Advice for getting a "boy-friend" for my rabbit.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gelliebean

Reaction score
My girl is getting spayed on Dec 7th. When her hormones completely clear out of her body, my mom told me she would be open to me finding a boy bunny for her to live with. I've been checking the humane society and have a few rabbits in mind that I would want to take home. Our humane society has a "patient paws" program where the animals that have been there for a really long time have a negotiable adoption fee. Even though my mom hates red eyes, I'm hoping my girl will be compatible with the red eyed fellow who's white and has the cutest grey nose.

But there's a part of me that's hesitant about getting another rabbit. Not necessarily about the double cost for food/vet bills, but more if my rabbits don't get along. Momo is completely free roamed in my bedroom and I don't have the space to seperate my room into two, and I don't think she'd like that either. I see some rabbits taking years to stop fighting. I'm worried if Momo doesn't get along with the new rabbit I'll have to give them up again. When I make my adoption appointment for January, I want to make sure Momo is allowed to come to see who she is most compatible with.

The other question is, do you think she needs a companion? I do work an 8AM-5PM job. She is free roamed in my bunny proofed room the whole day and after work and on the weekends, she is with me 24/7. She also spends time with me while I'm sleeping. She enjoys grooming me while I sleep and jumping onto me and over me. Luckily most nights, I'm a heavy sleeper. Doing research she doesn't show any signs of rabbit loneliness, and she does binkies and zoomies all day.

Many rabbits, especially those housed indoors with plenty of roaming and interaction time, are just fine and content as single buns. She certainly sounds like one of them.

If you just want a 2nd rabbit yourself, then you can certainly try to bond her. If you decide to go that route, it's critical to let your girl do the choosing of which bun she will accept. It can be more difficult to bring a male to the home of an established female. Females can be particularly territorial.

You mentioned humane society. Have you checked for actual "rabbit rescues"? I assume (but don't know for sure) if they have those in Canada. With rabbit rescues, they are much more familiar with the complexities of rabbit bonding and are more likely to work with you and your rabbit. If one rabbit just refuses to get along with yours, they allow exchange.

But if you are content with having just the one rabbit, there isn't a pressing reason, in my opinion, to get a second one. It's up to you.

Hey, I just found a rabbit rescue in Calgary...
http://www.aaorr.com/HTML/foradoption.html
I've also heard of these guys. I will email when my girl might be ready to be bonded to another rabbit. I'll talk to both and see which rescue might have bachelors that would suit Momo the best. Then hopefully despite COVID we can bring her in and let her speed date.

The benefit of rescue is if anything does not work out long-term, any reputable rescue will accept their rescued bun back. I see Blue Eye's response about exchange/s. (Hopefully you'll never encounter an over capacity scenario.)

Rescues with savvy humans are versed in personalities of their fostered buns. And they've already paid for spay/neuter or wellness exams. Knowledgeable rabbit humans can also help with dating concerns and there's tons of info out there on dating. Long-term always think financially if you can afford two rabbits. I see that you have!
It sounds like Momo is indeed attached to you with her grooming efforts. How sweet. Truly the sight of having a harmonious bun couple snuggle with each other is a joy! ~ All the best as you ponder this decision once Momo has healed from hormonal "fixing" and her spay surgery.

Bunnies do like to choose their own friends or partners.

Early ear rubs to Momo pre-surgery.

Make sure you explain all your concerns to the rescue when you visit - or in correspondence ahead of time.

There were times when we had to interrupt arguments with our bonded pairs. Mostly occurred when salad bowls were coming. The female partner choosing to wear the pants and be dominant over hubby.

If Momo has free roam time and completely Owns your bedroom, just be careful with under the bed spaces.

Did you happen to view some of the available buns shown at that link? There are some real cute males. 🥰
I saw!!! Yes they are super adorable, I also really like one of the girls they have with only one leg. Unfortunately I don't think I have the right household for her to live happily, especially since she can't be spayed and bonded to another bun.

Have you ever noticed your bond changing when you got a second bun? She's free roamed and chooses to sleep in the bed with me, waking me up with kisses when my alarm clock goes off. I usually spend some time giving her some love and I just thought how happy she is and if our bond would change if I got her a boyfriend.

Latest posts

Back