Advise on ear

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kushy26

Reaction score
So I have a mini lop and unfortunately he has scar tissue in his ear (no injury he was born with it like that). His ear is consequently twisted and sits the wrong way up ie skin faces up fur faces down. We didn’t think this would be too much of an issue and my son said he would love him just as much. Since then the sun has shone (unusual for the uk) and sadly this had caused sun burn in the exposed skin. We asked advice from the vet who suggested we try and bandage it to train it to sit the right way round. He did not like the bandage and kept removing it. He’s been to the vet today for castration and she has had a look at it whilst he was under but felt she couldn’t do anything with it so advised we use sun cream in his ear when it’s a sunny day. Has anyone out there come across this issue before? and if so what was the resolve ? TIA

I know this kind of thing can happen sometimes in albino rabbits with insufficient fur covering the back of their ears, or even the skin on their noses. Same thing in other albino animals like horses. They have fair skin and are more susceptible to sunburn on thinly furred areas of their body like the ears and nose. I would just use the sun cream, one as natural as possible because it will eventually get licked off.

Or maybe your bun wouldn't mind wearing a sun hat :p

Ah thank you 😊... he didn’t like the bandage idea so not sure he’d go for a sun hat 🤔 ... I have thought about fashioning a sock type cover for it with an elasticated hair band to hold it in place 🤗

Latest posts

Back