Advice needed on two special needs bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyMama1

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here. I've had pet rabbits most of my life but I haven't came across these particular problems before and was looking for some advice. I rescued two unwanted bunnies today. Both are lops. Both are male(not related).
I was told that one of them has been blind from the nest box. He's very active and loving, and it doesn't slow him down at all, but he has a whitish discharge coming from one eye. Person told me it's due to changing of weather but I don't know if I believe that. Both are are cloudy so I'm pretty sure he is indeed blind. He also had an issue with urinating as it seems he's getting it all over his legs. I was wondering if anyone else has had these issues and or heard of these problems?
The second rabbit I was told had heat stroke about 4 months ago and that left him wobbly when nervous. He seems wobbly anytime he moves, he can move around pretty well but not like a normal rabbit. Hes also vert active, sweet and has no problems with food or water. Does heat stroke cause long term effects? I just don't know if I believe it either. Has anyone ever heard of this either??
I do plan on contacting a vet as I just got them today and none was open. I'm just hoping for opinions or advice from other bunny mommies that have more knowledge than me.

So the white discharge means there is a likely eye infection, which would need treatment right away. The cloudiness in the eyes is likely due to the eye infection. The eyesight is probably permanently gone even after you get the infection treated, but you never know. Depending on the severity, the eyes themselves may even need to be removed.
http://myhouserabbit.com/rabbit-health/conjunctivitis-in-young-rabbits/

The urinary incontinence is most likely due to a UTI, bladder sludge(hypercalciuria), or a combination of the two. The vet will likely put your bun on antibiotic eye drops and an oral antibiotic like baytril, so that will take care of a possible UTI. If his urine is gritty, or thick and creamy, then it's bladder sludge which would need possible flushing by the vet and a change to a low calcium diet. Urine soaked fur will also put him at risk of urine scald of the skin, and the wet fur can also be an attractant for flies which can put him at risk of possible flystrike where maggots hatch in the wet fur and eat into the skin, which is very dangerous to the rabbit and can prove fatal in only a matter of hours. So it's important to try and keep the urine cleaned off, keep the fur as dry as possible, and check him regularly throughout the day to make sure this doesn't occur, until you are able to get him into the vet to get treated.
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/urinary.html

Heat stroke can cause permanent neurological damage, so it is possible that is the cause of the wobbliness in your bun. There are other possibilities as well, such as e. cuniculi. But if the bun was confirmed to have had heat stroke and the unsteadiness started following the episode, then I would presume that the heat stroke is the cause of the neurological damage and not something else.

Here's a link for rabbit savvy vets if you don't already have one. Best of luck. I hope the visit to the vet goes well and both buns are going to be ok.
https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

Thank you so much for all the information. And the list of vets, as I'm not having luck finding a vet that cares for small and furries. I have them in their own cages but they are in the same room as my other rabbits, if this is indeed e. cuniculi. Is it contagious to my other bunnies, my pet rats or myself?

Latest posts

Back