Advice on Rabbit Shows

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirstin

Reaction score
So I'm thinking about going to a rabbit show in Loveland, CO on the 12 of Feb. I've never been before... but since I may start showing over the summer, I figured I should go to see what it's like.

Is there any info. or tips a poor newbie needs in order to survive? I might bring a rabbitor two along... so we'll see.

I'm trusting you guys! No funny business... ;)

If you did want to enter some rabbits, you will have to pay a late fee as the entry date has probably passed (the show is tomorrow). Depending on the show, the fee could be about 50 cents more than the regular fee. The show I am attending next weekend is $3.50 for the regular fee and $4 if you enter late. You will need to arrive early, usually an hour before judging to sign in and pay the fee. If you do bring some, limit yourself to 1 or 2 so you can get them to the judging table and not be too stressed trying to figure it all out. You will need to bring them in carriers with food and water as well as your grooming items and any other stuff you may need for them.

If you aren't going to enter rabbits, don't bring them. They will probably be stressed by going to the show and it is not a good idea to bring them if you aren't going to show or do something with them (breed or sell).

Since it is your first show, it might be better to just go without the rabbits and see how it is all run. Find someone you can talk too about showing and even offer to help if needed. Hang around the judging table for a few classes to see what goes on there, if you have a specific breed you want to see make a point of being there for that breeds judging. There can be other stuff going on like raffles, pet classes and auctions that you can check out and even participate in.

Plan to be there for a while, so bring food and water and even a chair. If you bring rabbits then you can have a place to set up, but without rabbits you just have to find a place where you can sit and take a break if needed. There might not be food or drinks avaliable, so either be willing to go somewhere for them or bring your own. Bring a camera, you will probably want to take lots of pictures.

There will be rabbits for sale, so either have carrier (or 2) and cash or decide to not buy anything.

Thanks for the info! It was greatly needed. Is it bad to arrive quite late? Judging starts at 9:00am and the barn opens at 7:00am. I was planning on showing up around noon or 1pm... it's about 2 hours away from my house, and I kinda wanted to sleep in. :p

Also, is it smart to bring business cards?? Thanks again!

Probably best to show up early, if anything just to get into the habit of doing it if your not planning to show your rabbits. As for business cards, might be a good ideal too if you are bringing a few rabbits for show, in case someone does show interest in breeding/buying your rabbits.

i think if you arent showing then 12 or 1 is fine to be there. Especially if its a double show. (this means all breeds are judged twice) Bring extra money for food. If you do want to show your bunnies in an ARBA show you cant do pet classes so know the breed of your rabbit, the sex, and age. Also if you want to show you have to get there early in the morning to check in rabbits and a show is usually an all day thing. I would recommend just going and watching.

my best tip for a show is...... Don't enjoy your sleep. I leave at 3 am for some of my shows, basically meaning I have to get up earlier for a shower, and to load everyone and everything up.

Then all my breeds are uncommon so I'm going to sit there bored all day. I don't see the point in going if you're not showing. They're crowded and a pain in the butt lol. I think I'm a little late with replying, but I would have shown. Honestly its the only way you get the hang of things......and then when you switch breeds some of that stuff changes too.

It depends on how big the show is. Around here if you show up at noon to the fall show the show is almost over and most of the rabbits are gone. For the spring show it is bigger so you can still see rabbits and judging.

Well... I figured I would go to see how it all works, instead of brings rabbits when I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm also buying a rabbit from one of the breeders that will be attending.

Hope you have fun! Let us know what you think of the showing world! Its a different experience i tell you what :)

Once you get into it and stick with one breed for a while and learn the ends and outs with it, its not so hard. It gets easier and easier over time.

AndersonsRabbits wrote:
Once you get into it and stick with one breed for a while and learn the ends and outs with it, its not so hard. It gets easier and easier over time.
This is true

Latest posts

Back