Advice needed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justjan

Reaction score
So a few years ago my rabbit died overnight. She was only 6 months old. On a Thursday night she was running around, digging in paper, eating and peeing, and pooping normally, and just having an all around good time. Friday evening she was not herself. Would not come out to play. Would not eat her beloved kale. Was just not great. We have no vet that treats rabbits 24 hours so I went to bed planning an early morning so I could take her in. I got up bright and early on Saturday hoping to get her in ASAP but she had already passed away. It was devastating. The reason I bring all this up now is that I’d love to get another rabbit but I’m terrified of going through something similar. Is this a common occurrence in rabbits? I’d had rabbits when I was younger and never had anything like this happen. Any thoughts? Thanks for reading.

Not eating or refusing a favored food is usually a sign of GI stress. But GI stress isn't going to kill a rabbit in one day. It must have been something else.

Unless you had a necropsy performed, there is no way to tell what it could have been. It is very possible that is was something she had going on that wasn't apparent or she was born with. It could have had nothing to do with anything you did or didn't do.

If you have the option of getting another rabbit from a rabbit rescue, (not sure where you live) but that would be a good option. Rescue rabbits are typically vet-checked and fixed.

So a few years ago my rabbit died overnight. She was only 6 months old. On a Thursday night she was running around, digging in paper, eating and peeing, and pooping normally, and just having an all around good time. Friday evening she was not herself. Would not come out to play. Would not eat her beloved kale. Was just not great. We have no vet that treats rabbits 24 hours so I went to bed planning an early morning so I could take her in. I got up bright and early on Saturday hoping to get her in ASAP but she had already passed away. It was devastating. The reason I bring all this up now is that I’d love to get another rabbit but I’m terrified of going through something similar. Is this a common occurrence in rabbits? I’d had rabbits when I was younger and never had anything like this happen. Any thoughts? Thanks for reading.
Something happened like this to me and i have no clue what happened. I would totally get another rabbit.

I don't know what happened, but my rabbits have helped me through really hard times. I would totally advise getting another bun. ( female name suggestion Cadbury )

Latest posts

Back