Advice on medication

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biscotti

Reaction score
Hi my lovely mini lop named biscotti who was 11 month old was a house rabbit he was fine on thursday but by friday night noticed he had stopped eating and wouldnt accept treats stopped pooping didnt want to come out his cage and was sitting in corners turning away when interacting with him and also rapid breathing i phoned emergency vets who put me on to a video call to a vet and they suspected gut stasis and to take him in to the vets we got there for 10oclock at night the vet took him had a look came back and said there wasnt anything obvious she could see and that it could possibly be gut stasis and good job we caught it early she gave him 3 injections and medication for at home and to syring feed him through the night and we were home by half 11 he was prescribed meds for us to start the next day one being 0.3mg of buprenorphine to give 0.25ml twice a day for 2 days although the 4 syrings containing medicine are all diff amounts 1 being measured at 0.7ml 0.9ml 0.8ml and 0.6ml yet by the instructions it says 0.25ml which wouldnt even be half of them amounts he was also giving metacam 1.5mg to give 1ml twice per day and emeprid 1mg to be giving 0.84ml 3 times a day and then the liquid feed , so she injected these three meds and sent home i gave him 1 feed at 1oclock in the morning and he just stayed above my head in my bed at 2oclock he came down between me and my partner rolled over as if he was getting comfy he stretched his legs 3 or 4 times as if he didnt have enough room so my partner moved over and he done a light kick one more time his eyes wide open not blinking and i just new he was gone i carnt help feeling so guilty that he may of had to much medication and carnt help thinking what if , if anyone has been through similar experience id appreciate it would like a bit of peace of mind he was still a baby with so much personality

I'm so sorry you lost your bun. I did lose a bun, that I believe was due to the medication she was on for a UTI, but not from overdose. I believe she had a negative reaction to it.

In regards to your rabbits medication, I would suggest discussing it with your vet. There should have been very precise medicating instructions given to you, so there was no confusion as to the proper amounts you needed to administer. Hopefully you'll be able to get the answers that you need to put your mind at ease, as difficult and heartbreaking as this whole situation is.

I'm so sorry you lost your bun. I did lose a bun, that I believe was due to the medication she was on for a UTI, but not from overdose. I believe she had a negative reaction to it.

In regards to your rabbits medication, I would suggest discussing it with your vet. There should have been very precise medicating instructions given to you, so there was no confusion as to the proper amounts you needed to administer. Hopefully you'll be able to get the answers that you need to put your mind at ease, as difficult and heartbreaking as this whole situation is.
Thanks for replying i carnt help feel that if i didnt take him to the vets he may of still been here and gave him some tummy massages syring feed ect although i did go thro medication instructions with the vet it wasnt until the next day when we were ment to start them then i noticed the different amounts and labelled wrong on a certain one which makes me think she couldve give him to much of something that night he didnt even last 2 hours from leaving the vets left a massive hole in my heart not sure i could go on to get another as its to much heart break

Latest posts

Back