Advice please (kits dying)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joanne Armstrong

Reaction score
My bunny had 9 babies recently, 2 died a few week ago but had no signs of attack. It was during the first really cold nights and was shortly after she dimantled her nest but today she chewed the neck from one while I was at work and it passed away, they are 6 weeks and 1 day. I have 5 survivors and don't know if I can rehome yet. Some sites say yes others say no. I don't want to lose anymore. She wasn't intentional bred she chewed her way from her hutch into the one below (a bucks)

Attachments

• ECADF50E-A48B-46C8-8A72-D49CB5F65B55.jpeg
    ECADF50E-A48B-46C8-8A72-D49CB5F65B55.jpeg
    685.7 KB · Views: 2
Update
My bunny had 9 babies recently, 2 died a few week ago but had no signs of attack. It was during the first really cold nights and was shortly after she dimantled her nest but today she chewed the neck from one while I was at work and it passed away, they are 6 weeks and 1 day. I have 5 survivors and don't know if I can rehome yet. Some sites say yes others say no. I don't want to lose anymore. She wasn't intentional bred she chewed her way from her hutch into the one below (a bucks)
.... I finally got through to my vet and she advised as long as they are eating independently they can be rehomes. They have been eating properly for a few weeks now. They vet said they can actually leave at around 4-6 weeks if weaned but 8 is better age

Right, in a pinch you can wean them as early as 4 weeks, like when the doe got pregnant right after kindling and the next litter is comming. Keeping the litter together even without the doe for 8 weeks imho helps with sozialising.
Are you sure the doe did this? Not a weasel, mink, or rat, sounds more like it.

Right, in a pinch you can wean them as early as 4 weeks, like when the doe got pregnant right after kindling and the next litter is comming. Keeping the litter together even without the doe for 8 weeks imho helps with sozialising.
Are you sure the doe did this? Not a weasel, mink, or rat, sounds more like it.
It must of been her as there are no holes in her new hutch. And her hutch is also inside a secure shed after we had a rabbit attacked in a hutch in the garden and dragged from its hutch and killed by a local dog. Just shocked as she has been so protective of them. The vet also said our new neighbours dog which barks at our shed could of stressed her as it barks everytime it's out (their garden barks onto ours, with just a fence between)

If you do wean them early and separate them from mom, I would recommend not rehoming them yet but keeping them another week at least, so that they can get used to being separted and weaned from mom before having to deal with the stress of a new home. This will make things less stressful for them if they don't have to get used to being weaned, separated from their siblings and mom, and be in a new home, having all of these changes happen all at once.

Latest posts

Back