Advice needed, it looks like we are

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hummer

Reaction score
Well, we will be moving towards the middle ofthe year so I have some time. It will be a interesting tripto say the least, not only do we have Miffy, but we also have a 20 yearold cat and a 5 year old dog plus the 3 kids!

My question being would it be easier on Miffy to find her a new ownerhere or to take her on the trip all the way across thecountry? We will be driving and if she does stay here, thecage she is in will stay with us as we will use it for the dog (he isabout 75 lbs) for the trip and I would like the outdoor house my hubbymade for her to stay with her because she really does like it.

I am just not sure if it would be a good trip for her or not, plus theweather is drastically different then here and not sure if she couldhandle the cold there. (Not to mention the dog won't like iteither, imagine a 75 lb dog wearing a knitted sweater!)

If she does stay here, then the home I would find would be with someone who would really take care of her, not just anyone.

Any thoughts...?

the cold shouldnt be much of an issue, unless you wanted to keep her outside...

as for driving... were you planning on just driving until you get thereor could you maybe take some time? and how has she reacted to car ridesbefore? I know that our bun pepper can handle 6 hours in a car, gaelynon the other hand doesnt handle it well... and forget about our cat,omg.

Where in Ca do you live? {bad windy, bad}

Personally i would take my buns with me, it'll be scary either way... long car ride or new parents/ new home.

Good luck with your move :)

I moved from California to Florida and drove thewhole way by myself with Sparky and Scooter. They were alittle miffed at me the first day, but overall handled the car tripjust fine.

I think that moving would probably be less stressful than changing families.

i definitely agree.. if she changed families,she would feel abandoned and scared.. actually traveling acrosscountry, she may be a bit annoyed at you, but she'll forgive you!rabbits travel a lot better than we give them credit for.

When I moved from New York to Florida, the twobuns I had at the time weren't quite bonded yet (they were sisters).The 1500 mile road trip (over a span of four days) did the trick! Ohthe adventures we had! The funniest being sneaking them into(and out of) a hotel in Savanah, GA in a duffel bag!:shock:That was their favorite night b/c I set up a bunny-safe areaunderneath desk in the hotel room, and they got to stretch their legsreal good.

I agree with what the others are saying, take your bun with you! If shecould speak she'd probably say something like "Why leave me behind?What did I do wrong? I love you, take me with you!!":bunnydance:

Well, after a lot of thought, I have decidedthat we will bring her to New Jersey with us!:elephant: When I really started to think about it, I startedto get excited as we are going to try to buy a house with at least anacre or so and I want to build her a real outdoor enclosure with thehutch that hubby has already built for her. She really likesto go outside (I don't have to coax her into the carrier to take her tothe hutch, she goes in on her own) but it is not big enough for her todo binkys.

Yay! I just read this thread and was also goingto suggest that changing families would probably be more stressful onyour bunny than moving. I'm so glad you're going to keep her! And havefun house-hunting too...that can be so exciting, finding the perfectplace to live. :) Sounds like 2006 will be an adventurous year for you!

Oh the adventures we had! The funniest being sneaking them into(and out of) a hotel in Savanah, GA in a duffel bag
Frith, I could just picture your poor bunnies in a duffel bag,smuggling them in after dark...LOL! Actually your story reminded me ofa trip I went on with my family when I was just 11...this was back in1969. My dad decided to drive down to the States, and he had 3 kids intow, along with our housekeeper. He didn't want to bother gettingsomeone to take care of Charlie (our beagle-mix dog), so he brought himalong too. He actually smuggled him across the border by putting him atour feet and covering him with a blanket, and then when we were in NChe smuggled him into a motel room with us for the night. Halfwaythrough the night however, Charlie had crawled under one of the bedsand was in the midst of scratching his neck when one of his claws gothung up in his collar. I never knew a beagle could howl so loudly! Talkabout a mad scramble to get to him so we wouldn't all be turned out onthe street in the middle of the night...:D

Hummer -- I'm so glad you're bringing your bunwith you! Building a special enclosure for her outdoors sounds great!If we end up moving to Alabama, I'd like to do something similiar formy buns so they can have play time outside too!

Bassetluv - :laugh: Holy smokes, I can just picture the scramble to get to the howling dog!

Yea, i live in nyc and the whether isnt that bad. lol....seriously, i take my rabbits out for walks in the winter. they love it....and you hardly see dogs walking around in knitted sweaters. I think its us humans who are the ones that hate the cold!

I'm glad you're taking your bunny with. I'm sure that it was the right decision.

Latest posts

Back