Advice for a 5 year old lionhead?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarantathewitch

Reaction score
Let me start by saying I am a first time rabbit owner. I've owned my lionhead Fiver for almost 3 years. She was born in 2017 and I am her second owner.
She suddenly started having issues with wet bottom and the vet pointed towards arthritis.
I am having issues keeping her clean. She is currently in a very large enclosed cage and does her business on one side of the cage which I scoop daily. I've tried different methods including lining with news paper, coconut bedding, fleece, keeping her skirt clipped short and more. We are still experiencing bouts of wet bottom. The vet isn't well experienced with rabbits and stated when rabbits become arthritic they often struggle to keep themselves clean. Any recommendations? I have her in this cage with the large hutch extension.
We previously built her a habitat using the panels but she is a very grumpy private girl who was miserable. So i purchased this cage. Wabbitat Deluxe XL Rabbit Home

I try and keep her cage very clean and give her bunny "butt" baths but it seems we are still struggling. Any recommendations are appreciated. We don't experience it all the time but I would love recommendations for what to maybe like her cage with. I tried different litter boxes. Some even for rabbits but it seems she struggles to get in them. I just want to keep my little girl as happy and healthy as I can!

Attachments

• 20210223_232638.jpg
    20210223_232638.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 6
When our poor Arnold couldnt walk suddenly, i got puppy pads from the pet store and hand towels from the dollar store. That way i could put him on towels with puppy pads on top and change them, to keep him clean and dry (as best i could). Sadly he died suddenly. Does the vet have any suggestions for pain meds or analgesia for your bunny’s arthritis? Arnold had spine xrays but they didnt show anything. He just suddenly couldnt feel hos toes, walk, groom, or keep himself clean when toileting. Some people recommended powders like cornstarch to keep the bunny dry. There are websites d blogs devoted to care for disabled bunnies. I hope your bunny gets better, that something temporaryis happening. I know with arthritis, the pain comes and goes.

I don't know much about her previous life and when I got her, she was severely obese. We have worked on her weight. I've thought of trying to put some sort of tray in the corner since she has a corner she always does her business in, I just haven't been able to figure out the logistics lol

They screened her for a UTI and also did some blood work. All came back normal. I have never seen another rabbit with such a large what I call "skirt" and I've been trying to just keep it trimmed well.

Our bunny showed some bladder sludge just on a simple xray, so that might be an option to check her gi and urinary tracts.

Before this all happened, did she use a litter box?
Is she currently in that new cage only or is it surrounded by an ex-pen (I couldn't quite follow your description)? Is she able to get in and out of that cage on her own?

Latest posts

Back