Quantcast

(ADULT CONTENT) Am I the only one watching the ACORN storires and being shocked?

Help Support RabbitsOnline:

TinysMom

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2005
Messages
15,929
Reaction score
42
Location
, Texas, USA
I'm just curious if there are others on here who are watching the stories about ACORN on FoxNews (no other channels seem to be carrying them) and if you're also in shock about what has been happening.

The good thing is - the Census Bureau has now cut their ties with ACORN for the 2010 census - and the Senate voted yesterday something like 83-7 to defund Acorn's grants. Plus now it looks like maybe the Maryland offices were running illegally as the ACORN charter was not renewed for that state?

I understand that today's video is supposed to be even more disturbing than the others...
 

anneq

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2009
Messages
953
Reaction score
0
Location
Los Angeles CA
Been watching these and indeed - it is VERY disturbing.

I cannot imagine someone actually helping a (supposed) pimp and prostitute find ways to succeed with business - and one that involves the importation of underage girls soley for the purpose of selling sex. Disgusting!

Thumbs up to these two young people for exposing part of the underbelly of this organization - where the heck is 'mainstream' media?


 

BethM

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2008
Messages
2,294
Reaction score
1
Location
Shawnee, Kansas, USA
I'm too busy being shocked and disgusted about Blackwater, Wackenhut, and hypocrite elected officials to even think about ACORN.
 

anneq

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2009
Messages
953
Reaction score
0
Location
Los Angeles CA
JadeIcing wrote:
Nice... Thanks for the link. I don't watch much news just read online.
Same here - I haven't watched mainstream news stations for ages...I usually read mine online or listen to certain radio programs.
 

TinysMom

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2005
Messages
15,929
Reaction score
42
Location
, Texas, USA
JadeIcing wrote:
Alicia - let me share the backstory first and I'll give the links at the end.

A 20 year old girl who admits to being an activist (conservative) was out jogging one night and got turned around and into the wrong area of town - she wound up in front of an ACORN office and found herself wondering, "I wonder what would happen if I went into ACORN as a prostitute and asked for help in getting housing...".

She contacted a friend of hers - James O'Keefe who is also a conservative activist and they worked for 6 weeks on a plan.

The scenario they came up with - was that she was going to be a prostitute and he was her boyfriend. She wanted to get away from her pimp and get set up in a house where she could house some underage illegal alien girls who were being shipped in to work as prostitutes. Part of the money from this was going to go to fund her boyfriend's run for office in a couple years (a local election).

How could she get a house for her business when banks and stuff were discriminating against her due to her line of work?

From what I understand - the story "broke" on biggovernmet.com first and Fox News picked it up and reported it. They had nothing to do with the making of the videos...

The first video that was shown was from Baltimore, Maryland. The girl was advised to start a bank account and deposit some of the money in that - and also to start filing taxes. Since there is no "code" in the tax law for prostitution - they came up with the one for "performing arts" if I remember right. She was told that perhaps they could find a way to claim "some" of the underage illegals as dependents on the taxes.

Of course ACORN refuted the videos - but they also fired the two workers.

The next day (Friday) - another video was released - this time from Washington, DC. Those two workers were fired by ACORN also and that night - the news came out that the census bureau had severed their ties with ACORN for the 2010 census.

ACORN stated that these people had tried this scam in other places and been removed from the premises (or something like that) - and they mentioned specifically New York City.

So....what gets released? The New York City video...where Hannah is told to list her occupation as "freelancer" - to open two bank accounts - at two different banks - that James should buy the house and rent it to her (so he has no knowledge of her activities) and then to gift him money for his campaign - she should give it ot a friend of his who can then give it to him - and it won't be coming from an illegal activity that way.

Yesterday the Senate voted 83 - 7 to defund ACORN's grants (I think the housing ones). It was also announced that the New York district attorney is looking into investigating ACORN's activities.

In addition - I read earlier today where it turns out that ACORN should not have been operating in Maryland because their charter expired 2 years ago (I think?) and was never renewed by the national organization...

Now I have a quick question for y'all....

Why is it that this hasn't been on MSNBC, CNN, ABC, CBS, NBC or in most of the major newspapers? It caused enough of a problem for the census bureau to cut their ties with acorn and for the Senate to vote 83-7 about defunding them?

The latest video to come out is from San Bernadino and it is a doozy...the woman even offers to threaten someone they've talked to in order to help cover them...after all - she killed her husband and got away with it.

From what I understand - there are more videos to come - not sure how many.

Here are the links:

http://biggovernment.com/

http://www.foxnews.com/index.html - you can find some videos there from Glenn Beck and others who have been following this story.



I'm about to go watch the San Bernadino videos on Fox - but the two things that bother me the most - are...

1. Why aren't other news outlets covering this - since it has been enough to make the census bureau and our senate take action?

2. Why is it that no one so far has seemed concerned about the underage alien girls being smuggled into the country for this "work"? Hannah is told to teach her girls to "keep their mouth shut" ....and is told how to "claim them as dependents". I think the woman in San Bernadino advises them to make it look like a school so that no one will suspect anything.

When did we stop becoming shocked at something like this?
 

TinysMom

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2005
Messages
15,929
Reaction score
42
Location
, Texas, USA
Two more things I want to be sure and point out..

1. These two young people admit that they are "activists" and are very clear to state that in the interviews they've done, etc. They wanted to investigate to see what ACORN would do...but they did come at this from their conservative activist leanings.

2. ACORN has threatened lawsuits against both the people producing this - and Fox News for showing it. Both have said, "Bring it on" - because a lawsuit means that there would be a discovery period where books and files could be investigated, etc.

Oh - and even though ACORN is saying the videos are doctored, etc. - they are still firing the employees who are in the videos.
 

BethM

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2008
Messages
2,294
Reaction score
1
Location
Shawnee, Kansas, USA
TinysMom wrote:
2. Why is it that no one so far has seemed concerned about the underage alien girls being smuggled into the country for this "work"? Hannah is told to teach her girls to "keep their mouth shut" ....and is told how to "claim them as dependents". I think the woman in San Bernadino advises them to make it look like a school so that no one will suspect anything.

When did we stop becoming shocked at something like this?
My local NPR affiliate does regular shows about human trafficking, mostly in regards to sex work. The latest one they did (this is on one of the local shows they do, before the national shows, with a broad range of topics, from movie critics to political roundtable) was just aired on Sept. 1, in fact. One of the guests was a girl from Eastern Europe who was a former sex slave. The show I heard previous to that was about girls from the Carribbean, being used for sex and domestic slaves, in this country.
The year before last, a "nail parlor" was shut down, in my town, that was holding illegal immigrant girls and forcing them to work as sex slaves.

It is a HUGE problem. But it's one of those things that is so huge, I feel bewildered at how to do anything about it.



Other than this thread, I haven't heard any details about this. (I avoid Fox news like the plague!) If you search on MSNBC or CNN websites, there are articles about it. As far as this not being on the air anywhere but Fox.......It's a sad fact that news shows now air stories that will be of interest to their target audience. So, Fox is all over this story that smears a liberal organization, and MSNBC is going to be showing stories that smear conservative organizations.
I'm not trying to bash Fox or MSNBC about this, but that's my opinion of the current news media climate. Ratings.

 

TinysMom

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2005
Messages
15,929
Reaction score
42
Location
, Texas, USA
I've added the warning "Adult Content" since we'r ediscussing some of these topics.
 

mardigraskisses

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2008
Messages
515
Reaction score
0
Location
, Tennessee, USA
BethM wrote:
Other than this thread, I haven't heard any details about this. (I avoid Fox news like the plague!) If you search on MSNBC or CNN websites, there are articles about it. As far as this not being on the air anywhere but Fox.......It's a sad fact that news shows now air stories that will be of interest to their target audience. So, Fox is all over this story that smears a liberal organization, and MSNBC is going to be showing stories that smear conservative organizations.
I'm not trying to bash Fox or MSNBC about this, but that's my opinion of the current news media climate. Ratings.
:yeahthat:



I didn't realize they were talking about underage girls. :scared:
 

BethM

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2008
Messages
2,294
Reaction score
1
Location
Shawnee, Kansas, USA
mardigraskisses wrote:
BethM wrote:
Other than this thread, I haven't heard any details about this. (I avoid Fox news like the plague!) If you search on MSNBC or CNN websites, there are articles about it. As far as this not being on the air anywhere but Fox.......It's a sad fact that news shows now air stories that will be of interest to their target audience. So, Fox is all over this story that smears a liberal organization, and MSNBC is going to be showing stories that smear conservative organizations.
I'm not trying to bash Fox or MSNBC about this, but that's my opinion of the current news media climate. Ratings.
:yeahthat:



I didn't realize they were talking about underage girls. :scared:

Case in point: While Fox was covering the ACORN thing, Countdown was covering the fact that Joe "you lie" Wilson, who stated after hisoutburst that he was a (former?) immigration attorney, is not now, nor has EVER been, an immigration attorney. He was, in fact, a real estate attorney. Maybe that should be Joe "I lie" Wilson?



The ACORN thing was, indeed, on Wednesday night's NBC broadcast news. Not sure about the other networks.

(To maximize my news consumption, I am usually a day behind in the news cycle. I watch the previous day's Daily Show and Colbert Report during dinner, then I podcast Countdown, Rachel Maddow, and NBC broadcast news and listen to them the following morning while I'm at work. I also podcast 60 Minutes, to listen to on Monday, and NPR's Planet Money podcast which has a lot of good financial/economic news, and tries to explain complex issues/ideas; that's 3x per week.)
 

BethM

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2008
Messages
2,294
Reaction score
1
Location
Shawnee, Kansas, USA
I wanted to say that myexample seems politically slanted, and I don't mean it to be. I merely intended to reiterate that the cable news shows tailor their content to suit their audience. Personally, I think that all corrupt people/politicians/organizations should be exposed, regardless of political leanings. I am interested in the truth.
 

Wabbitdad12

Retired Moderator
Joined
Aug 19, 2007
Messages
8,668
Reaction score
16
Location
The Bunny Zone, Elkhart , Indiana, USA
Funny thing to me is no one was concerned about their practices prior to the election last year, not that it would have made any difference in the outcome. Despite them trying to register the dead etc. They must have gotten lessons from the Daleys in Chicago!

Just glad they are finally getting what they deserve.
 

TinysMom

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2005
Messages
15,929
Reaction score
42
Location
, Texas, USA
BethM wrote:
I wanted to say that myexample seems politically slanted, and I don't mean it to be. I merely intended to reiterate that the cable news shows tailor their content to suit their audience. Personally, I think that all corrupt people/politicians/organizations should be exposed, regardless of political leanings. I am interested in the truth.
Conservative or liberal - I think we could all pretty much agree on this.

I was just stuck in a doctor's office for 3 hours (long long story) and joy oh joy - I got to listen to 3 hours of CNN's "channel" (I guess?) - HLN.

Wonderful....just...yeah.

I think I've had enough "news" of any sort for a while!
 

BethM

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2008
Messages
2,294
Reaction score
1
Location
Shawnee, Kansas, USA
TinysMom wrote:
BethM wrote:
I wanted to say that myexample seems politically slanted, and I don't mean it to be. I merely intended to reiterate that the cable news shows tailor their content to suit their audience. Personally, I think that all corrupt people/politicians/organizations should be exposed, regardless of political leanings. I am interested in the truth.
Conservative or liberal - I think we could all pretty much agree on this.

I absolutely agree with you, Peg!

I tend to avoid CNN anyway. Every time I get stuck watching it (dr's office, waiting for car service, etc), there is just too much non-news. I'm not interested in watching celebrity gossip and sports stuff, especially when they replay the same stories over and over and over and over......... And they mix it all in with "real" news, as if it's all equally important. Whatever!


 

Latest posts

Top