Advantage

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am planning on using Advantage for my flemmish since I cannot get Revolution without a prescription. I have read many of the flea treatment posts and they say this is a safe treatment and to use the kitten dose. Will this be the correct dose for an 18 lbs Flemmish or is it safe to buy the cat version in her weight category?

There is only 2 tenths of a millileters difference between the large cat and the 11 to 20lb dog size. Since your average "large cat" is somewhere around 13 or 14lbs, not 18 as your flemmie I'd probably go with the dog product....we have used the dog product on supersize cats when it didn't seem to be getting the job done :) .2mls is nowhere close to an overdose of the product and if it isn't much more cost wise I'd go with it if it were me....that said, if there is a major difference in the dollar amount, I'd probably go with the cat product....bottom line, the tiny amount of difference in the amount is not much to worry about either way.

Duh, I just realized you were talking between cat sizes which kinda still works out the same given that the dog and cat sizes sorta overlap at a point. BUT, to simplify matters there is .4 mls in the medium up to 9lb cat size...there is .8 in the very large cat size. Altho it's double the product, it's still a very small amount realitively speaking. I'd say that since most bunnies are not over the 9 pound mark the smaller dose is normally recommended, but for a bun double that or more the larger size might be called for instead.

I use the dog product but only use about 2 drops on my flemmies. If they need more a couple of days later - I'll use another drop or so.

DO NOT USE ADVANTIX!!! There is a difference between this and Advantage!

Buy the one in her weight catagory (the lesser one the better for buns), I much prefer revolution, and if you phone around, some naughty clinics will dispense it without seeing the animal. I've found alot of clients complain that advantage wears off before its "month" is up. But both are 100% safe.

Advantage multi is a fair bit more dangerous, both the cat and dog version have the same ingredients, yet theres lots of warnings on the dog box about keeping it away from cats. I wouldn't touch it.

Advantage 2 is more for if you have a current infestation of fleas and want them killed quick, you would use this in combonation with normal advantage.

you would want the regular advantage, but it's still not the best product.

I honestly think your best bet is to phone around and find a clinic that will sell you Revolution without visiting them with your animal. Lots will do it, you just have to find them.

Regular advantage is the old stuff...the only difference in it and the "II" is that the the 2 has an insect gowth regulator in it thus taking care of the flea eggs and larva, I'm not sure but I'd think this is still a safe product...the advantage multi is an entirely different deal and contains an extra ingredient called Moxidectin which addresses heartworm, hookworm and round worm, and has some affect on earmites and the sarcoptic mite. I sure don't know, maybe someone else does...if this product is safe for rabbits. For now I'd stick with plain advantage.

Oh, and just a side note...there is no reason to use advantage and advantage II together as you would only be double dosing. Advantage II still has the same ingredientimidacloprid just with an added medication for larval and egg control called moxidectin :biggrin2:

Latest posts

Back