Advice for suddenly lone bun

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lara Klopp

Reaction score
We have a bun who was part of a bonded pair for 6 years (we adopted them within weeks of each other). He is so sweet and friendly, I'm heartbroken for him to be alone, but we're not getting another bun so I don't want to have an ongoing stream of buns.

Did anyone go through this? Do you think it's better to keep him alone, though we're around all the time, and pet him, or find him a home with other buns? Also he has a really big space, and lots of areas in his pen, and I wouldn't want him to be somewhere that he is locked in a cage or something small.

I'd appreciate any advice or thought for what would be best for him. He's the sweetest friendliest bun - bonding them was so easy. We had him first, and he was like "come on in, I love you, I'll give you all the space or snuggling you want." She was a bit of a cranky bun, but she loved him almost immediately, and he was always so patient with her.

Thanks.

Lara

Attachments

• IMG_20200318_171653.jpg
    IMG_20200318_171653.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 8
That is so cute, I am sorty for your loss. I would give him a few weeks and see if he gets better. Give him something of hers so he has a little bit of her, but otherwise just wait.

That is so cute, I am sorty for your loss. I would give him a few weeks and see if he gets better. Give him something of hers so he has a little bit of her, but otherwise just wait.

Thank you. I'd happily keep him for the rest of his life if I thought he was happy, he's sweet and no trouble ... but I just don't want to be selfish and keep him for our sake.

I'm so sorry:(! Anyway, he needs to say his goodbyes. Get a blanket or toy of hers and put it where he can lay next to it. He will stay beside it for a while and then ignore it, once he starts to ignore it you can remove it. After that, he should begin to go back to normal, but it will take a while.

Last edited:
Thank you. I'd happily keep him for the rest of his life if I thought he was happy, he's sweet and no trouble ... but I just don't want to be selfish and keep him for our sake.
That is very kind but he needs time to go through his grieving process, it can take up to a year! You will know if he needs to move but just wait.

Many rabbits do just fine as single buns -- if they are indoors and interacting with their people. It sounds like he is a fine candidate to be a happily single bun. I have had single buns (happen to have one now). Once I had a rabbit that really seemed to need a bondmate, but others have seemed quite content to be single. My current bun actually has grown out of his shy shell after the loss of his bondmate. He binkies about and seems quite content.

I have only had solo buns over the years. Hope he adjusts. I think it is the sudden change in his case.

I currently have a solo bunny and she's doing just fine with human interaction. Thankfully my boyfriend is home around the clock so I don't have to worry about her feeling alone. Give your rabbit some time to grieve, it may take awhile but hopefully he'll be back to his rabbit self.

Latest posts

Back