Advice on grooming mats out my rabbit's face

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mordecai

Reaction score
Ava's had a rough couple months and about 3 weeks ago, she had to get her eye removed. Its finally healing up and she doesn't seem to be in pain anymore, so I wanna tackle grooming her face. Over the few weeks of her recovery, her face has gotten very messy and matted between the medicine, critical care, and such. She's never been very patient with grooming so its always been slow going, but her face needs some serious work. To make things harder, she's much more skittish about me touching her face right now because I was the one who was flushing out the socket, giving meds and injections and such after her surgery. She's a lionhead mix so she has longer fur. I've thought about trying to shave her face but I really don't wanna accidentally cut her whiskers since she needs those more than ever.

Poor Ava. Why did she have to have her eye removed? We had a guinea pig, Weasel, whose eye was infected from a molar tooth. Hope Ava gradually becomes willing to let you softly touch her face, soak off debris, and brish her.

Poor Ava. Why did she have to have her eye removed? We had a guinea pig, Weasel, whose eye was infected from a molar tooth. Hope Ava gradually becomes willing to let you softly touch her face, soak off debris, and brish her.
She had an infection that caused several abscesses, including 2 behind her left eye. The eye itself was okay, but the abscess was pushing the eye out of the socket and was going to cause it to rupture. So they took out the eye and drained the abscesses. It wasn't caused by her teeth, though that was the first theory, but instead she has a systemic infection from an unknown cause. The infection is also in her lungs but with the antibiotic injections she's been doing very well.

Latest posts

Back