

There are lots of threads about bonding males, and even some succsessful outcomes, so it's not impossible, but I think you need to be extra careful.

Bucks are naturally aggressive towards each other. Even when neutered. They got along because they were still babies, but I really don’t know if they’ll get along as adults now. Could definitely work, but also might not. I hope they do though. Best of luck!

Yup. Keep them totally separate from now until about 6 weeks after neuter surgery. If you try to get them together sooner, it could sabotage their chances since hormones can still be in play.

When it comes time to try to bond them, treat them as if they've never known each other. You'll need neutral territory (some place neither rabbit has ever been before). Ultimately it will be up to the rabbits as to whether or not they will bond.

5E03193B-6D39-4157-A83C-590F548C7BD5.jpeg Hi all!

Just wanted to give you an update!!

My 2 male litter mates have re bonded completely!!! I’m so happy!!

It wasn’t easy, a few little fights over who was going to be boss ... we were all surprised with the outcome! Our shy submissive Peter is now the boss (even though he still doesn’t go anywhere without Lil)

I’ll attach some photos!!
-

View attachment 37627 Hi all!

Just wanted to give you an update!!

My 2 male litter mates have re bonded completely!!! I’m so happy!!

It wasn’t easy, a few little fights over who was going to be boss ... we were all surprised with the outcome! Our shy submissive Peter is now the boss (even though he still doesn’t go anywhere without Lil)

I’ll attach some photos!!
-

That’s awesome!

Latest posts

Back